Gigabyte Z77 D3H BIOS flash failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gigabyte Z77 D3H BIOS flash failure

I left the battery out of the board overnight and I tried either one (but only one) of the known working sticks of memory.

I removed my GTX 670 and tried just the onboard GPU.

EDIT: Now I have got the main PC up and going I will try again with the board to see if resurrection is possible, fingers crossed :)

EDIT 2:

And so it starts...

Last edited by VimesUK; 07-28-2012, 09:47 AM.
    Gigabyte DS3H Z77 board (being repaired) GA-Z77X-UD5H. 3570k CPU. 2x4GB Corsair LP DDR3 memory. Asus GTX 670 2GB GPU.

Comment

I am now a believer of life after death, resurrection forever....

after finally getting the key combinations correct for the boot procedure...

and then....

a great many thanks for the help to Acebmxer and wazza300 :)

I could not believe it when I finally managed to get the power switch and PSU power combo correct and then I saw the back up bios screen image telling me that the main bios is corrupted and that it was restoring it..!

My faith in a dual bios has been restored, like my board :)

A great result and thanks ever so much for your help.
      Last edited by VimesUK; 07-28-2012, 11:39 AM.
      Gigabyte DS3H Z77 board (being repaired) GA-Z77X-UD5H. 3570k CPU. 2x4GB Corsair LP DDR3 memory. Asus GTX 670 2GB GPU.

Comment

hooorahhh for dual bios's
        Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
        Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
        Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
        Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
        1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
        1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
        Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
        Razer Lycosa Keyboard
        Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
        Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
        K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
        L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
        Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
        Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
        http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
        Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Congrats on saving your board. Were you able to successfully flash the bios again?
          Main Rig
          Gigabyte z87x-OC
          Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
          G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
          Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
          Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
          HiS ATI HD 6950
          Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
          Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
          Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
          Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
          CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
          Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
          EK Supremacy Cpu Block
          Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
          Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Comment

Even though I had downloaded the F16a BIOS I decided against using it. Instead I flashed the previous beta BIOS Z77D3H.F15f for no other reason than I know it worked.
            Whether the F16a would have worked fine or not I decided that I did not need to try and risk that again for no perceivable gain.

I appreciate the help I have received, so again thanks for that, but this has served to remind me of the real risks involved in flashing a board and how complacent I had become in doing that each and every time a new beta BIOS was out, just like a release of a new version of a GPU driver.

Thankfully mine has been recovered but I'm sure that they don't all end this way.

I had just found my old BIOS chip that I bought from...

Motherboard-biosflash.co.uk | BiosflashUK.com | Flash BIOS Repair | Flash BIOS Replacement

...for my DFI board and hotflash from a few years back - happy times when they were socketed.!

Comment

1. I had the exact same problem with F1. I had a perfectly good F14 install and I flashed to F16a and it corrupted my BIOS. I had to go through the quick-reboot process with the PS switch to get it to trigger the backup BIOS. What a terrible release by Gigabyte.
              2. Is there a good O/C guide for the Z77 Gigabyte boards?

Comment

Hi guys i recently bought this motherboard and all was great until I flash the bios to F16a.
                The motherboard reboot and "no signal" appears..

VimesUK, can you precisely describe what did you do to save your board because I did exactly the same thing like you to kill it...

Best regards to you ( sorry for my english, i did my best lol )

Comment

Originally posted by cactusjack View Post
                  Hi guys i recently bought this motherboard and all was great until I flash the bios to F16a.
                  The motherboard reboot and "no signal" appears..

VimesUK, can you precisely describe what did you do to save your board because I did exactly the same thing like you to kill it...

Best regards to you ( sorry for my english, i did my best lol )
                  The F16a BIOS is a piece of sh*t and bricks (wrecks) the motherboards - It should be removed ASAP.

Comment

With the good help of the people I noted this is what should work for you and the disastrous F16a bios...

It is possible to make the BIOS Auto-Recovery kick in (Dual BIOS) and re-flash the MAIN BIOS with the contents of the BACKUP BIOS.

This is a simple and easy method for anyone to try before having to resort to other more difficult methods, or a RMA.

