Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Freak issue with my EP45-UD3P board--restarts on any OS DVD boot (Windows 7, Ubuntu)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freak issue with my EP45-UD3P board--restarts on any OS DVD boot (Windows 7, Ubuntu)

This is an advanced issue. I work in IT so I'm not a novice but I have no idea about overclocking/ram timing.

I cannot boot a lot of OS installation discs/live cds. This is what I've tried so far:

Ubuntu Live version 5.0(32 bit)-10.04(64 bit)
    Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit or 64 bit.
    Daurik's boot and nuke

What it does at some point while loading the installation is it restarts. It doesn't matter if I have a hard drive plugged in or not (I shouldn't need one to boot an Ubuntu Live CD). With Ubuntu it restarts while trying to load, and with Windows it restarts after I pick my language and click next. I have tried a different CPU, clearing the CMOS, taking out the CMOS battery, different video card, different DVD drives (IDE and SATA), and different sticks/types of RAM. No matter what I do, it always restarts where I say. I have tried loading optimized defaults and loading failsafe defaults. I feel like it might be a RAM timing issue.

Interestingly enough I installed a Hackintosh version of OS X snow leopard with these parts and it seems to boot fine without restarting ever. Didn't have issues with the install, but it was installed from a USB drive. I can still boot into it without issues when I load the correct bios settings. I don't know why it can boot this and not Windows or Linux.

I'm out of ideas. This is going to require either a replacement or help from someone high up most likely. Maybe it's a RAM timing issue? Maybe I need to reflash the bios, but how can I do that without a Windows installation?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Model Name : GA-EP45-UD3P(rev. 1.6)
    --------------------------
    M/B Rev : 1.6
    BIOS Ver : FE
    Serial No. : 100xxxxxxxx
    Purchase Dealer :
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    VGA Brand : Nvidia Model : some dell one
    CPU Brand : Intel Model : Q9450 Speed : 2.66
    Operation System : Windows 7 and Linux and Mac OS X SP :
    Memory Brand : Corsair Type : DDRII
    Memory Size : 1x4 GB Speed : 800MHz
    Power Supply : 1000 W

I have a Sata HD & DVDRW.

Could a crappy bios flash do this or is it timing issues? I'm not the first owner of this board, so maybe they screwed it up but I don't see how a cmos reset wouldn't fix that. Thanks guys, this forum looks like my best bet. I'm not some noob who isn't willing to give this a shot.

Re: Freak issue with my EP45-UD3P board--restarts on any OS DVD boot (Windows 7, Ubun

I took most of this info from a Gigabyte support message I sent them, so I appologize for redundancy. Also when I get this fixed I have an H50 watercooling Corsair kit and I'd like to overclock my machine to like 4GHz if possible, it's running at 30C :) so I'll need help with that but I need everything stable first.

Comment

Re: Freak issue with my EP45-UD3P board--restarts on any OS DVD boot (Windows 7, Ubun

cant you update bios and clear dmi pool data from within the bios using q-flash and a bios file on a usb stick?? press end to bring up q-flash at the gigabyte splash screen,try disabling all floppy drives aswell from boot order and the bios itself like drive A makesure you disable it
      Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
      Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
      Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
      Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
      1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
      1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
      Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
      Razer Lycosa Keyboard
      Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
      Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
      K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
      L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
      Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
      Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
      http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
      Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by wazza300 View Post
        cant you update bios and clear dmi pool data from within the bios using q-flash and a bios file on a usb stick?? press end to bring up q-flash at the gigabyte splash screen,try disabling all floppy drives aswell from boot order and the bios itself like drive A makesure you disable it
        By clear DMI pool data you mean choose the Disable option on the line

Keep DMI Data

when in Qflash?

Also my bios package is in an exe file. So to flash it I need to turn my usb drive into a boot disk like a floppy? How would I do that? Right now it's not seeing the EXE file, just the parent directory. The USB drive is formatted FAT16.

