Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Freak issue with my EP45-UD3P board--restarts on any OS DVD boot (Windows 7, Ubuntu)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Freak issue with my EP45-UD3P board--restarts on any OS DVD boot (Windows 7, Ubun

Random like that sounds like settings, are you sure they are stable?

How did your shorting tests go? If you think there might be a short, try running it on a cardboard box or wooden table, then if it never restarts you will know for sure.

I'd also test with the Intel stock cooler, in case your cooler or it's mount is causing a short.

Comment

Re: Freak issue with my EP45-UD3P board--restarts on any OS DVD boot (Windows 7, Ubun

Well, it's been a few months but there's good news. Sort of. So I shipped Gigabyte their board back thinking it was the motherboard and they shipped the same motherboard back and it was having the same problem. I got my hands on a 800 W OCZ power supply and guess what, the freaking 6 month old PSU was causing the reboots. It was an Ultra X3 (haven't ever had problems with Ultra products in the past) and it had a lifetime warranty so I sent it back via the swap method and got my computer up and running in a week. This is the first time I've ever had a PSU cause a rig to randomly reboot. For all of you who are dead set on thinking this stuff is exclusively caused by motherboard/CPU issues, this is a warning. If I would have figured this out it would have saved me months of frustration. All the IT guys I talked to/worked with had never seen this before.

Anyway, it is now working in a Corsair 800D case with the cpu overclocked to 3.20 GHz running 31-35 degrees Celsius. I am looking at EasyTune6 and it's making me think the system temp is too hot (running at 43C). Is that too hot? I have 5 fans running right now and they are all working together to distribute heat. It doesn't even feel hot inside the case. I was just curious if this is something to worry about or not.

*It should be noted that overclocking the CPU does not change the system temp in my PC at all, period. It pretty much floats around 41-43C at all times. My CPU without overclock runs about 27-30C.
      Last edited by montag; 10-15-2010, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Nice to hear you are getting somewhere with this.

I use and recommend Ultra X3's myself and have never had any issues. So sounds like something was bad in it, luckily though as you mentioned they have lifetime warranty!

So did you get a new X3 yet? Don't let them give you an X4, I hear they suck.

43C sounds ok for system temp. How much MCH Voltage are you using?

I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Comment

I honestly don't recall, but I think it is whatever Autotune assigned it to on the lowest overclock setting. I will try to remember to check later. Right now, this is the speediest machine I have used and I am super happy with the build. Best tower I've ever had. The dual monitors and OS X/Windows 7 dual boot makes it even better. I have a BFG 9600 GT I'm borrowing from my friend but I think it does the trick. Maybe later I'll upgrade when I get some decent games. I also really like OCZ's agility SSDs and the 2TB and 1TB drives I bought for $90 and $50.

Thanks for your help Lsdmeasap and others, I really appreciate it.

Comment

Great to hear you are liking the system much better now!!

Sounds like you've made some nice hard drive scores lately :)

No problem, we're always here to help!

Comment

Working...
            X