Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the Gigabyte Z68X-UD7-B3 the source of a world of hurt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the Gigabyte Z68X-UD7-B3 the source of a world of hurt?

Hello,

I have the following hardware:

Gigabyte Z68X-UD7-B3
    Gigabyte GV-R699D5-4GD-B
    Intel 2600K
    Mushkin Ridgeline 996982 4gb x4
    OCZ Vertex 2 SSD(2VTXE 120GB) AHCI/Win7x64
    WD2001FASS x12 HDD
    Adaptec 2805 Controller (JBOD)
    Highpoint RR 2300 Controller (JBOD)
    Auzentech X Fi Prelude (PCI)
    Enermax Galaxy DXX 1000w
    All hardware has the latest firmware and drivers.

For the past few months I've been struggling with various issues which seem to be getting progressively worse. Including:

Latency accessing all disks on the Intel & Marvel controller. The HDD disks were originally WD Green drives and were all replaced 2-4 weeks ago with Blacks.

Intermittent latency accessing the Recycle Bin. Anywhere from 10 to 30 seconds. Longer on rare occasions. Programs seem to load fine.

Intermittent system freezing requiring a hard restart. This issue seems to have decreased in frequency by reverting to RAM default settings although for some time it ran without any problems when tweaked to Mushkin specs. Thus there appears to be some kind of degradation. Working with Muchkin I ran OCCT overnight as well as a few other utilities. All reported no errors. It's my understanding that the RAM as an issue is a long shot.

Intermittent inability to support dual monitors. Intermittent native 1920x1080 resolution going off the screen.
    Incredible system lag when the latter happens. I RMA the video card. During the time the card was away two other video cards faired no better.
    Unplugging the second monitor decreased the frequency of resolution changes as described above but it still happens. A reboot or three usually brings it back to normal. Tried different ports and new cables.

TotalMedia Theatre 5 is a very nice blu-ray media player that used to run exceptionally well with the most incredible picture. It lags bad enough now that it's no longer functional. I mention this software because it's pretty resource intensive for a media player. But when she works, wow.

All video games at times become unplayable with a kind of lag similar to a poor network connection. This continued both before and after the video card swaps but as of late has occurred only a few times whereas at one point I went weeks without the ability to play a game. I'm stumped as to why. The hardware did not change. Replaced a bunch of LAN cables which in the end I didn't need.

Controller card(s) no longer work: (One says, "loading controller kernel..." indefinitely. I put in another controller card and it worked for a day then the following error appeared during boot: "The file is possibly corrupt. The files header checksum does not match the computed checksum." Flashed them both but there was no change. So I can't load Windows anymore if either is installed.

I've done countless fresh OS installs all through this time. MS is sure to have me phone in for activation sometime soon. I RMA the Adaptec card once. I've never OC'd anything because I've been dealing with these issues in one way or another almost since day one. I've tried one piece of hardware at a time and used different PCI-E slots with one problem or another continuing to happen. I also used OCCT to stretch the legs of the power supply. Ran fine. Both Intel and Gigabyte say they are open to RMA but each blames each other , the RAM or suggests I replace the CPU/mobo/RAM/PS and originally the video card. Turned out to be nothing wrong with the video card and thus I'm reluctant to make another move until I get a better sense of what to replace next. Given the diversity of the problems Google searches are fruitless. These problems as I've described them seem to defy common sense trouble shooting. Defiantly the worst build ever. Absolutely no joy. The only part I have that I can a say absolutely works is the sound card.

In conclusion I would be very grateful for, and appreciative of, any assistance that helps me resolve this build once and for all.

Thank you,

MJ
    Last edited by meat juice; 10-16-2011, 02:29 AM.

Re: Is the Gigabyte Z68X-UD7-B3 the source of a world of hurt?

What kind of stablity test have you ran on the system? Suggest either LinX or prime95. If you choose LinX set program to use Max memory and for a total of 10-15 loops. Prime95 run blend for 6-12hrs. See if you can run those for set time with out getting errors. You will have to set prime95 to stop on errors. If you get any blue screens see the link in my sig on how to correct them.

Before you run any test, you should make sure you are not using AUTO voltage in bios. You can use Easy Tune 6 to see what voltages are being set by the bios and then enter those in for a starting point. The idea is to use least voltage as possible while still maintain stability.

