Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte Z77 UD3H random freezes

Hi all,

I recently set up (3 weeks ago) a new system running on the z77 ud3h. I experience since the beginning random freezes of my usb ports which are followed shortly after by a complete freeze of the system. I have plugged in a logitech keyboard, razorblade mouse, a usb wifi adapter and a usb cable which enables me to use the usb ports on my display. All usb devices are plugged in on the back on the usb 3.0 ports. I also have 2 usb 2.0 front ports, but I would like to keep them free for usb sticks etc...

I also have to note that this almost exclusively happens when the computer is in idle mode, meaning not in heavy use or when a dlna server is set up to stream media on the tv. Can't remember this ever happening when gaming. Tried updating the mainboard drivers. Did not reinstall them from scratch though. Is this a common problem with this board?

It is quite an annoying issue as I can't leave my computer turned on to do some tasks while I am gone because almost surely it will have frozen.

I am using a be quiet! STRAIGHT POWER CM BQT E8-CM-580W. I did a memory check using memtest. Everything is fine on this end. My CPU and GPU temps are all in line.

Best
    Sketchup

Re: Gigabyte Z77 UD3H random freezes

Is your BIOS up to date? You can go to Gigabyte website to get the latest version BIOS. Have you OC'ed the system?

Comment

Originally posted by Sketchup View Post
      Hi all,

I recently set up (3 weeks ago) a new system running on the z77 ud3h. I experience since the beginning random freezes of my usb ports which are followed shortly after by a complete freeze of the system. I have plugged in a logitech keyboard, razorblade mouse, a usb wifi adapter and a usb cable which enables me to use the usb ports on my display. All usb devices are plugged in on the back on the usb 3.0 ports. I also have 2 usb 2.0 front ports, but I would like to keep them free for usb sticks etc...

I also have to note that this almost exclusively happens when the computer is in idle mode, meaning not in heavy use or when a dlna server is set up to stream media on the tv. Can't remember this ever happening when gaming. Tried updating the mainboard drivers. Did not reinstall them from scratch though. Is this a common problem with this board?

It is quite an annoying issue as I can't leave my computer turned on to do some tasks while I am gone because almost surely it will have frozen.

I am using a be quiet! STRAIGHT POWER CM BQT E8-CM-580W. I did a memory check using memtest. Everything is fine on this end. My CPU and GPU temps are all in line.

Best
      Sketchup
      We can better help you if you fill out a complete detailed list of your hardware and list in your profile or add it to your signature.

As for your problem, Make sure you are using the latest bios for your board. Which can be found here http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...beta-bios.html - F12h is the latest bios available. Which exact usb ports are you plugged into? You should be plugged into the 2 usb 3.0 ports that are directly below the ethernet port.

How do you know your problem is with your usb ports and not just a unstable system? Have you run any stability test on the system, such as Prime95 or LinX?

What exactly is happening when the system crashes can you describe better what you are doing or the system is doing when it crashes.

Also make sure you have the latest usb3.0 drivers installed. This motherboard has 2 usb 3.0 controllers, Intel and VIA. The 2 ports I suggested you to use are the Intel ports which are also required to use to have keyboard and mouse work in Bios/UEFI. The latest drivers can be found here http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ity-tools.html. Scroll down to post #2 to find the drivers.
      Main Rig
      Gigabyte z87x-OC
      Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
      G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
      Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
      Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
      HiS ATI HD 6950
      Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
      Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
      Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
      Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
      CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
      Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
      EK Supremacy Cpu Block
      Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
      Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Comment

Last edited by Sketchup; 07-09-2012, 03:11 AM.

Comment

TLDR Summary:

Fix 1. In the BIOS, select ENABLE vs. Smart AUTO or AUTO. This will enable you to at least use the VIA ports.
          Fix 2. Only use the Intel USB 3.0 ports (below the LAN port) and the USB 2.0 internal headers on the board. Stay away from all VIA ports. This is actually a workaround. Seems 100% stable this way with the caveat that you lose the use of 4 USB 3.0 ports on your board and 2 from the header on the inside.

I'm guessing you solved the issue? Hopefully you come back with a response but I have had the issue as well and it occurs whenever I plug anything into any of the VIA USB ports on the back.

You may be able to alleviate the issue by switching the USB port mode to Enable in the BIOS vs. Smart Auto or Auto. When I did this I stopped getting the freezes within 10m of Windows start up. Likewise and what seems to be a 100% stable fix is, it also doesn't seem to occur when I use the USB 2.0 ports, however it's like winning the lottery getting into the BIOS or being able to use the KB at all while booting when my G19 is on this board's USB 2.0 so I prefer to use the VIA port at the top (under the PS/2 hybrid port) on the back which seems to give power to my G19 very quickly after I press the power button.

Very much hoping for a fix from Gigabyte. This seems less like a Windows or driver issue and more like a pretty deep problem, like a BIOS issue, if not a real fault in the board itself. I myself am getting really fed up with the board...not sure if it's a bad batch of em or some of us are just really unlucky because otherwise the board gets some pretty good reviews and big recommendations from people. There are also quite a few of us experiencing these issues though.
          It's an awesome board for the value and what you get are features available on boards that are going for at least $25 more - but the caveats are not being able to utilize the VIA USB 3.0 with some harsh trial and error.

Comment

Working...
          X