Clear All

• GA-EX58-UD3R power loop

I'll start with my current system specs:

MOBO: GA-EX58-UD3R rev 1.6 - 2009, Week 21
    CPU: i7 920 @ stock speeds
    RAM: 6GB DDR3 1066
    GPU: EVGA GTX470
    PSU: Kingwin 730Watt

I purchased and built my gaming rig back in June 2009 - The video card at the time was an Asus GTX275.

Today, for no apparent reason, my PC does not turn on (I'm obviously on an alt computer at the moment).

I hit the power button and the system will attempt to boot for a couple of seconds... The motherboards lights will come on, the case fans will spin, the CPU fan will start to spin, the case lights turn on, and my peripherals like the GPU and HDD will start... Then it will shut off... No POST beep message will sound during that time and no images on my screen. Rinse and repeat until I finally shut off the power supply. It just power cycles, basically.

Things I have tried:
    1. Put each stick of RAM in each DIMM slot, one at a time, to make sure that the RAM was ok. Still had the same cycling. But, I did notice that when I put a stick, any stick, into the #3 slot (the single blue slot), I would manage to get a POST code of continuous short beeps. According to the manual, that's a "power issue." And with no RAM modules installed, my PC would manage to stay powered on, but still no POST and nothing on my display.
    2. I bought a new PSU the other day because I thought my other was the issue; I bought a high quality PSU. The Sonic X650. Still no POST and seeing power cycling.
    3. With the old PSU and the new PSU, I tried disconnecting all unnecessary peripherals. Still cycling. When I disconnect the ATX power cable from the mobo, the PC does manage to stay running. No POST or display, though.

Some food for thought, I hadn't really changed anything in my system. I never updated the BIOS or overclocked my CPU or GPU... About two months ago, I first noticed my rear audio jack went dead. Then I started to notice significant performance loss in all of my games - I ran many tests from Memtest, Prime95, and OCCT, but they yielded no results or errors. Then this power cycling recently came about.

Ok, sorry for the wall-o-text. But before I go and request and RMA, I have a couple of questions... Does it sound like it's time to RMA my motherboard, or am I missing something? And what exactly does my limited warranty cover at this point in my ownership of the GA-EX58-UD3R?

Thanks, all!

Re: GA-EX58-UD3R power loop

Try leaving mb battery out overnight,it might need longer to clear it,did you test with another graphics card?

As for mb warranty you have 3 years from date of purchase,if the mb is faulty they will repair/replace

Regarding blue memory slots it won't boot up from any blue slot unless you have all the white slots populated with ram

BTW,did you test setup outside of case on cardboard or wooden surface? Try that just to eliminate any shorts
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Thanks for the info!

I did leave the battery out overnight a few nights ago.

I'll try breadboarding it today.
      Last edited by smash; 03-20-2011, 02:13 PM.

Comment

I just tried the breadboarding trick and still no POST. I went with the steps outlined in this thread: Breadboarding - General-Homebuilt - Homebuilt-Systems

Comment

Have you tried with your new psu and another graphic card? Just incase your old psu took out your evga gpu if and when it died,if no luck with new psu and different graphics card then I would consider mb rma
          Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
          Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
          Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
          Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
          1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
          1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
          Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
          Razer Lycosa Keyboard
          Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
          Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
          K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
          L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
          Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
          Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
          http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
          Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Well, when I did the breadboard, I first installed only the CPU and heatsink to try and generate at least some kind of POST message. No luck. Then I added one RAM module just to see, and still no POST.

Yeah, I did try using both PSU's.

Thanks for the suggestions btw, wazza300.

Comment

I RMA'd the motherboard and Gigabyte's customer service has told me that the BIOS chip had become corrupted so they replaced that chip. I'll be getting the board back in two days.

Comment

Nice to hear they fixed this up for you quickly!

Comment

Originally posted by smash View Post
                  I RMA'd the motherboard and Gigabyte's customer service has told me that the BIOS chip had become corrupted so they replaced that chip. I'll be getting the board back in two days.
                  I guess it corrupted it self bad enough that the second bios couldnt kick in and revcover it????

Glad to hear they are fixing it and you will have back fast.
                  Main Rig
                  Gigabyte z87x-OC
                  Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
                  G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
                  Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
                  Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
                  HiS ATI HD 6950
                  Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
                  Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
                  Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
                  Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
                  CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
                  Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
                  EK Supremacy Cpu Block
                  Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
                  Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Comment

Working...
                  X