If you have any further issues please post your current bios settings that are giving you trouble. Also forgot to mention are you running at stock speed or are you overclocked?
    Main Rig
    Gigabyte z87x-OC
    Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
    G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
    Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
    Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
    HiS ATI HD 6950
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
    Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
    Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
    Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
    Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
    EK Supremacy Cpu Block
    Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
    Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Comment

Hey Acebmxer,

I have not run stability tests other than what was mentioned above because everything is running at stock speed. I've never had a stable system to try an overclock. The BIOS settings have remained unchanged other than changing boot devices, RAM settings and other basic stuff. With that in mind if you still think there's value in a stability test I'll follow through. I'm not quite sure I understand the logic though as I would have thought this gear would run out of the box with relatively few adjustments like every other board I've had. Nevertheless I'll adjust the voltages from auto as you suggested. Could you reaffirm a stress test is needed with no OC?

Thanks,
      MJ

Comment

With so much ram and add-on cards and disks you should build the system bottom to top.
        Can you have a stable system with just the SSD 16GB memory and the video card installed?
        That's the place to start, and then add disks/cards.

Comment

Hey Chike,

I did as you recommended awhile ago. However I can't have stability with 2 sticks of RAM, the SSD, sound and video card. I was having the resolution/dual monitor issues I described earlier as well as the game lag with a bare bones setup. Adding a controller card and the HDD disks did not seem to alter anything for better or worse. When they did work the disks that were attached to the add-on controllers were much more responsive than disks attached to the on-board controllers. They didn't have any of the latency issues the on-board controlled disks have demonstrated. With the OS on an SSD I would expect the Recycle Bin to pop up in a heart beat.

I'm by no means an expert but my gut is telling me the CPU, the MoBo or both are faulty. There the only pieces of hardware I can see that could have all these issues in common. Plugging anything into the PCI-E slots seems to be a death sentence as two controller cards seem to be on the verge of being declared dead. The disks attached to the on-board controllers are latent. Three video cards had the same issues in 4 different PCI-E slots.

It sounds like a lot of gear but most of the disks are idle and shut off after 20 minutes. I've only been running one add-on controller card at a time with 4 disks attached. All these disks accept for the SSD and 1 specific HDD get used infrequently. 2 HDD's are external via esata and are usually off. The others might not be accessed for days or even weeks.

That said maybe I don't appreciate the amount of gear on this board. I'm definitely not discounting anything anyone says related to this. But I will think something to death so I hope I don't come off as a dick.

Thanks for your reply,
          MJ
          Last edited by meat juice; 10-16-2011, 02:46 AM.

Comment

So you cannot have stable setup even with only 2 memory modules 8GB? How about 1 4GB module?
            I'd take the Sound card out also.
            It would be easier to convince GB to RMA the board.
            Can you please attach a CPU-Z text report(CPU-Z -> About tab -> Save Report (.TXT))?
            In the forum "Go Advanced" and attach the file.

Comment

That's correct. Even with just 2 modules (8gb) the problems persist. I don't believe I tried 1 stick. Tomorrow morning I'm thinking of doing yet another OS install with 1 stick, no sound, the SSD and the video card. It may take some time to get back to this thread as these issues are largely intermittent. I'm also curious if I can revive that controller card that gives the error message with a fresh install. I'd hate to be out of pocket on those too. I'll run the Prime95 test overnight and get back when I have done the above.
              Attached Files

Comment

I don't know if it's CPU-Z version but I am having trouble finding the ram voltag in the monitoring section
                Hardware monitor ITE IT8728
                Voltage 0 1.04 Volts [0x57] (CPU VCORE)
                Voltage 1 2.00 Volts [0xA7] (VIN1)
                Voltage 2 2.95 Volts [0xF6] (+3.3V)
                Voltage 3 4.90 Volts [0xF3] (+5V)
                Voltage 4 1.20 Volts [0x19] (+12V)
                Voltage 5 -3.84 Volts [0x50] (-12V)
                Voltage 6 -6.10 Volts [0x7F] (-5V)
                Voltage 7 2.84 Volts [0x8D] (+5V VCCH)
                Voltage 8 1.64 Volts [0x89] (VBAT)
                The only one that looks within range is VBAT. Did you set memory voltage manually to 1.65v?

