Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can we get an official response from Gigabyte regarding cold boot loop problem hitting the P67 / Z68 boards??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can we get an official response from Gigabyte regarding cold boot loop problem hitting the P67 / Z68 boards??

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Well that's an odd way to test, how I mention using it now I mean. But since this is an odd issue, I'd go ahead and test any and all ways you can think of. I'd also test the cards for stability (With only one card installed and connect to the card) using afterburner or Furmark just to see if one of them act different than the other, or one gets much hotter than the other, ect

And don't forget the single stick cold boot memory testing, as one iffy stick can cause any number of random issues on a cold boot, so I'd actually get started on that each morning with all other testing aside or in the afternoon/warm booting.
    I'll start the memory testing tonight. Do you suggest one graphics card, both, or none? Would you suggest using the x16 slot or x8 slot when I leave the graphics card in the system for the night?

I've tested each graphics card with Furmark extensively when I was pushing the overclocking. Normally I don't run them overclocked at all and their temperatures are perfectly fine, not that I can see how it would make a difference at POST. I kind of suspect right now that the BIOS POST gets a bit unstable when the x8 slot is occupied. Back in the day before I had my 2nd crossfire card I used to run my only card in the x8 slot for better cooling.

I wonder if the gigabyte BIOS creators haven't been able to replicate this problem because they use the built-in graphics when they do their testing. Maybe the instability requires a high-end external card to be present in addition to other factors, such as an excess of RAM. I do think that the gigabyte BIOS defaults to a QPI/PTT voltage that is too low by default, 1.05v.

If it turns out that the board is unstable with the x8 slot occupied I'll probably just sell my cards and get the GTX 680.
    Last edited by allenwr1505; 03-23-2012, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Re: Can we get an official response from Gigabyte regarding cold boot loop problem hitting the P67 / Z68 boards??

I'd stick with one card for now, where ever it seems to not give you issues.

QPI/Vtt, that all depends on what memory you have installed, I'd say if it's not budget 1066-1333Mhz then yes, you probably need to increase QPI

Comment

I'd stick with one card for now, where ever it seems to not give you issues.

QPI/Vtt, that all depends on what memory you have installed, I'd say if it's not budget 1066-1333Mhz then yes, you probably need to increase QPI
        It's been about two days now and when I'm using my Sapphire 6950 unlocked I've never had a problem, even cold booting and using 16GB of RAM, but when I've used my MSI 6950 unlocked I've had several problems. This seems to be graphics card related, which is exceptionally odd.

Comment

Great to hear you've narrowed it down some now!

So maybe the MSI card is somehow damaged, or their is a BIOS incompatibility. If it's a BIOS issue they'll need to know the exact card model so they can try to replicate and then correct.

Do you know anyone close to you that has the same card? That way you could verify if it's your particular card that's causing this, or the model as a whole.

Comment

Great to hear you've narrowed it down some now!

So maybe the MSI card is somehow damaged, or their is a BIOS incompatibility. If it's a BIOS issue they'll need to know the exact card model so they can try to replicate and then correct.

Do you know anyone close to you that has the same card? That way you could verify if it's your particular card that's causing this, or the model as a whole.
            I really doubt the MSI card is damaged as it runs perfectly fine in Windows, can game, can overclock, everything. It's not like the graphics card should even be involved in the POST process. Anyways, I've been running with just my Sapphire 6950 for the last few days and everything has been completely stable. The F7 BIOS must have done something because on my old board, even with my Sapphire 6950 I still had boot loops. When the F7 BIOS came out I was already Crossfired so I never tried F7 with just my Sapphire 6950 until now.

Unfortunately, I know no one with a card that I can try.

I will sell both of my graphics cards and move on to a 7970 or Nvidia 680 since I suspect this board just has crossfire issues and I would like a single card solution that can handle eyefinity.

Comment

It's probably not as you mentioned, maybe a BIOS incompatibility? You can send in a report and ask them to try to test with the same exact card and see if they can fix it in the BIOS.

Single card upgrade sounds like a good move if you already have the spare $$!

Comment

Hi all,

First off here are my hardware specs:

- I7 2600k on a Z68-UD7 (CPU water)
                - gainward gtx 570 phantom (water)
                -2 x 4gb corsair vengeance 1866 @ 9-10-9-27-1T
                - 120gb vertex 3
                - 1 tb Samsung spin point F3
                - corsair Ax 850 psu
                - creative titanium hd sound card

CPU temp after 1 day of folding = 60c
                Gpu temp = 43c

I have this annoying boot issue when overclocked.

