Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte X58A-UD3R and Xeon E5620

Hello Tweaksters,
    I'm new to this for and looking for some assistance in matching a Gigabyte X58A-UD3R with a
    Xeon E5620 CPU.
    I'm aware that its officially not supported but can find numerous links that show the CPU and Mobo in a working configuration including a previous thread posted here.
    I recently purchased a new mobo as a friend provided me with the XEON CPU and some memory.
    I spent the weekend assembling the the mobo into a new case/psu and using a new Gigabyte GTX550 Ti.
    I can't even get the mobo to post, its a Rev 2, but I can't tell what Firmware its been shipped with from factory as I don't have a spare i7 to temporarily install and confirm its operation or existing firmware.
    Any ideas how to get this rig working?

Cheers Alex

Re: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R and Xeon E5620

Do you have a system speaker attached to the motherboard? Do you hear any beeps from it? What does the L.E.D diag display, what code?

Here are a couple of things you can try.

Have you tried booting it with only 1 stick of ram and just the video card and cpu. What beep codes do you here or L.E.D diag display?

If you did not check the cpu socket before installing the cpu you might want to remove the cpu and inspect the socket for any bent pins. If you are not sure on any please take a picture and upload and post link here and others can look and see if there are any bend. Make sure you use a well lit room and use macro mode if you camera supports it.
    Main Rig
    Gigabyte z87x-OC
    Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
    G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
    Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
    Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
    HiS ATI HD 6950
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
    Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
    Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
    Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
    Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
    EK Supremacy Cpu Block
    Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
    Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Comment

Originally posted by Acebmxer View Post
      Do you have a system speaker attached to the motherboard? Do you hear any beeps from it? What does the L.E.D diag display, what code?

Here are a couple of things you can try.

Have you tried booting it with only 1 stick of ram and just the video card and cpu. What beep codes do you here or L.E.D diag display?

If you did not check the cpu socket before installing the cpu you might want to remove the cpu and inspect the socket for any bent pins. If you are not sure on any please take a picture and upload and post link here and others can look and see if there are any bend. Make sure you use a well lit room and use macro mode if you camera supports it.
      Thanks Ace for your quick responce.
      I have tried all of the options above, I removed all memory modules and only installed 1 in either DDR3_1 or DDR3_3 as per manual.
      I checked the CPU Socket prior to installing Xeon E5620 and all pins are OK, it was a new mobo and still had the protective cover over the socket.
      The LED's are an interesting one, there is a bank of LED's infront of the ATX Connector and from the manual it looks to me as the North Bridge LED Bank and I have L2 Moderate (Both Green and Orange).
      The only other LED's that are on which is a concern is the Phase LED Bank, where I have all Six LED's Green, Orange and Red ON.
      There are no POST beeps, I don't have external speakers, but I do have the Piezo Speaker plugged directly into the mobo.
      Hope this helps the Memory I was supplied with the Xeon is Samsung M392B5673FH0-CH9.
      From what I searched online these are a 2GB DDR3 PC3-10600 ECC Registered DIMM's.

Comment

Could be the MB does not support ECC/Registered DIMMs, do you have others to test with?

Comment

Originally posted by Chike View Post
          Could be the MB does not support ECC/Registered DIMMs, do you have others to test with?
          Hello Chike, again thanks you guys are fantastic and so quick with your responses.
          That was my next option to borrow a friends DDR3 Memory, I will hopefully get sometime tomorrow to get memory, at least 1 stick to try and will post my finding's.

Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by light2au View Post
            The LED's are an interesting one, there is a bank of LED's infront of the ATX Connector and from the manual it looks to me as the North Bridge LED Bank and I have L2 Moderate (Both Green and Orange).
            The only other LED's that are on which is a concern is the Phase LED Bank, where I have all Six LED's Green, Orange and Red ON.
            There are no POST beeps, I don't have external speakers, but I do have the Piezo Speaker plugged directly into the mobo.
            My mistake I thought the UD3 came with a POST led like the ud5 where it will display a code like c1 or ff that could help us to see where its hanging at.

The speaker i am talking about is the one connected to the front panel connecters on the motherboard. where you would connect the case power button and reset button wires too.

If you dont have a speaker connected there you will never here and beep codes. the speaker should only coast $1 usd.

