No announcement yet.

QPI confusion (Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: QPI confusion (Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R)

Temps are fine,is 1.275v the voltage it uses when you set cpu to normal? If so you could reduce load voltage by setting dvid to -0.0500v this would alter load cpu voltage to 1.2250v and still auto clock down at idle,you would need to test it for stability as it would reduce load temps if stable

Your c0 chip just try the same settings and see,its all down to individual cpu regardless of stepping
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by wazza300 View Post
      Temps are fine,is 1.275v the voltage it uses when you set cpu to normal? If so you could reduce load voltage by setting dvid to -0.0500v this would alter load cpu voltage to 1.2250v and still auto clock down at idle,you would need to test it for stability as it would reduce load temps if stable

Your c0 chip just try the same settings and see,its all down to individual cpu regardless of stepping
      Hi,
      Thank you. Think that the temps went up to 81C maximum on one possibly two of the four cores whilst running a stess-test. Please confirm this is okay as I'm not 100% certain that I've a large enough rad failing that possibly need to add an additional 80mm fan to configure in the push-pull configuration mentioned (guess this is worth a try?)

The idle voltage is showing as 1.248v - is this okay?

Thanks .

Comment

You can attach another fan if you want,yes 81/82c will be ok

When cpu is idle it still uses 1.248v? It should use 0.975v or thereabouts unless your running cpu at full speed all tje time,makesure you've set all options in advanced cpu features to enabled except c1e,disable that,maksure cpu voltage is set to normal in cpu voltage list and set to balanced power saving profile in Windows power saving options

Did you set dvid to -0.0500v ? I run my cpu clocked this way and I find it the best way,giving me 4.2ghz speed when I need it and around 2.6ghz when just browsing web ect,don't worry the cpu always uses full power if and when needed kinda like a giant Intel turbo boost
        Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
        Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
        Razer Lycosa Keyboard
        Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

Comment

You can attach another fan if you want,yes 81/82c will be ok

When cpu is idle it still uses 1.248v? It should use 0.975v or thereabouts unless your running cpu at full speed all tje time,makesure you've set all options in advanced cpu features to enabled except c1e,disable that,maksure cpu voltage is set to normal in cpu voltage list and set to balanced power saving profile in Windows power saving options

Did you set dvid to -0.0500v ? I run my cpu clocked this way and I find it the best way,giving me 4.2ghz speed when I need it and around 2.6ghz when just browsing web ect,don't worry the cpu always uses full power if and when needed kinda like a giant Intel turbo boost
          Hi,
          Shall check the advanced features as you've suggested. I was concerned with the CPU running at 1.248v.
          4.2GHz that's brilliant. What sort of temperatures are you getting?

Think that my Coolermaster Aquagate would bring temperatures down further as there's two 80mm fans fitted to a twin-fan rad as opposed to the one-fan rad that I'm using. Whilst I really like the Aquagate Liquid Cooling the pump runs quite noisily (perhaps it should not be running noisily - not 100% sure).

Need to get some kip shortly I think otherwise will need a caffeine-boost to stay awake.

Thanks again for all of your help. It's much appreciated .

Comment

Try those settings so that cpu downclocks in speed and voltage when idle,you can reduce load voltage by using dvid it will reduce temps further

My temps are around 76-79c across the four cores load and around 36-40c idle,using the c states and dvid help with idle/load temps and shouldn't affect oc
            Razer Lycosa Keyboard
            Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

Try those settings so that cpu downclocks in speed and voltage when idle,you can reduce load voltage by using dvid it will reduce temps further

My temps are around 76-79c across the four cores load and around 36-40c idle,using the c states and dvid help with idle/load temps and shouldn't affect oc
              Hi,
              Shall give those settings a try .

The 80mm fan attached to the rad in this rig is attached to the CPU Fan socket on the Mobo. Am wondering whether this should be connected to one of the other fan connectors. Any ideas please?
              As the fan connector is a 3-pin one at a guess the fan cannot step-up and step-down accordingly as this would require a 4-pin connector for PWM is this correct (perhaps I'm barking up the wrong tree)?

Thanks.

.... Really need to get some kip now.

Edit:-
              Cannot understand why the CPU whilst idle is using 1.248v. Checked the BIOS settings and nothing in there matches this voltage.
              Confusing.
              c1e was enabled however is disabled now as suggested.

