• Show
Clear All

• Deadboard? 990FXA-UD3

Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    Phenom II X6 1100T (not overclocked)
    OCZ 700W modular PSU
    OCZ Agility 120gB SSD

Any ideas?

This is a fairly new build. I loaded up the SSD with windows 7 and it DID work for a short time.

Now suddenly, it turns on, but I've got dead screen.
    No boot screen
    No chance to go to BIOS
    No trouble codes during Post.
    No Post beep at ALL! (When it was working it did have the normal 1 beep Post code to signify all is well)
    Fans and cpu coolers plugged into the motherboard work, so I know the motherboard is getting power.

Weird thing (you can see this in the video). While the system turns on when the tower's on/off button is pushed, it will NOT turn off using that same on/off button. I have to turn off the power supply's on/off switch to shut down.

The monitor is pitch black, but if I unplug the VGA cable, the monitor then gives a message about no signal. So this means the monitor is working and that it thinks it's getting a signal (I think this rules out a bad video card, plus the lack of a Post beep points in a whole different direction).

I have and use religiously, one of the anti-static wrist leashes attached to a metal desk. Plus this is in a room with wooden floors rather than carpet, so I know the system should not have gotten any electrostatic shocks.

Is this a dead mother board?
    What do I do about this?

**Update**
    I should have mentioned I've tried a 2nd video card with no change and I cleared the CMOS by jumping the pins with the power unplugged per the owner's manual instructions

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TwIk4fytEcc" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>
    Last edited by skweegi; 04-01-2012, 07:52 PM.

Re: Deadboard? 990FXA-UD3

Do you have an older video card to test with, or one you can grab from another machine? What you mentioned doesn't rule out a bad card, so just saying you should test this if possible.

Have you tried clearing the CMOS yet? If not, do that now, and if it doesn't work try an extended clear (Unplug PSU, drain power via on/Off switch for one minute, remove CMOS battery, short CMOS pin and leave shorted, let sit for 8+ hours)

Comment

Thank you.

I should have mentioned, I've tried a 2nd video card and I cleared the CMOS by jumping the pins per the owner's manual instructions.

Comment

Try the longer methid as described, you can try just 20-30 minutes and then lomger if that's not enough.
        Check all power connections, and disconnect all peripherals ans USB devices except keyboard and video card, also try with just one memory modiles installed.

Comment

I'll remove the power. Cross the CMOS jumper and let it sit overnight.Should I remove the battery as well?Thank You

Comment

Yes, please do! Good luck, hope that fixes it!

Comment

I removed the motherboard battery.
              Crossed the CMOS jumpers.

Let it sit overnight 8+ hours

This morning I unplugged the only USB device (mouse) and unplugged all internal Sata devices (2 CD/DVD drives and SSD).

Powered up and took this video.
              No change in behaviors.
              Now what??
              <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1MWFVIbDTao" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Comment

Could be time for an RMA.
                Have you checked the power connections?
                Maybe a bench test before you call for RMA.

Comment

Sorry to steal the topic but I am having the same issue that you have. Over the last 8-9 months my PC has been working fine and when I woke up yesterday morning I had no post. Running a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 with a 955 BE at 4ghz and a 560ti. 2 HDDs and 1 SSD. I've unplugged all HDDs/SSDs. Tried with 1 ram stick. Tried different GPUs and nothing works. Do I also have to RMA?

Comment

Originally posted by Zeky View Post
                    Sorry to steal the topic but I am having the same issue that you have. Over the last 8-9 months my PC has been working fine and when I woke up yesterday morning I had no post. Running a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 with a 955 BE at 4ghz and a 560ti. 2 HDDs and 1 SSD. I've unplugged all HDDs/SSDs. Tried with 1 ram stick. Tried different GPUs and nothing works. Do I also have to RMA?
                    Have you tried the everything that was instructed to the OP to try?
                    Main Rig
                    Gigabyte z87x-OC
                    Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
                    G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
                    Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
                    Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
                    HiS ATI HD 6950
                    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
                    Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
                    Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
                    Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
                    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
                    Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
                    EK Supremacy Cpu Block
                    Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
                    Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Comment

Originally posted by Acebmxer View Post
                      Have you tried the everything that was instructed to the OP to try?
                      Have. Just found some old mobo I had laying around. Guess I'll try my setup on this to see if it works.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0121.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	752056

Comment

Hey! I got threadjacked!

J/K hope you get some help too.

It looks like I'm left trying to RMA and get it fixed.

Any ideas why this happens? Like I said earlier, I use an anti-static wrist leash and the computer is NOT in an environment with carpets. There is a surge suppressor between the wall and the computer.

Just random?

THanks
                        Matt

Comment

Yup electronics tent to fail from time to time that why you get warrenty.

Comment

So now that I switched mobos it still doesn't post. Might the PSU be dead?

Comment

Well I've tried everything I can atm and nothing has worked. Different PSU, GPU, mobo. Took out all the ram and nothing works. Never beeps or anything. Might the CPU be dead?

Comment

Working...
                              X