Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can we get an official response from Gigabyte regarding cold boot loop problem hitting the P67 / Z68 boards??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can we get an official response from Gigabyte regarding cold boot loop problem hitting the P67 / Z68 boards??

This issue is pretty wide-spread, and I've had little luck trying to get support on it at the Gigabyte UK forums, and they told me tweaktown has the "official" US support forum.

For some background and other users:
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1034724/gigabyte-p67-z68-boot-cycling-problem/590

That thread is going on 62 pages long now. I have this problem, as do numerous other users. Support is aware of the issue as other users have gotten through, but we're not getting updates, or solid fixes. Can we at last know what the internal status on resolution for said problem is?

The thread at Gigabyte UK:
    Can we get an official response from Gigabyte regarding Z68 cold boot?
    I've linked to all three threads in case we solve the issue.

The Problem/Symptoms:
    I've noticed for the past 6 Gigabyte boards I've used in client builds there is a boot cycling problem one way or another. After shutdown and waiting for approx. 10 seconds booting up again results in boot cycling and results in the board reverting to using the backup BIOS which still boot cycles. Even after copying the new BIOS to the backup BIOS boot cycling still continues. I end up flipping the PSU switch and unplugging the power cable and waiting for a few seconds before the board would boot past POST screen.

Has anyone else encounter this with their new Gigabyte P67/Z68 boards?

I've had 3 builds with other makers, 2x MSI and 1x Asus and those board did not exhibit this problem, both boards are P67 boards.

Facts about Boot Loop:

1) On a cold boot your motherboard will POST up to the "Memory Testing" (which is like the first 3 lines on your POST screen) line and then restarts on it's own. It will continue to do this for a infinite number of times, theoretically. If someone actually wants to sit in front of their computer and start a count on how many times it restarts, be my guest.

2) Restarting will not work, as it continues to boot loop. You'll have to hold down the power button for 5 secs (or whatever amount of time) until your PC manually shuts down. Turning it back on immediately after a shutdown continues the boot loop, you must wait at least 20-30 seconds.

3) In order to get the board to boot properly you'll first have to turn off your power supply (the switch on your PSU if you have one) and pull the power cord. Wait approx. 30 seconds, reinsert the power cord, flip the switch and press the power button. This should get your system to boot normally on 80% occasions according to my experience. Some members have stated that the CMOS must be reset, 24-pin mobo plug needs to be unplugged and CMOS battery has to be removed. You are free to try those methods if the pulling of the power cord method does not work.

There have also been reports of disabling certain options in your BIOS that will remedy the boot loop. First off, those people were not experiencing a boot loop, just a hiccup on a old chipset.

This boot loop problem unique to P67/Z68 chipset and so far most relevant on Gigabyte boards.

At the time of this writing all Gigabyte Z68XP version motherboards only have 1 BIOS update to choose from, which isn't really a update at all.

4) No matter what you do, flashing the backup BIOS with the latest BIOS does not solve the issue. Sadly on some of the newer Z68 boards, THERE'S ONLY 1 BIOS!
    Edited by AzO - 7/24/11 at 10:52pm
    If you have this problem, please post your system specs, so maybe we can try and figure out some type of resolution.

My specs:
    Z68X-UD3H-B3
    i5 2500k
    Cooler Master Hyper 212
    2x 4gb Corsair XMS DDR3 (also tried crucial ballistix)
    SATA RAID 0 2x WD raptor 36g
    SATA RAID 0 2x Seagate 7200.12 500g
    Galaxy GTX 460 SLI 768
    Lite-ON DVDRW
    Sony Blu Ray
    PCP&C 760Watt PSU

What I have personally tried -
    • Every other BIOS listed for this board - nothing fixes it.
    • 2 other known working 700+ Watt power supplies
    • i3 2100
    • different PCI-E video card
    • Known working RAM (verified via memtest)
    • Different brands / different # sticks of known working RAM
    • No RAID / different HD
    • Different DVD-Rom

I've found that manually setting my memory voltage to 1.65v and QPI/VTT to 1.2v seems to cut down on the boot loop. Doesn't entirely fix it, but does cut down the occurrence.
    Last edited by Spurst; 01-13-2012, 01:48 PM.

Re: Can we get an official response from Gigabyte regarding cold boot loop problem hitting the P67 / Z68 boards??

I did not read every page all the way through but did anyone of you guys try to make sure the back up bios was update to match the main bios. This has fix other issues in the past. Also P67/z68 really do not like 1.2+ qpi/vtt.

I also do not have this board but have had 1 EP45-ud3p, 1 EX58-UD5, 1X58A-UD5 rev2, 1 X58A-OC and the only board that had boot loop issues was the P45. The solution for that was use the power switch on the back up of the power supply to shut the system off pull the power cord for 10-20 sec then reconnect.
    Main Rig
    Gigabyte z87x-OC
    Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
    G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
    Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
    Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
    HiS ATI HD 6950
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
    Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
    Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
    Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
    Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
    EK Supremacy Cpu Block
    Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
    Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Comment

Re: Can we get an official response from Gigabyte regarding cold boot loop problem hitting the P67 / Z68 boards??

ive been following this on a number of forums,i dont know why they are slow in responding or fixing but i think they are still testing with beta bios's

to flash your back up bios with the main bios press and hold alt and f12 at the gigabyte splash screen and see if it improves things
      Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
      Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
      Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
      Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
      1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
      1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
      Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
      Razer Lycosa Keyboard
      Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
      Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
      K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
      L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
      Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
      Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
      http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
      Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I'll try flashing the backup bios - not sure how much that will help.

