ga-x58a-ud5 disappearing mouse, intel RST issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ga-x58a-ud5 disappearing mouse, intel RST issues

Rather than two separate threads I'd like to just ask both here since they both started happening not too long ago.

As an intro I'll say that I realized that after my last two bios updates I had the settings wrong and I had been running my ram erroneously and recently solved that. ( in case this might be pertinent to my issues)

GA-X58A-UD5 F6kbios (which finally solved my missing ram)
    Razer copperhead mouse usb plugged into regular usb 2.0 port (not the multi 3.0 ports)
    dual 74 gig wd raptor drives in RAID - 0
    Windows 7 64bit Pro

When I boot lately my mouse sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. Sometimes i can click a button and the lights come on and then it comes alive and sometimes I have to dis/reconnect it for it to come alive. This is a recent event but I'm not sure if it's related to the last few beta bios' I've installed. USB mouse support in bios disabled and I'm currently experimenting with enabled.

Also, When I boot the Intel Rapid Storage Technology (RST) doesn't load for quite some time now.
    It used to load instantly when I booted. Now for at least 3 minutes there is an icon that says: Intel Rapid Storage Technology service failed to load

If i manually start the program it works.
    it's the most current version of RST 9.6.0.1014 or w/e the newest is.

A few weeks ago I had a BSOD (probably because of the poor ram setting) that said something in reference to IASTOR.SYS . So I updated RST, got the most recent drivers from intel. Haven't had a bsod since but I've had this service issue. I think it's pre-cursor of things to come.

Re: ga-x58a-ud5 disappearing mouse, intel RST issues

Hi NGL_BrSH,

Go into the BIOS and under Integrated Peripherals, make sure USB keyboard and USB mouse are "Enabled", also check that USB 1 and USB 2 are also "Enabled" as well.

And I would suggest you double check ALL your settings seeing that you recently discovered that your RAM settings were wrong after a BIOS update. Never know what else you might find out of whack. And don't forget to load optimized setup in the BIOS after a BIOS update.

Originally posted by NGL_BrSH View Post
    As an intro I'll say that I realized that after my last two bios updates I had the settings wrong and I had been running my ram erroneously and recently solved that. ( in case this might be pertinent to my issues)
    Incidentally I never had a missing RAM issue with my board, I have the same one as you, and I'm still using BIOS version F5.

Good luck.
    - My System Specs -
    GA-X58A-UD5 MB (F6 bios)
    Core i7-950 @ 3.8GHz Processor
    Noctua NH-C12P SE14 CPU Cooler
    6 gig Corsair Dominator - TR3X6G1600C8D
    ATI Radeon HD6950 2Gig Video Card
    Creative X-Fi Titanium Pro Souncard
    Antec Signature SG-850 PS
    Cooler Master HAF X
    Win7 Ult x64

Comment

What he said :)

As for the RST program, you don't need this running at startup anyway, so if you like I can show you how to remove it from startup. Let me know

Comment

Thanks for the info. I have now left USB bios enabled.

I ran SFC and found that a lot of my system files are corrupt and unrecoverable. I chock this up to disk write-back cache enabled and the power failure i had the other night. It was a tough way to find out it's time to change the UPS battery.

I don't know if that is messing up my mouse and RST but reformat here i come!

Comment

It very well could have been due to those messed up files, good luck with the clean install.

Comment

Originally posted by NGL_BrSH View Post
            I ran SFC and found that a lot of my system files are corrupt and unrecoverable. I chock this up to disk write-back cache enabled and the power failure i had the other night.
            If you're talking about these settings....

You need to make sure you have a UPS connected to the computer in case of a power outage such as you had to avoid the issue you experienced. In fact, there's a warning in those settinsg.

To prevent data loss, do not select this check box unless the has a seperate power supply that allows the device to flush its buffer in case of power failure

This basically means a UPS as they are designed to gracefully shut the system down.

BTW I'm sorry to hear you lost your data.

Oh... happy to hear the BIOS settings got you USB issues settled.

Peace.
            Attached Files
            - My System Specs -
            GA-X58A-UD5 MB (F6 bios)
            Cooler Master HAF X
            Win7 Ult x64

Comment

yup.. well the latest RST still has issues.. but i reverted to teh older one hosted at gigabytes website and it doesn't have issues.

The most disappointing is the mouse still isn't getting detected on boot. I have to unplug/plug it back in for it to work. getting irritated.

Yes, I have an UPS however I found out the hard way that the battery was pretty much toast. I was playing L4D2 and I was probably chewing up some serious watts.. I looked outside to marvel in the transformer fireworks show.. and poof.. comp down.

I think I recall someone complaining about the new bios' for my board messing with their mouse. I'll have to research more.

Comment

Well I'm still on the F5 BIOS and have no issues. Anytime you deal with beta programs you have a high probability of instability; it's beta for a reason. Personally I would just go back to F5 and see if your mouse issues go away.

Anyway here's something else to check....

Go into device manager and under both keyboard and mouse, under the Power Management tab check that Allow this device to wake the computer check box is checked.

Good luck.
                Attached Files
                - My System Specs -
                GA-X58A-UD5 MB (F6 bios)
                Cooler Master HAF X
                Win7 Ult x64

Comment

wake up was correctly set.

I disabled USB 3.0 for giggles in the bios.. and low and behold my mouse functions fine again. soo.. bye bye usb 3.0.. won't miss you. for now :D

Comment

That's odd, I have mine enabled and never had an issue. BTW you might want to consider what I said about the beta BIOS.

At any rate whatever works :)

Peace
                    - My System Specs -
                    GA-X58A-UD5 MB (F6 bios)
                    Cooler Master HAF X
                    Win7 Ult x64

Comment

Yeah.. I had been keeping up with the beta bios' to hopefully alleviate my dissappearing 3rd channel of ram at cold boot issue.. which it seems they are on the verge of fixing. But perhaps i'll go back a few bios and just be happy for a bit.

Comment

Did you have Legacy USB Enabled in the BIOS for your mouse?

Comment

as an update, both usb 3.0 on/off, both usb legacy enabled or disabled all have the same symptoms. Doesn't matter. I haven't gotten around to going backwards a bit in bios. I think I recall this happening a while back on some beta bios but didn't troubleshoot because at that time I rarely shut down the computer.

Comment

Working...
                          X