Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GA-Z68XP-UD4 (rev1.0) Install, Bios and Test procedures with Questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GA-Z68XP-UD4 (rev1.0) Install, Bios and Test procedures with Questions.

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    For 4.2Ghz you should manually adjust all of those, I suggest using direct Vcore not DVID and LLC level 1 (If only two), or level 5-7, but again these are all up to you to decide what you like and what your board/CPU likes. They are all different, so we can't give you an exact setting that is going to automatically work right away, you'll have to tinker around and tweak things until you get stability.
    I'll do the way u suggested. But If I set vcore manually, can I rely to the CPU Z regarding vcore readings ? Intel Turbo Boost and CPU EIST function, set to auto or enabled ? And what further BIOS tweaking would u generally advise, please ?
    Last edited by orangec; 02-16-2012, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Yes, CPU-z is going to show you the same voltages no matter how you set it. There is always Vdrop (Difference between BIOS set voltage, and windows idle) and Vdroop (Difference between idle voltage and load)

Disable turbo, EIST, and C1E. If you want to try speedstep you can enable it later, but that's going to require more tweaking too most likely.

There is overclocking and tweaking guides by Miahallen here that will help you, you want the Sandy Bridge one

Comment

Disable turbo, EIST, and C1E. If you want to try speedstep you can enable it later, but that's going to require more tweaking too most likely.
        Can u please, explain since being an expert , why is diabling Turbo Boost and CPU EIST usefull ? And what additional tweaking do you have in mind ?
        Last edited by orangec; 02-16-2012, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Hello,. looks like someone hijacked my thread

no worries,. just joking

Well the reset issue is not likely to be your only issue, so updating to the very latest beta is suggested because it fixes many issues,
          @ Orangec: You may be concerned with flashing your bios (my first was scary!) But don't let that bother you. If you follow directions carefully it is very easy indeed. You may want to PM "ProfJim" who help me through my first bios flash. Be aware: DO NOT USE @ BIOS (unless there is no choice but I know for a fact on this board @BIOS is definetely not needed)

I need to mention that I had some issues (to detailed to explain) with my SATA 3 controllers. You may not yet be aware of tany issues yourself but it is highly likely there are! Updating to latest bios is highly reccomended by myself who has the identical board and CPU (I5 2500k ).

If you overclock before bios update you may run into more issues that will be harder to get help with. This is due to the fact that bios updates are taken rather mandatory in these forums.

Also: Before Overclocking please run standard tests on all your hardware. Early on in this (my) thread I stated what tests I was and did run and posted my results afterwards.

The purpose here is to ensure all hardware is performing correctly

These include:

Mtestx86: 2 full loops and 10 passes on test # 5
          IBT (IntelBurnTest): Using all available memory and set to 4 threads (u have a 4 core CPU)
          Prime 95: Blend test (8-12 Hrs) + Small FFT test + Large FFT test both for 8-12Hrs.

Once you begin overclocking these programmes (tests) will become second nature to you.

Again I highly reccomend sending a PM to "Prof Jim" who is very helpful indeed. "Chike" is also very wised up on fine tuning your OC.

Have Fun and don't worry all will become easier over time.

Deafty.
          Last edited by Deafty; 02-17-2012, 07:05 AM.
          GAEP45 UD3P rev1.1
          Intel E8400 @4.2Ghz
          Corsair Cl4 DDr2 800
          Ati 4890
          Bequite 670watt
          Westerndigital Black 500gb

Comment

Originally posted by orangec View Post
            Can u please, explain since being an expert , why is diabling Turbo Boost and CPU EIST usefull ? And what additional tweaking do you have in mind ?
            Disabling those makes overclocking much easier, since the voltages and multipliers do not jump up and down. If you want to leave them enabled you can, but it will just make it a little harder for you to find the sweet spot when overclocking.

Additional tweaking just means fine tuning your voltages so you can find stability, you'll get many tips in the guide I linked, it walks you through overclocking very easy and explains as you go.

Comment

I know this thread has been inactive for a few weeks now, but I wanted to confirm that Q-Flash does work with the latest official BIOS release (F6). So no need to use @BIOS if that makes you uncomfortable. Additionally, if anyone is still interested in DVID and overclocking just say the word. I've had a couple weeks to play with the board now and have some interesting findings. My home forum is OCC, but I found this thread when doing a google search on another topic related to the same board.
              Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4
              Intel i7 2700K @ 4.5Ghz
              G.Skill DDR3 16Gb @ 1866Mhz
              eVGA GTX 570 SC x2 SLi
              Crucial C300 x2 RAID0
              WD 640Gb Black x2 RAID0
              Corsair HX1000
              H20 Swiftech/XSPC

Comment

if anyone is still interested in DVID and overclocking just say the word
                Great to know,.and thanks.
                I hope to overclock soon but I still need to address my heat issue. GPU on this moverboard is located directly under my CPU heatsink. I need a new CPU cooler that will address air flow horizontally.

Though I changed my GPU during this build here you see the problem with a MSI Gtx 570 installed.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	CM790Adv.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	752032

I currently have CPU fan on top instead of what is shown and there is an addition 140mm on top of the case. (both are pulling air up which is not ideal).
                GAEP45 UD3P rev1.1
                Intel E8400 @4.2Ghz
                Corsair Cl4 DDr2 800
                Ati 4890
                Bequite 670watt

Comment

Connect the fan on the side blowing towards the rear, if you have to make your own clips use zip ties to connect the fan, or paper clips, it should be pretty easy to do.

