• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Deadboard? 990FXA-UD3

Originally posted by skweegi View Post
    Hey! I got threadjacked!

J/K hope you get some help too.

It looks like I'm left trying to RMA and get it fixed.

Any ideas why this happens? Like I said earlier, I use an anti-static wrist leash and the computer is NOT in an environment with carpets. There is a surge suppressor between the wall and the computer.

Just random?

THanks
    Matt
    Sorry to hear! Can you test with another PSU, or test your PSU in another system, just in case it is somehow causing the issue?

How about a CPU reseat, did you try that already? And outside of the case and off the motherboard tray, have you tried that yet? If not, try that, along with different memory if you can, before you RMA.

Originally posted by Zeky View Post
    Well I've tried everything I can atm and nothing has worked. Different PSU, GPU, mobo. Took out all the ram and nothing works. Never beeps or anything. Might the CPU be dead?
    Ram must be installed or it's not going to work, just sayin. Sounds like it could be the CPU for sure since you see the same on two systems with the same CPU.

Have you inspected the CPU to be sure no pins are bent, broke, or missing?

Comment

Thank you for those suggestions.

I did try removing and reseating the RAM. No change.
      Then I tried the RAM one stick at a time by itself in the system. No change.

That pretty much rules out the RAM unless all 4 were simultaneously bad. (unlikely)

I have not tried changing PSU's, my unprofessional opinion is that is not the problem, because fans and CPU coolers that are powered through the motherboard are working correctly. So the motherboard is getting power.

I've checked and replugged cables leading into the motherboard.

I have not pulled the CPU and checked for pin damage. I am will do so just to be thorough, but its only been installed once and the system did work just fine, so it seems unlikely that a pin could be damaged after the CPU was installed ,working, and not moved. (But I will check).

I've also got another Phenom II AM3 cpu that I can try out in the motherboard just to thoroughly eliminate the CPU as the culprit.

I will also try removing the motherboard and testing it outside the case. Again, it could be possible that it's shorting on the case somehow, but it hasn't moved since it was installed and did work. I'm not sure how a short could have developed, but if the board's going to RMA or be replaced it needs to come out anyways so its a good time to test it outside of the case.

Again, thank you for the help. Tweaktown has a good community going on in here.
      Matt

Comment

Ya, not likely that all the memory went bad at once, unless there was an electrical surge or something like that.

Just because the PSU turns on, and turns the board on, does not necessarily mean it's working fully or can start the board, it still could be partially damaged. Although that's not very likely, it would be good if you could test another PSU on this board just to be sure, or test that PSU on another similar sized system, just to be sure it's fully functional.

You are right about the CPU too, it's not very likely since you never removed it. I'd test the PSU situation, then if no luck RMA the board.

Thanks for your kind words, they are most appreciated! We always try out best to help, when we can anyway, so glad you found us (!) - but sorry we don't seem to be of much help this time around

Comment

I have experienced it before with my old build (4 years old) when i revived it this thing happened. What i did is clean everything. remove dust on the sockets (everything use blower) clean all contact points. Install everything and plug the power switch the PSU but do not boot. Touch the metal casing or any exposed metal. Then boot.

It took me 4 weeks to troubleshoot. By the time it was all working i found out that my build was already old and i have to salvage parts and buy a new parts. (old PC was using ddr2 and PCIe1.1).

Hope this helps.

p.s. disassemble everything like your making a new pc. also check the jumper if you let the clip on.
          Last edited by KBEscalona; 04-06-2012, 10:34 PM. Reason: added some instructions
          Gigabyte GA-880GM-D2H Rev.4.0 @Bios F4
          AMD FX-4100 @ 4.29GHZ OC + Cooler Master Hyper 2121EVO
          Kingston Hyper X Blu 2x4GB DDR3 1600 @ 753MHZ
          Sapphire 7850 (860MHZ / 1200MHZ) OC @ 975MHZ / 1300MHZ OC
          Seagate 500GB + 1TB
          FSP Epsilon 600W
          Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

Comment

Well I'm about to go to microcenter to see if I can find some random AM3 chip. If not guess I'll get a 8120 and just OC the crap out of it

Comment

Working...
            X