Cannot find any reference to 'dvid' anywhere unfortunately - any ideas please?
              Thanks.
              Last edited by LinuxNewbie; 04-07-2011, 07:38 PM. Reason: cannot find 'dvid'.

Comment

Select enable fan control and manually set mode to voltage, that would lower fan speed when emps are low.

Comment

Originally posted by Chike View Post
                  Select enable fan control and manually set mode to voltage, that would lower fan speed when emps are low.
                  Thanks . Didn't realise that the fan could be controlled via the voltage ramping up and down (as required) whilst plugged into a Mobo fan socket.

Caffeine I need you .

Fan control was enabled however was set to 'Auto' - at a guess this meant that it was in PWM control. Anyway 'Voltage' control has now been set. Thanks again.
                  Last edited by LinuxNewbie; 04-07-2011, 07:34 PM. Reason: Added additional info'.

Comment

If cpu voltage is set to normal it should unlock dvid for adjustment,look in Windows power saving options and makesure its set to balanced,you can buy a y splitter for your fans or connect second one to mb
                    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                    Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

If cpu voltage is set to normal it should unlock dvid for adjustment,look in Windows power saving options and makesure its set to balanced,you can buy a y splitter for your fans or connect second one to mb
                      Hi Wazza300,

Thank you for your reply. Shall check the cpu voltage setting in the BIOS again as it's not budged from 1.248v.

Am pleased to say that the machine's been running well for the last 48-72 hrs since overclocking.

My iMac that's literally only just out of warranty died this morning so I was quite unhappy about that. No doubt the repair costs are going to be costly.

Had three movies playing back concurrently via VLC, Quicktime and WMP; was downloading several music tracks from Ovi; Copying several Gig worth of files from one folder to another and encoding an M4V file to 3GP (think that's 'encoding' and not called something else anyway).... and the CPU was still running at idling speed of 2.4GHz (should it not have ramped up a little?). Basically the machine was not complaining at all.

Only thing I'm concerned with is that the Liquid Cooling might not be adequate without an additional 80mm Case Fan mounted onto the opposite side of the rad. Any idea's where suitable screws/bolts can be found please? (Think they're 3mm dia screws/bolts and will need to be long enough to go through an 80mm Case Fan and be able to screw into the rad).

Tried Wilko's but they did not have any 3mm screws/bolts unfortunately.
                      (think they're 3mm dia screw/bolt holes however am not 100% certain - by all means correct me should I be barking completely up the wrong tree).

Thanks again for your help. Really interested to get more into modding and OC'ing.

Forgot to mention that the 80mm Case Fan that is attached to the rad has never ramped up in speed that I'm aware of and that's even where the temperatures were nearing 80C. Is this okay? The fan is meant to be controlled via 'voltage' now from what I can gather.
                      (is the fourth pin used for PWM? There's three wires only on the fan but was wondering what the fourth pin / wire was/would be for - think it's for PWM control as opposed to voltage control however again am not 100% certain).
                      Last edited by LinuxNewbie; 04-10-2011, 12:22 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention fan does not 'ramp' up at all.

Comment

I dont know any good places to order from in the UK but from the USA this place is really good

FrozenCPU.com | 1.877.243.8266 | World's Largest Selection of PC Modification Supplies I get all my Water cooling stuff there.

Edit- if you wanna get into better modding or better watter cooling and overclocking. look over at XtremeSystems.org
                        Last edited by Acebmxer; 04-10-2011, 12:32 PM.
                        Main Rig
                        Gigabyte z87x-OC
                        Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
                        G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
                        Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
                        Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
                        HiS ATI HD 6950
                        Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
                        Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
                        Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
                        Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
                        CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
                        Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
                        EK Supremacy Cpu Block
                        Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
                        Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Comment

Be sure you don't have your RAD fan connected to SYS-Fan2 port!

All other ports should run it at 100% if you set fan control to disable in the BIOS, use voltage if you want it to adjust but if you do that you'll need to connect it to the CPU fan header.

Yes 4th pin if for PWM function, PWM and 3 pin voltage adjustment is similar it's just how the voltage is regulated to them while adjustments are made is the only difference really.

Comment

Working...
                          X