Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motherboard questions

I have a GA-EP45T-UD3P mainboard
    I'll be installing Win 7 onto an Intel X25-M SSD,will I need to install the AHCI drivers off the Intel utility DVD along with Intels RST 9.6 Trim driver during the O.S install process.Or can anyone tell me if the trim drivers are self installing and to be applied after the O.S. install?
    Also I'll be using my standard drive for 3rd party applications in a non raid array,what settings should I change?Is this something that is edited in the registry?
    Last edited by infocus; 06-23-2010, 06:13 PM.

Re: Motherboard questions

If you want trim you will need to either Not install any drivers during install, or install the RST drivers only and I suggest you download the latest one here and not use any (ANY Drivers) off the cd as they are probably old
    http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Sear...ntel%C2%AE+RST)

You want the Floppy Pre-install drivers

Non RAID standard drive, do you have others you plan to put in an array?

I will tell you where to connect all your drives and how to setup the BIOS, but I need to know for sure what all drives you have and since you mentioned a NON RAID drive if you also plan to use RAID as well or not.

Comment

I'll be using my WD 640gb blue for 3rd party applications.So, I'll have O.S. on the SSD.Just the two drives is all I need.
      This will be the first time I've used more than one hard drive,so I need help setting this up without running into a problem.
      I do have Gigabyte's latest drivers,downloaded last week!!
      I'll use an external floppy to load the 9.6 Trim drivers.

Comment

Ahh ok, put SSD into the Yellow Intel ports SATA2_0, and then your 640GB into SATA2_1. Then put your CD/DVD drive into SATA2_4 or 5

You can load the drivers off a USB Stick if you want, not sure if a external floppy would work or not (I know it does not for XP, but it might with win7?)

Set these BIOS settings

Integrated Peripherals

Intel Controller (Yellow Ports)
        SATA RAID/AHCI Mode (Intel ICH10R Southbridge) ............. AHCI
        SATA Port0-3 Native Mode ................................... Enabled (or Disabled, both will work)

Gigabyte/J.Micron Controller (Purple Ports) << These can be disabled if you liike, and if you are not using anything on these ports or an IDE ribbon cable you might as well disable them
        Onboard SATA/IDE Device (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) ............. Enabled
        Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) ...........

Then reboot and come back to the BIOS and go into Advanced BIOS page and then into Hard Drive Boot Priority at the top and move your SSD to the top of this list.

Comment

Both CD/DVD drives are IDE (ribbon cable).
          The external floppy worked perfect when I loaded AHCI drivers for Vista so I'll stick with that!
          Can you explain how to set up the standard drive to except 3rd party apps?And how to transfer the Documents folder to that drive??Also after win 7 installs what drivers from Gigabyte should be installed besides audio(Intel INF etc.)??
          Thanks for all your help....

Comment

Ok, then set the following for IDE settings

Gigabyte/J.Micron Controller (Purple Ports)
            Onboard SATA/IDE Device (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) ............. Enabled
            Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) ........... IDE

I am not sure what you mean for the standard drive to accept third party apps, please explain further.

Here is how to move the documents folder in vista
            Vista Support: 72. Move Documents Folder to Another Location

Only install drivers you need, and always download the latest ones direct from Gigabyte or the source. You only need LAN, Audio, And Chipset drivers

Comment

Some programs autoload onto drive C: ,(no browse button) ..I want to avoid them installing onto the SSD...

Comment

Ahh, not sure how you can get around that, it may not be possible

Comment

When installing Apps or games and you don't want them on your SSD drive which would be ( C: ) During the installation you have to either choose a custom install or advanced install.... something other then a stander install or installing with out making any choices. There will be some things that HAVE to be installed on the OS drive ie drive C:.... like acrobat reader and java and stuff there nothing you can do about that. Also some games and apps even though you tell it to install on another drive it will still install some files to the c: drive and there's nothing you can do about that. I hope this is what you were asking.
                  Main Rig
                  Gigabyte z87x-OC
                  Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
                  G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
                  Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
                  Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
                  HiS ATI HD 6950
                  Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
                  Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
                  Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
                  Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
                  CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
                  Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
                  EK Supremacy Cpu Block
                  Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
                  Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Comment

Thanks to both of you!
                    I'll do the install next week.........

Comment