GA-X58A-UD3R - Unstable booting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-X58A-UD3R - Unstable booting

This system ran fine for 2 weeks. I was never able to get it to run with the memory set to 1600 using the profile or manually setting the timing and the voltage to 1.65v. I ran at 1333 for these 2 weeks.

This past weekend I decided to give it a try again and 1st set the profile for 1600 and the system didn't even boot. I had to pop the battery to get it to boot. I installed the lates BIOS for a Rev 2 board "FE" and the system became more unstable.

ran Default settings with memory at 1066
    Ever since then I have the following symptoms:
    1 - 85% of the time will boot 1st time after sitting for some time
    2 - Sometimes will not even boot - no beeps or will give one long beep
    3 - Sometimes will start to boot then will freeze in bios boot section
    4 - Sometime will boot and the screen will freeze but the computer will continue to boot, I can hear the opening sound for Windows.
    5 - If I have to reboot it will fail to boot to the BIOS 90% of the time, no beeps. I turn it off and wait for a few minutes. I have monitored the CPU temp - max after gaming 46 deg C, Video max after gaming 74 Deg C.
    6 - If I succesfully boot into Windows will be stable 99% of the time. Every now and the system will lock or screen will freeze.
    7 - I have had it give me a warning that the system had an overclock or over voltage problem even though it wasn't over clocked or over voltaged.

I ordered a 2nd set of memory and it should show up tomorrow.

Anyone have any ideas??

I appreciate any help were to start.

System:
    i7-950
    COOLER MASTER Intel Core i7 V8 RR-UV8-XBU1-GP 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler
    Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R, Rev 2, Bios FE
    Corsair - TR3X6G1600C9 - DDR3 1600
    KINGWIN Lazer LZ-1000 1000W
    GeForce GTX 480 - GIGABYTE GV-N480D5-15I-B
    WD Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s
    WD Caviar Black 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s
    Antec 900 Chassis
    Windows 7 Professional

Re: GA-X58A-UD3R - Unstable booting

Since your RAM has not operated correctly, I would be a bit suspicious. Can you check your RAM using memtest - check each stick individually and see if you get any errors.

I also suggest that you check your Ram after loading "optimised settings" in the bios.

The FE bios is very stable on my machine (same CPU & Ram), so if you are sure you flashed it correctly using Qflash, then I dont think that is your problem.

The experts here should be able to give you more advice if you need it

cheers

Comment

Thanks for your reply Rebel.

1 - I received the memory and swapped it out and the system doesn't act any different.
      2 - I have tried loading both the Fail-Safe and Optimized defaults with no difference in the operation.
      3 - I tried re-seating the video card and the power supply connectors with no success.

Rebooting after every change is difficult since it successfully boots about 1 out of 30 tries.
      The funny thing is, if I can get it to boot into windows it typically runs just fine.

Anymore Ideas??

Thanks Dave

Comment

The next thing I would do is remove/unplug all devices (HDD's DVD drives etc) from the motherboard except for the minimum devices required to boot into bios. So - 1 stick of RAM (Tested and installed in the white coloured RAM slots), CPU, Video card and keyboard, see if that boots into bios every time.

If that boots, then try adding devices to see if you can identify the problem. If you are still having boot problems with the minimum devices setup, it is possible that there may be an isssue with the motherboard.

One other thing you may want to try is, using Optimised Settings in the bios, manually set QPI/VTT around 1.29 - 1.3 volts. This will not harm any components and can be set to a lower value if it resolves the boot-up. I know my board sometimes fails to boot if I leave the value set to Auto, so I run mine at 1.275 volts.

There are other threads on this board where people have had boot up problems similar to yours - do a search and see if there is anything else you can try.

You may also wish to raise a ticket with Gigabyte to see if thay have any other suggestions.

I hope that you can get your setup working.

Comment

Hi Rebel,

Thanks again for your reply.
          I tried everything you suggested with no success. I have been very suspicious of the video card since some of the symptoms video problems. So, I pulled the video card and put in a low end card that I had laying around. The machine booting started acting normal. I didn't let it boot into windows because it of the video chipset diffences but I booted at least 10 times with no more delays or problems. I tried setting the memory profile 1 setting the memory to 1600 and the machine had no problems booting. I pulled that card and then plugged the GTX480 card into the 2nd PCI Express x16. The machine booted with no problems into windows with the memory set to 1600. However it wasn't sable in windows. It kept crashing. I tried increasing the QPI/VTT voltage with no success. I then switched the memory down to 1333 and even that wasn't stable. However the machine had no booting issues like before. So, I moved the Video card back into the 1st slot and tried again. I am now back to when I started.

I did pull a ticket with Gigabyte 2 days ago (no responses yet). I now have more info. The only good thing is that the video card is a Gigabyte card too so hopefully will beable to make this good.

Dave

Comment

Well it sounds like you may have isolated the problem to your video card.