When my CPU is @ 4.8ghz (2600k) it's fully stable for 48hours On prime 95 and can fold for days on end.

Settings are 1.375 with LLC7 so on load I get 1.392vcore.

It's all good when the rig is on. But when i switch the rig on (btw its still plugged in and has power running through it, the Rig is just switched off) it would get stuck on C1 (led poster) and flicker a few times then reboot, it does this a few times the. Eventually loads up with the OC settings still in place.

The CPU is watercooled and on boot up it would sit at ~29c idle and 60c on load (after a few hours of stress).

I have the F10 bios btw and on the backed up bios

I have replaced all my previous corsair dominators===stil no fix

Can anybody help me on this?

It happens EVERY time I boot up and the OC never fails...

Thanks

Firat
                Last edited by Firat; 04-08-2012, 07:29 AM.

Comment

It's best to put your hardware list in your forum signature where we can quickly see exactly what we're dealing with.
                  Keep in mind that most of the active members responding to your post are also assisting in many other threads where the OP has a somewhat similar hardware setup. This will help prevent possible mistakes.
                  Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
                  P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
                  4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
                  MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
                  Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
                  WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
                  Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
                  SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
                  Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
                  Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
                  Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
                  MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
                  Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                  win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
                  HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
                  CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
                  E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
                  Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
                  Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
                  HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                  win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Okie dokie, I'll get that done in a minute :)

Comment

Signature done, so did the OP problem get fixed?
                      Last edited by Firat; 04-08-2012, 07:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Firat View Post
                        I got the problem fixed. It turned out that my board really just disliked my MSI 6950. The MSI worked on other boards but with the Gigabyte it boot looped at POST. I sold my 6950's and bought a 7970 and I've had no problems since.

Comment

I have a gtx570, so your saying that could be the problem, hmmm but why isn't there another solution except changing out my Gpu, I can't afford to do this :/

Comment

Originally posted by Firat View Post
                            Nope. I struggled for a long time with the issue and by now, I've entirely given up on trying to resolve it. I've tried numerous bios updates, different video cards, memory modules, CPU, etc. I have the boot cycle minimized now with one of the newer BIOS updates, but it will still do it 1 out of like 5 cold startups - which is light years better. But honestly... it shouldn't be doing it at all.

Unfortunately, I'm still getting random freezing in firefox that eventually locks the PC up on occasion. I built the PC for gaming and providing i'm in a game with firefox closed, it seldom locks up. I buy lots of parts, and I will NEVER buy another Gigabyte product in my life. I have been so entirely unimpressed with the lackluster support and non-reply to my emails to support, that I can't believe the company conducts itself in this manner.

I've had build issues with sketchy hardware in the past, and being in this industry, myself, I come to expect problems now and then with such rapidly changing technology - it comes with the territory when you have such little time for real testing. I'm willing to accept problems - but I also expect a product that works 100% when I pay for it - and if it doesn't apologize and give me a like / better model than what I had that WORKS.

So like I said, I still have the issues, its been months, and I'm not buying another Gigabyte product. If someone from Gigabyte customer service would like to contact me, I'd be more than happy to have a conversation.

Comment

spurst what qpi/vtt and dram voltages are you using atm? sorry if im treading old ground,random lock ups and cold boots are usually down to those voltages
                              Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
                              Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
                              Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
                              Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
                              1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
                              1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
                              Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
                              Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                              Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
                              Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
                              K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
                              L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
                              Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
                              Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
                              http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
                              Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by wazza300 View Post
                                spurst what qpi/vtt and dram voltages are you using atm? sorry if im treading old ground,random lock ups and cold boots are usually down to those voltages
                                Wazza300,

not to beat a dead horse, but i've long since given up on trying to resolve the issue. I've tried messing with nearly every setting on the board, multiple modules of ram, different CPU's video cards, etc. I've tried everything different, except for this board. I've gotten it about as stable as I'm able to. For anything else I need to have absolute reliability on, I have an i7 laptop I use or one of my other desktops.

if it helps anyone else, I'm at:
                                QPI = 1.205
                                DRAM = 1.640

but I'm clocked at 4600.

Comment

Working...
                                X