Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer doesn't recognize the new RAM i installed

Hello to all.
    I'm new here, and english is not my first language so please bear with me :)

So i have an old pc which has only 512mb or ram and i wanted to upgrade his Ram memory to 1024 (by adding another stick of 512mb)
    Here's the specifications of my motherboard:

Gigabyte GA-K8NS
    Bus Type AMD Hammer
    Real Clock 200 MHz
    Effective Clock 200 MHz

Memory Bus Properties
    Bus Type DDR SDRAM
    Bus Width 64-bit
    Real Clock 200 MHz (DDR)
    Effective Clock 400 MHz
    Bandwidth 3200 MB/s

Motherboard Physical Info
    CPU Sockets/Slots 1 Socket 754
    Expansion Slots 5 PCI, 1 AGP
    RAM Slots 3 DDR DIMM

the old stick is:
    Memory DRAM
    Description: ADBGB1916, 512, 64MX64, 4B/SSTL2, 8K/64ms, 184, (32MX8)*16
    Company: A-Data Technology

and the new one i have bought is:
    Kingston KVR400X64C3A/512 DDR, 512MB, 400MHz PC 3200 64bit

now after installing the two, the pc only recognizes one of them or non of them, when i checked them separately every one worked fine, but when together only one of them works but either way the pc wont start up and will stay stuck at the first black screen at the start when it counts the cpu memory drives etc..

please help me to solve this problem, any suggestions will be great.
    Thanks in advance.

Re: Computer doesn't recognize the new RAM i installed

Kingston KVR400X64C3A has Voltage 2.6V. The default setting in BIOS is 2.5V. Increase by .1V in BIOS

DDR voltage control
    Normal Supply DDR voltage as DDR required. (Default value)
    +0.1V Increase DDR voltage +0.1V.

There is no guarantee that mixing different memory modules will work together.

Comment

Hello Reggie, thanks for your reply.

The pc now works with the newer memory stick, the Kingston KVR400X64C3A, the pc functions and boots normally with it, it's only a problem when i put the two together the Kingston and the A-data memory sticks..

maybe i should change the voltage for the older one ? the A-data memory stick ?

p.s
      when i put the two together i can't even go to the BIOS menu the boot screen freezes right after it "lists" the cpu name and starts the count of the Ram memory (the running numbers -512mb)

any suggestions ?

Comment

You can try booting with just one stick installed adjust the voltage necessary then try installing the other stick. unless your bios allows you to set voltage per memory slot you set one voltage. That voltage will be set to any slot with a memory module in stalled.

Like said above there is no guarantee that mixing different memory modules will work together.

Try returning the one you bought and get a match set of memory modules and make sure they are one supported by your board/bios. Make sure you using the latest bios version.
        Main Rig
        Gigabyte z87x-OC
        Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
        G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
        Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
        Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
        HiS ATI HD 6950
        Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
        Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
        Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
        Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
        CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
        Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
        EK Supremacy Cpu Block
        Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
        Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Comment

Thanks for your reply, Acebmxer.

I will try the voltage method as suggested, can you please guide me on how to do this ?
          -how to change the parameters and the voltage

if i change it (say to 2.6v) can it be reversed after that is some problem occurs ?

Comment

This may be due to density. You can't mix high density and low density memory without issues, often you have issues mixing any memory but this for sure will always cause issues. Although I am not sure which your old kit is, because you have two densities listed (64Mx64 and 32Mx8)

How many chips on each side of the old stick? The new Kingston one is High Density 64Mx64 from what I see in the Spec PDF, which should be 8 IC chips on each side of the memory.

Some boards do not even support high density memory, which yours does because it works with one stick by itself. The correct amount is shown when using the new stick by itself correct?

You will either need to buy another matching new stick, or find a matching one for your old stick, if they indeed are different densities.

Comment

Hello Lsdmeasap.

I checked the sticks and you are right the new one have chips on one side only and the old one (A-data) have chips on two sides !

so i guess this is the problem ?
              the only solution is to buy the same Kingston memory chip then ?

Comment

Does the new memory show the correct amount of ram when you install it only? You need to check that to be sure it's fully supported, then yes if it is you would need a second stick of that same model.

Comment

Yes, the new memory show the correct amount of ram - 512MB DDR
                  I checked with CPUID also, same there..

So i guess i'll need to buy another mach memory stick then ? (same Kingston stick)

Comment

Yeap, sounds like that would be the best thing to do if you plan to continue using this old PC :)

Comment

Well, i guess that's that then.. i'll buy another kingston stick of 1GB + the one i already have 512MB i'll have 1.5GB of ram.

Thanks very much to everyone !
                      Have a Great day ! :)

Comment

Good luck, maybe stick to 512MB sticks. That way you are not mixing memory, and or possibly make a density mistake again.

Comment

Looks like your getting the same advice on this Forum as the other one. And we all know it nice to get as much advice as possible before spending any money. I still thind the Kingston will most likely be the easiest to match. Go to your favorite bestbuy or here at ebay for only $20. Or find a matching pair of 1 GB sticks so he can play his batman lego games and stuff with 2GB's. Course that'll cost you bout $100 bucks but your kid brother might start liking you again LOL.(never gets old)

Comment

Ok will do

Thanks very much to everyone !
                            Have a Great day !

Comment

Let us know how things work out for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X