Next question is this a know working video card? Can you try the video card in another system or try another video card in this system?
            Main Rig
            Gigabyte z87x-OC
            Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
            G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
            Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
            Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
            HiS ATI HD 6950
            Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
            Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
            Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
            Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
            CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
            Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
            EK Supremacy Cpu Block
            Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
            Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Comment

If its eec memory you have,then chike is right it wont work,you need non eec memory,I would borrow 920/930 chip and update to latest BIOS too if you still have problems as older bios's might not support the xeon
              Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
              Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
              Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
              Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
              1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
              1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
              Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
              Razer Lycosa Keyboard
              Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
              Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
              K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
              L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
              Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
              Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
              http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
              Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by wazza300 View Post
                If its eec memory you have,then chike is right it wont work,you need non eec memory,I would borrow 920/930 chip and update to latest BIOS too if you still have problems as older bios's might not support the xeon
                Latest Update I went ahead and purchased Corsair XMS3 Kit (2 x 2GB DDR-3) Memory Modules and still the same, NO POST.
                I removed the Cooler and Xeon E5620 again and inspected the Pins on the Socket, they look OK to me, but I might need a Magnifying Glass to make sure 100% that there are no bent pins.
                I will see if there is a way to borrow a friends i7 CPU and see if that works.
                If it does then its either Firmware below FF or a Bad Xeon CPU, but the CPU and Original ECC Memory came out of a working Server....

Comment

You havnt wasted your money on the ram as I remember another user with eec modules and those mb's won't support it,only non eec,your CPU should work fine,so it only leaves BIOS update or poss faulty cpu like you said
                  Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
                  Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
                  Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                  Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

Comment

Originally posted by wazza300 View Post
                    You havnt wasted your money on the ram as I remember another user with eec modules and those mb's won't support it,only non eec,your CPU should work fine,so it only leaves BIOS update or poss faulty cpu like you said
                    Thanks Wazza this Build is really doing my head in, I've read every post I can find and gone over my steps, I'm finding from other posts that the Phase LED's been on seems to be normal until POST starts and the Bios detects the CPU, so I'm not getting to that stage which could interpret why I have all SIX Phase LED's as Solid.

I've check ATX Power and ATX 12v x 2 and all seated correctly, I've even removed Sys FAN cables temporarily, but no difference.
                    When all cables are plugged in I do hear a short click not a beep from the Piezo and Both Sys Fan's PSU Fan and CPU Fan are spinning at Low RPM's thats about it, no Video at all.

System Consists of.
                    Coolmaster Silensio 550 Case
                    Coolmaster Silent Pro 600W
                    Gigabyte X58A-UD3R
                    Corsair 2 x XMS2 Memory
                    Noctua NH-U9B SE2 Cooler
                    Gigabyte GTX 550 Ti GPU

No HDD's as yet, I wanted to boot the system first before I decided which way to go for OS HDD and Data HDD, but I seem to be a long way away from this point.

Cheers and thanks again for all the help from all of you at Tweaktown..

Comment

If you have a digi cam with macro take a picture of the socket, you can post it here to have more eyes inspecting it.
                      Might be the BIOS or motherboard itself.

Comment

yes its normal for the mb lights to stay lit,until os boot up,then they should all go out apart from one green light for ram,cpu,nb and some blue lights for your cpu oc,the higher the oc the more blue lights light up,if and when you do get it running you can try your eec ram in there but im 99% sure it wont boot up,good luck on sourcing a 920/930,pity you didnt update to latest bios before you got rid
                        Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                        Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

Originally posted by Chike View Post
                          If you have a digi cam with macro take a picture of the socket, you can post it here to have more eyes inspecting it.
                          Might be the BIOS or motherboard itself.
                          Hi Chike, I did try this earlier in anticipation of your request.
                          No luck the Canon A620 I have doesn't sharpen up enough to see anything clearly, even in Macro Mode.
                          I tried with and without flash and a few other modes, but none of the pics do it justice its not focused enough to send through, I'm giving up for the night its way past my bed time, tomorrow is another day......

Thanks again for your help.

Comment

Comment

well im suprised your eec ram worked,maybe they fixed it in bios? as it didnt used to

for the large bios files you have to use the latest @bios,once flashed updated you can go back to using q-flash,its just a one off flash with @bios

and for mechanical hdd's samsung f3 or f4 1tb/2tb drives are the best imo,but are hugely expensive right now due to flooding,as for ssd its up to you corsair gt 120gb or ocz vertex 3?
                              Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                              Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

Working...
                              X