Comment

Connect the fan on the side blowing towards the rear, if you have to make your own clips use zip ties to connect the fan, or paper clips, it should be pretty easy to do.
                    Ditto..... And if the OP did that looks like he has room to do a push/pull fan configuration and improve cpu cooling even more.

Lsdmeasap - just wanted you to know that I've spent the last three weeks reading everything I could about the Gigabyte P67 and Z68 boards and have found your posts everywhere :)

And that they have been very very helpful. Thank you so much!

Originally posted by Deafty View Post
                    Hello,. looks like someone hijacked my thread
                    no worries,. just joking
                    Deafty.
                    I'm guilty now too :)

Sorry about that, was just excited to find a fairly active thread on the GA-Z68XP-UD4 board.
                    Last edited by wevsspot63; 03-20-2012, 08:54 AM.
                    Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4
                    Intel i7 2700K @ 4.5Ghz
                    eVGA GTX 570 SC x2 SLi
                    Crucial C300 x2 RAID0
                    WD 640Gb Black x2 RAID0
                    Corsair HX1000
                    H20 Swiftech/XSPC

Comment

deafty wont you run into ram clearance problems if you turn heatsink horizontal?
                      Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
                      Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
                      Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
                      Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
                      1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
                      1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
                      Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
                      Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                      Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
                      Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
                      K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
                      L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
                      Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
                      Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
                      http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
                      Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by wazza300 View Post
                        deafty wont you run into ram clearance problems if you turn heatsink horizontal?
                        Hey Wazza, I don't think the intention was to change the orientation of the actual heatsink, just move fan(s) to the side instead of at the bottom. Unlike the OP will be able to find fan clips for that and probably why Lsdmeasap recommended the zip tie solution.

Another option might be to find some of those little rubber push pin things (like the ones used with some fan installation kits) and push those directly into the fins. Might work if he doesn't like looking at the zip ties.
                        Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4
                        Intel i7 2700K @ 4.5Ghz
                        eVGA GTX 570 SC x2 SLi
                        Crucial C300 x2 RAID0
                        WD 640Gb Black x2 RAID0
                        Corsair HX1000
                        H20 Swiftech/XSPC

Comment

Originally posted by wevsspot63 View Post
                          Lsdmeasap - just wanted you to know that I've spent the last three weeks reading everything I could about the Gigabyte P67 and Z68 boards and have found your posts everywhere :)

And that they have been very very helpful. Thank you so much!
                          Thank you Sir, I'm glad I could help you along your journey!! Your kind words are feedback are most appreciated!

Originally posted by wevsspot63 View Post
                          Hey Wazza, I don't think the intention was to change the orientation of the actual heatsink, just move fan(s) to the side instead of at the bottom. Unlike the OP will be able to find fan clips for that and probably why Lsdmeasap recommended the zip tie solution.

Another option might be to find some of those little rubber push pin things (like the ones used with some fan installation kits) and push those directly into the fins. Might work if he doesn't like looking at the zip ties.
                          Ya, I just meant to move the fan over the memory in push mode, or behind the heatsink in pull mode, leaving the heatsink as-is. He could use Zip-ties like screws as well, if he has any thin enough but long still, insert them into the fan screw hole, with the square locking end snug up against the outside of the screw hole, then having the long tie part go through to the other side of the heatsink and lock onto a second fan or another tie end (Cut off so it's just the lock end part). I probably didn't explain that well, it's hard to say, but easy to do, hopefully you guys get what I meant.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by wevsspot63 View Post

Ya, I just meant to move the fan over the memory in push mode, or behind the heatsink in pull mode, leaving the heatsink as-is.
                            He could use Zip-ties like screws as well, if he has any thin enough but long still, insert them into the fan screw hole, with the square locking end snug up against the outside of the screw hole, then having the long tie part go through to the other side of the heatsink and lock onto a second fan or another tie end (Cut off so it's just the lock end part). I probably didn't explain that well, it's hard to say, but easy to do, hopefully you guys get what I meant.
                            Yeah I understand,.

Problem is,. Fans dont clear ram very well,.
                            I'll have another play with it but I think I need a new heatsink,..

Side note,:
                            MSI Twin frozer II Gtx 570,..runs a little hoter than Gigabyte superoverclock Gtx 570...
                            But,.System temps are lower with the MSI..

And in my case CPU a little warmer too,.!
                            GAEP45 UD3P rev1.1
                            Intel E8400 @4.2Ghz
                            Corsair Cl4 DDr2 800
                            Ati 4890
                            Bequite 670watt

Comment

buy some lp vengeance and sell those,the heatsinks are too tall,then you can move your cpu heatsink horizontally,with the way it is and the fan at the side the fan is missing the top and bottom heatpipes
                              Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
                              Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
                              Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
                              Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
                              1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
                              1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
                              Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
                              Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                              Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
                              Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
                              K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
                              L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
                              Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
                              Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
                              http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
                              Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Or, just raise the fan on that side a little higher than it's normal position, that should be easy to do

Comment

Working...
                                X