Acebmxer, I've also tried the QPI/VTT at auto as well. Its a constant problem - raising the QPI/VTT simply makes it feel like it happens less frequently. There's no science behind it, just observed, and it could be unrelated.

I've had to build a 2nd system, because of the reliability of this system. I'm beyond annoyed, and I wish I could return this board. One of my main issues is that Gigabyte has been so quiet on the issue - so I have no idea where they are as far as resolution goes. 60 pages worth of posts is quite a bit... I'd hope they are on top of the problem, because it doesn't seem to be isolated.

Comment

Haven't read through all of it yet,.
          And I'm just a wee member of these forums,.
          But isn't that related to the p67 chipset,?? I returned my Asus P67 deluxe for that same issue,. boot looping.
          Replaced with Gigabyte Z68XP UD4 (Bios F5) and not a single issue.
          GAEP45 UD3P rev1.1
          Intel E8400 @4.2Ghz
          Corsair Cl4 DDr2 800
          Ati 4890
          Bequite 670watt
          Westerndigital Black 500gb

Comment

Originally posted by Deafty View Post
            Haven't read through all of it yet,.
            And I'm just a wee member of these forums,.
            But isn't that related to the p67 chipset,?? I returned my Asus P67 deluxe for that same issue,. boot looping.
            Replaced with Gigabyte Z68XP UD4 (Bios F5) and not a single issue.
            This is not an accurate statement, as I currently own the Z68 board, as stated in the original post. Not trying to be a jerk, but it was stated in the first post.

My Specs:
            Z68X-UD3H-B3
            i5 2500k
            Cooler Master Hyper 212
            2x 4gb Corsair XMS DDR3 (also tried crucial ballistix)
            SATA RAID 0 2x WD raptor 36g
            SATA RAID 0 2x Seagate 7200.12 500g
            Galaxy GTX 460 SLI 768
            Lite-ON DVDRW
            Sony Blu Ray
            PCP&C 760Watt PSU
            Last edited by Spurst; 01-13-2012, 01:50 PM.

Comment

@Spurst
              Is your system overclocked?
              Does your system have boot loops after a warm reboot (i.e. windows Restart)?
              Have you run extended stability tests, such as Prime95 Blend, Small FFT and Large FFT for at least 6 - 12 hours for each test?

Defty's setup is new and he hasn't started overclocking yet.
              Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
              P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
              4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
              MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
              Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
              WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
              Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
              SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
              Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
              Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
              Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
              MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
              Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
              win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
              HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
              CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
              E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
              Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
              Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
              HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
              win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

This is not an accurate statement, as I currently own the Z68 board, as stated in the original post. Not trying to be a jerk, but it was stated in the first post.
                No offense taken,.just thought it was worth mentioning,.and sorry for not stating I am on stock settings (for now).
                GAEP45 UD3P rev1.1
                Intel E8400 @4.2Ghz
                Corsair Cl4 DDr2 800
                Ati 4890
                Bequite 670watt
                Westerndigital Black 500gb

Comment

Originally posted by profJim View Post
                  @Spurst
                  Is your system overclocked?
                  Does your system have boot loops after a warm reboot (i.e. windows Restart)?
                  Have you run extended stability tests, such as Prime95 Blend, Small FFT and Large FFT for at least 6 - 12 hours for each test?

Defty's setup is new and he hasn't started overclocking yet.
                  My system is also new. I have tried it overclocked, stock, etc. Doesnt matter. Ive tested my memory modules, ive used known working modules. Ive tested the cpu in another board. Its 100% prime stable @ 4.5ghz which is what i tend to leave it at.

Comment

you still could be unlucky with your ram,ive seen another user have exact same issues and switched to corsair ram and problem solved,but theres no guarantee it will work for you,also seen another user switch to two types of ram crucial and kingston and still same problem,could be down to bios still,you could either wait for bios's to mature which is usually the case or switch to another mb brand,i dont know what else to suggest atm
                    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
                    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
                    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

Comment

Cold double booting or posting isnt confined to Gigabyte /asus on p67 z68 (very similar ) asrock has it too.

Its been alleviated to a large extent by a newer bios there but some people still get it.

As Waz was saying it could be component situational.Its not ideal whatever way you look at it.

For me the only way to remove it totally is to reset cmos load and save the default settings and leave them that way,ie no overclocking at all,which isnt really practical for me.
                      The problem was present in both my b2 and b3 boards.

For me it doesnt wipe settings or anything,its just if the settings are changed from default it will double boot.
                      Try the bioses again maybe ,some with pll overide some not /or perhaps those with max cpu vlts extended above 1.52?