1. Shut off the power supply using the switch on the back of the PSU, wait 10-15 seconds.
                    2. Press and hold the case Power On swtich, then while still holding turn on the power supply from the switch on the rear.
                    3. Still holding the case power on switch, the board will start, once it does release the case power on switch and shut off the power supply via the switch on the read of the unit. (Do the latter two parts as quickly as you can once the board starts)
                    4. The board will shut down.
                    5. Turn the power supply back on using the switch on the rear of the unit.
                    6. Turn on the motherboard by pressing the case power on button.

Once the board starts this time you should see the Gigabyte splash screen, or POST page, then the Auto-Recovery from Dual BIOS will kick in. You will see a checksum error, and then recovery from BACKUP BIOS will begin. Once it is done reboot your machine and enter the BIOS and load optimized defaults then save/apply/reboot back to BIOS.

Now you are done, and will be using whatever BIOS was in your BACKUP BIOS, From there you can attempt whatever you were previously trying, or update your BIOS to the latest version.
                    ...the above worked well for me once I got the timing right with the power button and switch. It should work well for you.

See my photos which show the main bios being re written by the back up bios. When this is done you will have more than likely F8 on the main bios chip. Flash with what bios you wish but I would not use F16a again.

The best of luck.

Comment

Thanks a lot for your very fast response, I removed the battery of the MB first for all the night, and I will try your tutorial tomorrow, i don't want to return it to my seller so i will cross my fingers too..

Comment

Removing the battery does not do anything as the main bios is still corrupted by the F16a bad bios. It will still be corrupted until that bios is re written by the back up chip.

Use the method above and it will work out fine for you :)

Comment

Ok, you disconnected the GPU and SSD / HDD ? and let only 1 memory bar ?

Comment

I did indeed do all of those things and I even removed the board from my system ready to return it to the retailer.
                            I only did that because I did not follow the procedure correctly the first time that I tried and I had little faith in the board being able to recover. I assumed that it was dead and would need to be returned.

BUT I now know that I did not need to do that as the problem was repairable as I noted above. The method written should not need anything to be done apart from carefully following the procedure and it does not require you to remove anything from the board.

Comment

Originally posted by cactusjack View Post
                              Ok, you disconnected the GPU and SSD / HDD ? and let only 1 memory bar ?
                              Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
                              Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
                              Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
                              Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
                              1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
                              1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
                              Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
                              Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                              Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
                              Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
                              K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
                              L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
                              Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
                              Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
                              http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
                              Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Acebmxer View Post
                                Try this.

It is possible to make the BIOS Auto-Recovery kick in (Dual BIOS) and re-flash the MAIN BIOS with the contents of the BACKUP BIOS.

This is a simple and easy method for anyone to try before having to resort to other more difficult methods, or a RMA.

1. Shut off the power supply using the switch on the back of the PSU, wait 10-15 seconds.
                                2. Press and hold the case Power On swtich, then while still holding turn on the power supply from the switch on the rear.
                                3. Still holding the case power on switch, the board will start, once it does release the case power on switch and shut off the power supply via the switch on the read of the unit. (Do the latter two parts as quickly as you can once the board starts)
                                4. The board will shut down.
                                5. Turn the power supply back on using the switch on the rear of the unit.
                                6. Turn on the motherboard by pressing the case power on button.

Once the board starts this time you should see the Gigabyte splash screen, or POST page, then the Auto-Recovery from Dual BIOS will kick in. You will see a checksum error, and then recovery from BACKUP BIOS will begin. Once it is done reboot your machine and enter the BIOS and load optimized defaults then save/apply/reboot back to BIOS.

Now you are done, and will be using whatever BIOS was in your BACKUP BIOS, From there you can attempt whatever you were previously trying, or update your BIOS to the latest version.
                                Please follow these instructions to the "T" do not skip a step do not do a step incorrectly or it will not work.
                                Main Rig
                                Gigabyte z87x-OC
                                Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
                                G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
                                Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
                                Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
                                HiS ATI HD 6950
                                Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
                                Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
                                Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
                                Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
                                CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
                                Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
                                EK Supremacy Cpu Block
                                Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
                                Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Comment

Working...
                                X