Find the bent pin!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Find the bent pin!

Argg, My hands are too shaky =[. I'm going to try to put the camera on a solid surface and see if i can get better pictures.

I put up a few more pictures socket images

Check out todays*. Ive taken around 200 pictures now.

Will Gigabyte take in a bent pin board? From what I was reading on their page they dont typically. Although Ive read for some other people that they have.

Edit, Looks like I just needed more light? Or maybe not since it seems to erase the issues lol
    Last edited by ant; 10-19-2010, 12:44 AM.

Comment

on your last image if you look to the far right about mid way down about in between the 2nd and 3rd capacitor looks like there is a bent pin there. wait untill LSD looks but that looks like one to me.
      Main Rig
      Gigabyte z87x-OC
      Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
      G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
      Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
      Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
      HiS ATI HD 6950
      Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
      Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
      Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
      Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
      CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
      Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
      EK Supremacy Cpu Block
      Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
      Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Comment

here i circled it in red

I dont know how the image got rotated
        Last edited by Acebmxer; 10-19-2010, 12:53 AM.
        Main Rig
        Gigabyte z87x-OC
        G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
        HiS ATI HD 6950
        CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
        Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
        EK Supremacy Cpu Block

Comment

Hmm, okay I'll see if I can find it on the board. I uploaded a lot more pictures. Looks like I just needed way more light. Luckily I had a desk lamp that I could clamp on to my case. Really helped.

socket images
          Last edited by ant; 10-19-2010, 01:38 AM. Reason: added url

Comment

You guys must have internet balls of steal. It took me all month to download one of those images...

Comment

they should repair bent pins without charge,they fixed mine for free,your best email them and ask
              Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
              Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
              Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
              Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
              1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
              1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
              Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
              Razer Lycosa Keyboard
              Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
              Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
              K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
              L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
              Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
              Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
              http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
              Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Yes, normal policy is to deny RMA for bent pins, but with this socket I have seen MANY people get approved RMA's with bent pins, as they must know this also happens in manufacturing as well.

I've actually been sent a brand new board direct from the factory, that had bent pins. So it can happen for sure!

Some of these do not look that way, but the will probably honor a RMA for you. Since you are right there in CA, shipping to them, and them back to you, shouldn't take too long at all.

You could also call in and talk to someone about it all before starting the RMA if you wanted.

Here are the bent pins I see, and from these images the pins actually look broke (Top missing or bent over the wrong way). As for the other images, I do see 1-2 other possible bent pins, but these are plenty enough for you to go ahead and RMA.

No need for further images or messing with this really until you get a different board, put the socket cover on and start the RMA process via online or on the phone.

RMA online
                RMA

Contact them directly on the phone (Select USA)
                Contact Us - GIGABYTE

We could waste a few days trying settings to see if that would fix it, but I'm 99.9% sure it wont with that many pins possibly damaged.

Comment

I'll go ahead and give them a call. Geez, i guess next time i build a computer I really need to make sure the numbers add up.. Funny thing Is i never saw it say 6gigs when booting but I never thought much about it until i turned off the page file and ran out of memory. I'll go ahead and update this with any news in case anyone is still curious.

Thanks all for the help

Comment

Re: Find the bent pin! - Triple Channel Memory error - not reading all three sticks

I had the same problem with a GA-X58A-UD7. (Win7 said 6GB but only 4usable. BIOS would show 3 sticks (slots 1,3,5) but only slots 1,4 enabled for a total of 4GB of 6GB possible.)

I tried:
                    -Searching for the bent pin.
                    -Rotating my RAM till my eyes and fingers bled.

For me the answer was (I was lucky)
                    -I rebooted and chose the option "Load Fail-safe Defaults" then it rebooted and everything worked just fine.

I also verified with ZCPU that the RAM was now running in triple channel mode (which it did not before.)

So, yea, if anyone has similar issues the real answers are:
                    1. Broken pins.
                    2. Bad RAM
                    3. BIOS settings wrong (sometimes shipped that way, like my mobo)

Just had to post since i burned up a whole day of my weekend trying to fix this. Good luck to everyone out there with PC issues.

-Cab

Comment

I got a tracking number today... It doesn't sound like they did anything. Looks like they tested and are sending it back. I hope I'm mistaken or I'm going to be pretty sad lol

Comment

Re: Find the bent pin! - Triple Channel Memory error - not reading all three sticks

Originally posted by CabiusMAX View Post
                        I had the same problem with a GA-X58A-UD7. (Win7 said 6GB but only 4usable. BIOS would show 3 sticks (slots 1,3,5) but only slots 1,4 enabled for a total of 4GB of 6GB possible.)

I tried:
                        -Searching for the bent pin.
                        -Rotating my RAM till my eyes and fingers bled.

For me the answer was (I was lucky)
                        -I rebooted and chose the option "Load Fail-safe Defaults" then it rebooted and everything worked just fine.

I also verified with ZCPU that the RAM was now running in triple channel mode (which it did not before.)

So, yea, if anyone has similar issues the real answers are:
                        1. Broken pins.
                        2. Bad RAM
                        3. BIOS settings wrong (sometimes shipped that way, like my mobo)

Just had to post since i burned up a whole day of my weekend trying to fix this. Good luck to everyone out there with PC issues.

-Cab
                        That is weired that loading fail safe defaults worked for you. The correct option to choose load Optimized defualts.

One of the noticable things defferent in those setting are the cpu clock drive and pci express clock drive

Faile safe set these at 700/700
                        Optimized Defualts uses 800/900

There are other hidden settings in the background that are different. But the default values for those settings are supposed to be 800/900 and dont need to be changed even for extreme overclocking.
                        Main Rig
                        Gigabyte z87x-OC
                        HiS ATI HD 6950
                        CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
                        Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
                        EK Supremacy Cpu Block

Comment

Originally posted by ant View Post
                          I got a tracking number today... It doesn't sound like they did anything. Looks like they tested and are sending it back. I hope I'm mistaken or I'm going to be pretty sad lol
                          I am sure they either fixed the pins or are sending you a different board, they couldn't miss that.

@ CabiusMAX

Nice to see you got things going!

Normally even with a failed channel CPU-z and other programs will still show triple channel, the only real thing to trust is the total amount of memory shown in Taskmanager.

@ Acebmxr, maybe fail safe helped him because in default auto set his QPI/Vtt too high or something?

It does seem odd for sure, if I were him I'd be trying more starting with optimized and manual BIOS adjustments until things were going smoothly again.

Comment

I received the motherboard back today. (I got a tracking number last night, talk about fast :D)

I am happy to report that I am now using all 6GB of ram.

Thank you all for the help. Now to read up on overclocking since I have to go through the horrible process all over!

Many thanks everyone, especially LSD.

Comment

Hmm, is 50C @ stock speed considered too hot? Load is low.

Er you guys can ignore this, just noticed the heatsink fans were not connected. I thought it sounded too quiet. temps dropped to 35 when I plugged them in.
                              Last edited by ant; 11-03-2010, 12:34 AM.

Comment

did they charge you for the repair? i know asus flat refuse for bent pins
                                Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
                                Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
                                Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
                                Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
                                1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
                                1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
                                Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
                                Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                                Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
                                Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
                                K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
                                L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
                                Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
                                Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
                                http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
                                Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X