All floppy drives have been disabled in bios, removed from boot order, and unplugged.
        Last edited by montag; 07-08-2010, 06:47 PM.

Comment

when you download the bios file open it with winrar and drag the .bin file to the usb stick,all the programs to make the stick bootable are in this guide if you scroll down,and yes i think you untick the keep dmi pool data so that it clears it after the flash....you might not need to make the usb stick bootable and all you need is the bin file on it

Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
          Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
          Razer Lycosa Keyboard
          Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

Comment

Originally posted by wazza300 View Post
            when you download the bios file open it with winrar and drag the .bin file to the usb stick,all the programs to make the stick bootable are in this guide if you scroll down,and yes i think you untick the keep dmi pool data so that it clears it after the flash....you might not need to make the usb stick bootable and all you need is the bin file on it

http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/
            Did exactly as you said, successfully flashed the bios with version FE and with DMI Data disabled and it still restarts on Ubuntu and on a Windows disc. Couldn't be a PSU issue could it?
            Last edited by montag; 07-08-2010, 07:34 PM.

Comment

did you disable drive A and floppy drives from the boot order?? it could also be not enough ram voltage or northbridge voltage
              Razer Lycosa Keyboard
              Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

Yeah I did that.

Comment

Can you please give me your current full BIOS settings in a template from my signature, and a link to your exact memory.

Also, what ports (Color and #) do you have the Hard drive and CD connected to?

And what settings are you using per these in integrated Peripherals section of the BIOS

Integrated Peripherals

Intel Controller (Yellow Ports)
                  SATA RAID/AHCI Mode (Intel ICH10R Southbridge) .............
                  SATA Port0-3 Native Mode ...................................

Gigabyte/J.Micron Controller (Purple Ports)
                  Onboard SATA/IDE Device (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) .............
                  Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) ...........

Have you ran Memtest86+ on this memory
                  Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

If not please do one stick at a time, for 3-4 passes each

Comment

CPU = Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450
                    Motherboard GA-EP45-UD3P
                    BIOS Version = Main: FE / Backup: FD
                    Ram = 4x Corsair,CM2X1024-6400C4 Link: Welcome to Corsair :: XMS2 Product Information

Comment

Also, it shouldn't matter that I haven't ran a ramtest because I've tried different RAM (Patriot) of the same speed (PC20-6400) with the same results but if you need me to I can run a ramtest, something tells me it's not going to be able to boot the kernel though.

It should be noted also that it seems the Windows 7 install reboots sometimes after I click next, sometime after it starts copying files, and sometimes when expanding files. However, it always restarts.
                      Last edited by montag; 07-09-2010, 04:31 PM.

Comment

For 4GB you need tRFC set to at least 52 or so, and you need to set your ram voltage manually and set MCH to 1.2-1.24 too.

You should also move your drives as you have them in the wrong ports, this may be a large part of the issue but I would still set the things mentioned above first/

Put your OS Hard drive into SATAII_0 and your CD/DVD Drive into SATAII_4 or 5

Comment

By set MCH to 1.2-1.24 you mean change the MHC core and that's it, not the other mch values? Right now it's at 1.10, I can change it to 1.22. I changed the other thing to 52 and moved the sata cables.

Comment

Ya, MCH Core voltage to 1.2-1.24 for 4GB of memory

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                              Ya, MCH Core voltage to 1.2-1.24 for 4GB of memory
                              Didn't work. Still restarts.

I have some Ultra high performance fans (2) that I bought, one for the watercooling radiator. Do you think maybe the fan is causing the thing to short out? Idk, it's not like they're incredible.

It has no system fan1. I don't have any room in my case. I was thinking maybe it is shutting down because it thinks a fan is failing, but wouldn't that be more random? Like it would restart in bios (which it hasn't yet and I've left it on for a while). Possible? Any other ideas?

Also check your PMs.

It should be noted also that I didn't have trouble with any of these parts in a different board so I don't think it's any of my parts. (RAM, CPU, PSU, etc).
                              Last edited by montag; 07-10-2010, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X