Now for the memory problem - have you tried enabling XMP in the memory profile in the bios, this setting should set the appropriate divider to 1600mhz and set QPI/Vtt & Vdimm voltage along with CL, tCRD, tRP and tRAS (usually 9,9,9,24 @ 1.65 volts) etc.

Remember, if you raise the Ram setting above 1066 - Ram timings and voltages must also be raised as you are basically overclocking your ram. I suggest installing CPU-z and check under the SPD settings tab, it will display the JEDEC and XMP settings for 1066/1333/1600 etc - this is what you need to set in the bios for stability.

Make sure that Bclk is set at 133. It should boot OK with these settings, if not you will need to do some more tests to see if your memory is faulty.

Tickets with Gigabyte support can take up to a week or so to get a reply.

Comment

I agree, it sounds like the one video card is possibly faulty.

Although you do need to adjust things for stability as well in regards to the memory and instabilities, the video card is the main issue I see.

Comment

Thanks guys. I have moved the video card around from the 1st slot (PCI Express x16), the 2nd slot (PCI Express x8) and the 3rd slot (PCI Express x16). It really doesn't work in the 1st slot and it is somewhat stable in the 2nd and 3rd slots. I reinstalled the Intel chipset drivers and the video drivers and it seemed to get quite a bit better. I played Left4Dead 2 for about 1 hour with no problems but Team Fortress 2 crashes within minutes if it even makes it into the game. It does do some strange screen flashing when entering windows and some sound clashes. There have been a number of caught and recovered video driver crashes. This Video card lived in a 3GHz Core 2 chassis for 2 months with no problems so I am suspicious that this mother board is having a problem with it. I plan on pulling the video card and putting in the other chassis. I suspect it will run just fine.

Rebel - I did set the XMP profile and boosted the QPI/Vtt to 1.29v. It is running right now and passed the Microsoft memory test. I haven't tried Mem Test 86 yet. It isn't as stable at this profile vs the 1333 setup but I think it is all related to the motherboard and video card interaction.

Question on the Gigabyte support. I put in a question and it has been 4 days with no answer. Is this the process for getting their support or do you 1st submit a RMA request? Would I send back both the Video card and the Mother board together? If this is the typical response time it could take a couple of months to turn around these 2 boards.

Thanks again for all your help.
                Dave

Comment

It can take a while to get a reply from support, they are often very busy.

RMA and support ticket is different, RMA request will only take you 2-3 days or less to get a number back, and then 14-21 days to get a board returned once they receive your board (Depending on how busy they are, where you live in relation to CA, and what they have to fix on the board if anything).

Did you test this graphics card in another computer, if not please do so now so you can see if it's the card itself or not. Or test another PCI or PCIE card in your computer

Comment

Thanks Lsdmeasap.

Well I spent 3 hours pulling the two machines apart and uninstalling the graphics drivers and swapping video cards.
                    1 - The GTX480 did NOT work in the old machine. It was having boot problems and didn't behave properly in windows. SOOO.... I guess it is the video card.

2 - I put a 5770 video card in the new computer and everything worked just fine. Even the memory running XMP at 1600. I even stuck the 2nd set in for a total of 12Gig at 1600 and it runs just fine.

I feel much better. I will request an RMA from Gigabyte for the video card rather than the mother board. At least I can use the machine until they turn around the card.

I appreciate everyone's help.

Dave

Comment

Thats great - at least you have isolated the issue, thanks for the feedback on your findings.

As you can imagine, its not easy to diagnose PC problems without having hands on access to the PC or being able to isolate parts to test - there are so many variables involved. Still you took the right approach in isolating the issue and as much as these things are a nuisance, there are always things to learn.

The guys here were very good in offering ideas and support to problem solve my issue - which fortunately was fixed with a bios update (FE).

It is unfortunate that you had a problem with the video card, but I am sure that once it is replaced, you will really enjoy your new system - the X58A-UD3R is a great board and I am very happy with my new system.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by DaveH View Post
                        Thanks Lsdmeasap.

Well I spent 3 hours pulling the two machines apart and uninstalling the graphics drivers and swapping video cards.
                        1 - The GTX480 did NOT work in the old machine. It was having boot problems and didn't behave properly in windows. SOOO.... I guess it is the video card.

2 - I put a 5770 video card in the new computer and everything worked just fine. Even the memory running XMP at 1600. I even stuck the 2nd set in for a total of 12Gig at 1600 and it runs just fine.

I feel much better. I will request an RMA from Gigabyte for the video card rather than the mother board. At least I can use the machine until they turn around the card.

I appreciate everyone's help.

Dave
                        Anytime man!

Ya, sounds like the card is faulty for sure after hearing your testing efforts.

If you can still RMA with the place you bought the card that would be great, but if not don't worry Gigabyte RMA is fairly quick too (14-21 days normally).

Nice to see you got it all sorted out though!

Comment

Working...
                        X