I believe for asrock p67 extreme 6 the latest bios is much better, I havent gotten around to trying it,still on release 1.50.
                      Last edited by kick; 01-14-2012, 05:07 AM.
                      Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
                      Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
                      Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
                      8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
                      60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
                      GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
                      Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
                      http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

Originally posted by wazza300 View Post
                        you still could be unlucky with your ram,ive seen another user have exact same issues and switched to corsair ram and problem solved,but theres no guarantee it will work for you,also seen another user switch to two types of ram crucial and kingston and still same problem,could be down to bios still,you could either wait for bios's to mature which is usually the case or switch to another mb brand,i dont know what else to suggest atm
                        As per the original Post:

My Ram is Corsair CMX8GX3M2A1333C9 - 2 4gb modules, matched pair.
                        I've also tried, Kingston, ADATA, and Crucial modules. These other modules are all verified known, good, working modules via Metest.

My board: Z68X-UD3H-B3
                        Chipset rev 09
                        Southbridge rev B3

Latest Bios - I've also tried pretty much every other BIOS for the board.

460GTX SLI (also happens with integrated, or single PCIE GPU)
                        760Watt PCP&Cooling PSU (I've also tried 2 other 600+ Watt PSU's (same problem))

2 WD Raptors in Raid Array
                        2 500GB WD Blacks in Raid Array

CPU - I5 2500k. I've also tried my i3 2100 same problems...
                        also tried with a single intel SSD - same problems.

Guess what is always the constant - this gigabyte motherboard.
                        Hope that helps.

Comment

you still might need to wait for bios's to mature and fix it,they are always slow in fixing things with drivers and bios's,was the same for my x58 ud5 with sleep resume,but it did get fixed with a bios update,and no doubt its the board/bios but not every gigabyte p67/z68 is suffering with it
                          Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                          Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

Good news
                            for me anyway the latest Asrock non beta bios 1.80(sep 2011) cures my double boot problem ,even with my usual overclock settings.I just never got round to it before.

My 1155 system isnt too dissimilar to yours.Sli/non sli 460gtx the problem was there.The psu is like 1 month old ,the prob was there before and up until today.

I dont have a Gigabyte 1155 system as in sig ,mainly cos I wanted the extra sata ports while waiting for my b3 swop and also cos gigabyte were a bit slow going for the newer uefi.
                            Now they have both I think so np there.

One thing with updating bios ,on older gigabyte(775) boards at least .Allways reset to optimised defaults and save and boot before bios flashing.
                            Allways flash using the non os utility , flash thru bios updater.
                            I mention this cos a couple of flashes didnt take properly on my ep 45 and I had to redo them.
                            Whether this was due to the dual/backup bios needing all vatriables reset to standard before flashing or what I dont know.

Anyway in my case a revised bios has cured the problem ,altho its not listed as "double boot fix" ,just revised cpu code and revised raid rom.
                            One other thing Stasio has allways looked after the gigabyte bioses expecially beta ones : making sure they get posted on p67/z68 sites etc,might be worth sending a pm to see which bios will cure the problem,if its out yet.
                            Last edited by kick; 01-14-2012, 02:44 PM.
                            Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
                            Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
                            Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
                            8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
                            60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
                            GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
                            Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
                            http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

Originally posted by kick View Post
                              Good news
                              for me anyway the latest Asrock non beta bios 1.80(sep 2011) cures my double boot problem ,even with my usual overclock settings.I just never got round to it before.

My 1155 system isnt too dissimilar to yours.Sli/non sli 460gtx the problem was there.The psu is like 1 month old ,the prob was there before and up until today.

I dont have a Gigabyte 1155 system as in sig ,mainly cos I wanted the extra sata ports while waiting for my b3 swop and also cos gigabyte were a bit slow going for the newer uefi.
                              Now they have both I think so np there.

One thing with updating bios ,on older gigabyte(775) boards at least .Allways reset to optimised defaults and save and boot before bios flashing.
                              Allways flash using the non os utility , flash thru bios updater.
                              I mention this cos a couple of flashes didnt take properly on my ep 45 and I had to redo them.
                              Whether this was due to the dual/backup bios needing all vatriables reset to standard before flashing or what I dont know.

Anyway in my case a revised bios has cured the problem ,altho its not listed as "double boot fix" ,just revised cpu code and revised raid rom.
                              One other thing Stasio has allways looked after the gigabyte bioses expecially beta ones : making sure they get posted on p67/z68 sites etc,might be worth sending a pm to see which bios will cure the problem,if its out yet.
                              I'm glad yours is working. Unfortunately, I am not that patient with the manufacturer. My personal machine is down, and I have a client with a PC I assembled using the same setup as mine, with all of my problems. As a system builder, I can't have my clients having non-working or problematic machines. I can't just tell a customer, "hey its no big deal - just unplug it for a while" or "don't worry, it'll be fixed in a future bios update". My expectation is that the product works out of the box, with every processor they've advertised it'll work with - NO EXCEPTIONS.

If they don't work, I'd like Gigabyte to either recall the product, provide me with another board of equal or higher specification that WILL work, or refund my $ on any and all boards found to be problematic and not working as advertised.

Comment

Working...
                              X