Comment

What make/wattage psu are you using?
                  Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
                  Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
                  Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
                  Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
                  1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
                  1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
                  Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
                  Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                  Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
                  Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
                  K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
                  L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
                  Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
                  Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
                  http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
                  Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chike View Post
                    I don't know if it's CPU-Z version but I am having trouble finding the ram voltag in the monitoring section

The only one that looks within range is VBAT. Did you set memory voltage manually to 1.65v?
                    At the time I sent you that CPU-Z report I was on 4 sticks all settings were auto. Accordingly the voltage would change depending on load. I've prepared a new report with CPU-zx64 v1.58 and attached it below. The previous report was with v1.57. There was a lot of info in it that I found confusing because I had XMP enabled.

As I mentioned earlier I did re-install the OS today on an SSD with 1 stick of RAM and the video card. I left everything stock in the BIOS except AHCI, boot order and the splash screen. Early in the testing I had the screen resolution exceed the width and height of the monitor. The latency I described was still there (Recyle Bin/WinRar/TMT5. I tried the RR2300 controller and got the same error message mentioned earlier so I took it out. With that in mind I then filled the on-board controllers with HDDs. I stuck in another stick of RAM for a total of two sticks and the RAM seems stable on 1.65v/1600/7-9-8-24 (was freezing on 4 sticks@9-9-9-24 prior to the fresh OS). Actually scared to put the others in because I'm getting weary from all the bad news.

I ran Prime95 for 9 hours last night. Was surprised to find the system was still running when I got up. Going to try the IntelBurnTest tonight.

I reported earlier in this thread that the videocard I RMA was ok. That's not actually correct. I reported all the symptoms correctly but in the end I RMA the card because it wouldn't post on any of the ports. Add two controller cards and I've got a feeling the PCI-E slots are killing my gear. Three pieces of hardware in a month has me suspicious. Add to that the RAM used to be stable on 4 sticks until recently. Lots of bad vibes from this box. I'll report the results of the IntelBurnTest tomorrow.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by wazza300 View Post
                      What make/wattage psu are you using?
                      Enermax Galaxy DXX 1000w. I ran it on OCCT with no errors. The developer says it's a balls out load test on the PSU.

Comment

Don't run too much IBT, 5-10 loops with 6144MB or max is enough.
                        Then try the other 2 modules(8GB) at their slots, and run Prime95 blend. Perheps all you need is a bit more VTT to have all 16GB stable.
                        Check the actual voltage readings with EasyTune/TouchBIOS, some of them don't look so great, maybe it's the PSU.

Comment

Went to bed prior to your last message. I set the stress level to very high/100 passes. When I got up the result was "Success". However the computer was frozen and had to do a hard boot. That suggests to me something went wrong after the test. I've attached a log fyi.

I've been wondering whether it's the mobo, cpu or psu all along. As I mentioned earlier there's a significant cost associated with each of these pieces of hard ware. For that reason, is there anything else I can do to narrow down which I should replace first? Educated guess work is welcome.
                          Attached Files

Comment

In all of your considerations re possible causes I have not seen any consideration given to your SSD being the cause.

The first thing I'd do is remove your SSD and put an OS on one of your Black drives, see if that fixes your issues.

You could also try benchmarking it, but bench it without it being your boot drive. Download ATTO Disk Benchmark v2.46 | techPowerUp
                            Corsair 800D Case
                            Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD7-B3 F9
                            i7-2600K @ 4.8GHz
                            4x4GB G.SKill Sniper 1600MHz F3-12800CL7D-8GBSR [email protected]
                            Corsair H100
                            Corsair 120GB Force 2 SSD
                            4x 1.5TB WD Greens
                            SilverStone Strider Gold 1200W
                            2x Sapphire HD 6970

Comment

Originally posted by ~LL~ View Post
                              In all of your considerations re possible causes I have not seen any consideration given to your SSD being the cause.

The first thing I'd do is remove your SSD and put an OS on one of your Black drives, see if that fixes your issues.

You could also try benchmarking it, but bench it without it being your boot drive. Download ATTO Disk Benchmark v2.46 | techPowerUp
                              LL, good point. I just put it on my list of things to do. I'll make an image of the OS on the SSD now, put the OS on a Black/bench the SSD and restore the image if nothing comes of the test.

Comment

Working...
                              X