X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gigabyte Assassin Users

here you go man 120mm fan in all fan headers:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Your problem might be with the full amount of current going to each fan, do you have the molex connectors plugged in for extra power? your issue is very weird. The fan works right? just no sensor reading? you might have an isolated case.

Comment

Thanks for your testing for him Sin!

So, Memories4Life, you said an 80mm fan works correctly right, and shows RPM's? If so then the board is OK, I was thinking maybe a cut RPM trace, but if you have any fan that does work then it can't be that.

I am not sure what the issue is though, and I find it hard to believe 1 or even 2 fans could be incompatible with a header, sounds impossible to be true. So I am really not sure what is causing this, it would be best if you contact them directly and see if they can get the same exact fans you have and then test themselves.

Comment

Hi lsdmeasap,

Yeah i find it strange that all fans tried (different brands) but the 80mm works. Another thing i noticed is that when i first power system on fans are running really low almost to a point where thay are not working. sys_fan, Fan#1, fan#2. (Cpu_fan has a pump attached and fan#3 has a pump attached). But when i get into OS and launch easy tune fans will spin up to correct speed. Im going to return the board tomorrow not sure if ill be going for another gigabyte as i can't afford to have any more down time. I tried to contact Gigabyte before coming to tweaktown but found it impossible to explain to these guys what was happening as they kept on coming back and saying there must be a problem with my fan. Even thou i have explained that i have used a 200mm, 140mm, 120mm (several types) but only the 80mm works and all the fans work on the other headers.

Thanks guys for your help.

Regards

As you can see easytune has not even registered the fans rpm on header #1
        Last edited by Memories4Life; 03-20-2011, 03:49 AM.
        Asus Rampage 3 (Black Edition) [Had the Assassin for 10days and so NOT worth the money charged]
        Intel 990x & Koolance CPU-370 Water block
        24GB Corsiar Vengence
        6xWD 500gb RE HDD's Raid0
        2xOptical drives
        2x Nvidia 295's with Aquagrphx Waterblocks.
        Corsiar HX 1000
        Logitech G19 & Logitech Revolution MX
        2x Asus Monitors.

Comment

I think as long as the 80mm works that shows the board and BIOS is fine, there is just something wrong with the fans maybe not wanting to power up with less voltage?

Sorry to hear you are returning the board over this, but I do understand where you are coming from.

Comment

Another thing i found strange with this board.. Sys_Fan, Fan#1-3 cannot be controlled directly by the bios. Its only the Cpu_Fan that can be controlled. Seems gigabyte has a lack of bios features on this board.!
            Asus Rampage 3 (Black Edition) [Had the Assassin for 10days and so NOT worth the money charged]
            24GB Corsiar Vengence
            2xOptical drives
            Corsiar HX 1000
            2x Asus Monitors.

Comment

Hi, LSDmeasap,

Cant be the fans becuase if i plug the same fans into fans#2 & 3 and into sys_fans they work fine and bios see's there rpm speed.. the problems is only with head#1
              24GB Corsiar Vengence
              2xOptical drives
              Corsiar HX 1000
              2x Asus Monitors.

Comment

They designed Easytune to handle all of that instead, and didn't include them in both BIOS and easytune so users would not be confused.

I do agree though, having those options in the BIOS would be better than in software that many may never install.

Comment

24GB Corsiar Vengence
                  2xOptical drives
                  Corsiar HX 1000
                  2x Asus Monitors.

Comment

Firewire was probably removed because not many people use it, let alone gamers. I have not used that board, but all the other boards have EHCI or XHCI option for USB3 I believe, are you sure it's not there or did you mean for USB 2.0?

Comment

Ehci is an option (enable/disable) that allows you to let the OS deal with it using usb3 or usb2. I found with a usb harddrive you almost get a third more in transfer speeds when its disabled in the bios and the OS deals with it. On this board USB is dead slow when is comes to transfer rates.
                      24GB Corsiar Vengence
                      2xOptical drives
                      Corsiar HX 1000
                      2x Asus Monitors.

Comment

Thanks, I never knew about that. I do know the other boards have EHCI/XHCI option for USB 3.0 only not USB 2.0 though.

If that is missing for USB 3.0 on this board I'm sure that's probably by accident and they will add it in later, all other board have it so I don't see why this one wouldn't.

Comment

Ehci hands off was an option included into Bios's before USB 3 was introduced. To be honest im not sure how well it works with USB3 because i don't use any USB3 devices. I do know that it works very well when disabled in the bios and the OS is allowed to handle it. Example when bios deals with EHCI your USB HDD transfer speeds are around 20ish MB/S. when disabled in bios and OS is allowed to handle your Hdd transfer speeds will reach around 35ish MB/s. As you can see there are huge performance gains when you allow the OS to deal with EHCI.
                          24GB Corsiar Vengence
                          2xOptical drives
                          Corsiar HX 1000
                          2x Asus Monitors.

Comment

My G1 Assassin doesn't have that problem, and as far as lack of BIOS support for the fan its not a big deal because easytune easily controls it. I have a question is your 120mm fan 4 pin?

I find it halarious that youd return the board over this especially because you could just use an 80mm fan in sys1, and i haven't seen too many boards with fan support on 5 headers.

On the USB 3.0 ordeal, you need to understand if you plug in a USB 2.0 device the board switches to the ICH for native USB 2.0 connectivity, and only when a USb 3.0 device is detected will it use the Nec USB 3.0 controller.

I have never heard of EHCI though.

Comment

I also would not return a board over a single wonky fan header, it could be anything causing the issue and that is a VERY minor thing even if it is never fixed for you.

No problems here with USB 2 and not having that BIOS option, I can max out USB 2 speeds no problem

Comment

Sorry dude but i don't agree with you on that.. Lets say the board does have a minor defect on the fan header to me that warrants an exchange. If you brought a car brand new and it had a scratch on the bonnet your saying you wouldn't take it back for an exchange? i know a car is on a different scale price wise but the principle remains the same. your purchased item should be sold without ANY defects. that's my opinion.

As far as the USB is concerned. I don't get full speeds because the bios is controlling EHCI and personally i think gigabyte should implement this because the OS deals with it much better than any mobo. I have a few systems here which has an EHCI option within the bios and once disabled i find my Usb Hdd's run alot quicker on thoses boards than they do on this Assassin.

I'm returning the board today. So in a few hours ill be able to tell you if it a defect or a bios problem.

Regards.
                                24GB Corsiar Vengence
                                2xOptical drives
                                Corsiar HX 1000
                                2x Asus Monitors.

Comment

Working...
                                X