Questions before I flash the BIOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions before I flash the BIOS

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    I have downloaded the correct, FE, BIOS update, unzipped it and copied the files P45UD3P2.FE, autoexec.bat and FLASHSPI.EXE to an otherwise blank USB key.
    <o:p></o:p>
    I have started the Qflash utility and have gone as far as the point where I find a choice named FLASHSPI.EXE and it looks like if I just highlight and click enter on this choice, well I guess the BIOS flash will proceed from there without any further action from me until it gets to the point where I have to reboot back into the BIOS. Or perhaps this too happens automatically as part of the BIOS flash? At which point I understand I will need to select Load Optimized Defaults, and all that other good stuff it mentions in the first post of the BIOS Flashing Guide.
    Actually it all seems pretty simple as long as one follows the guide, well except for the previously mentioned couple of things I want to make sure of before I start.
    First, at the end of the BIOS flashing process, does the system automatically reboot into BIOS, or do I need to be watching and be prepared to hit <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:State><st1:place>Del</st1:place></st1:State> to get into BIOS before Windows starts to load?
    Second, on my USB key, should I have the files autoexec.bat and FLASHSPI.EXE, should I NOT have those files there, or does it not really matter? If they should not be there, or if it does not matter, then why are those files there in the first place, i.e. what is their purpose?
    Oh, one other thing. What does he mean by keep DMI Data disabled, as in the instruction:
    1. Flash your BIOS using Qflash (Keep DMI Data Disabled)
    I can find nothing regarding DMI or DMI Data in my BIOS, nor can I find anything about it in the forum or anywhere else,

Thanks in advance.
    My system:
    MOBO: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P (Rev. 1.6) BIOS version: FB
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
    Memory: 2X 2GB Mushkin Enhanced Blackline PC2 6400, 4-4-4-12
    GPU: BFG GeForce 8800GT OC, 512MB GDDR3
    HDs: 2 Samsung Spinpoint F3, 1TB in RAID 0
    Power Supply: Ultra Xfinity 500 watt ATX
    O/S: Windows 7 Ultimate 64

Re: Questions before I flash the BIOS

Please read and follow the directions LSD has posted in this post here before flashing.

bios-flashing-how-qflash-guide
    Main Rig
    Gigabyte z87x-OC
    Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
    G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
    Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
    Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
    HiS ATI HD 6950
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
    Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
    Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
    Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
    Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
    EK Supremacy Cpu Block
    Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
    Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Comment

when you flash with q-flash before it flashes it will show the keep dmi pool data box with a tick in it,just un tick it before you flash so that it clears it and rebuilds it on re boot,for flashing you only need the bin bios file on a fat32 formatted usb stick nothing else is needed
      Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
      Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
      Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
      Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
      1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
      1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
      Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
      Razer Lycosa Keyboard
      Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
      Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
      K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
      L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
      Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
      Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
      http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
      Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Well I went ahead and attempted the flash and it appears to have gone well.
        <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
        One item of note. At no time during the process did I ever come across anything that mentioned anything about DMI Data or DMI Pool Data and I wonder if I should be concerned about this.
        when you flash with q-flash before it flashes it will show the keep dmi pool data box with a tick in it,just un tick it before you flash so that it clears it and rebuilds it on re boot<o:p></o:p>
        <o:p> </o:p>
        As I said in the previous post, I was unable to find any information when I searched for DMI data or DMI, but after I saw your use of the term DMI pool data, I tried another search using that exact term. Then I did find some information and DMI pool data sounds kind of important. Since I did not see anything during my flashing process about Keep DMI pool data, or anything like that, I did not get the chance to untick such a box. Therefore I have no way of knowing if my DMI pool data got cleared and rebuilt. I can only guess that if this does not happen it is not a good thing?<o:p></o:p>
        Please read and follow the directions LSD has posted in this post here before flashing.<o:p></o:p>
        <o:p> </o:p>
        Well, as it turns out, I did read the first page of the BIOS Flashing Guide, I even referenced it and quoted from it in my previous post. I did not really want to read the whole 33 pages of subsequent posts and I did not think I would really need to. Perhaps I should read the whole thing however. Perhaps it would answer some or the remaining questions I still have.<o:p></o:p>
        In the mean time, thanks to all who have helped and if anyone has any thoughts regarding the DMI pool data issue I would sure like to hear them.<o:p></o:p>
        My system:

Comment

you should have seen option for keep dmi pool data before you flashed,but its not essential,as long as things are working fine now that youve flashed
          Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
          Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
          Razer Lycosa Keyboard
          Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

Comment

you should have seen option for keep dmi pool data before you flashed
            should
            My only defense, and this is not much of one is it is a different color, somewhat darker than some of the entries below it. I took that to mean that, like in windows menus, it was grayed out and could not be selected, so I did not carefully read what it said. Unfortunately, to the extent this is any excuse at all, it is nullified by the fact that the very first picture in the BIOS Flashing Guide shows this very thing. Also the second picture for that matter. Unfortunately (another cheap excuse coming) I did not really pay the pictures any attention. I just read the text.

Should I reflash the BIOS with the correct settings?
            Is it even possible to reflash the BIOS with the same BIOS that is already installed?
            I am going to be reinstalling Windows tonight, because I planned to do that anyway, but I am anxious to hear if I may have created a problem for myself here!
            My system:

Comment

you can re-flash with the same bios if you want it wont hurt anything,and untick keep dmi pool data this time

heres what i found explaining what dmi pool data is

DMI or DesktopManagement Interface is a layer of abstraction between system
              components and the software that manages them. The System Management BIOS (SMBIOS) is an
              extension of the Basic Input Output System (BIOS) that formulates and delivers this
              information to the operating system. The pool data is the information. In short, when the
              BIOS is "Verifying DMI pool data" it is verifying the table of data it sends to the
              operating system (Windows, etc.). If it isn't sucessful, it should return an error.
              Wait a reasonable period of time for it to finish. It may make take some time or it may be
              stuck
              Last edited by wazza300; 07-25-2010, 05:29 AM.
              Razer Lycosa Keyboard
              Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

Nice to see you had no issues and everything went smoothly during the update!

Comment

For a while today I was getting some strange indications, but now everything appears to be smooth sailing.

When the time comes I will just start a new thread on that subject but in the mean time I hope to drop in from time to time and just poke around the forum seeing what other good stuff I can find!
                  My system:

Comment

Working...
                  X