Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible to use full 4GB with GA-H55M-UD2H?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible to use full 4GB with GA-H55M-UD2H?

I installed Server 2008 R2 x64 on this MB (F8 BIOS, i3-530), and am using integrated graphics. I see the semi-expected "3.75GB usable" figure in Windows, due to 256MB being given to graphics, but is there a way around this, through either a Windows or BIOS setting? I thought a "shared memory" setting in the BIOS might do it, but I haven't found it yet.

Re: Possible to use full 4GB with GA-H55M-UD2H?

Expected 3.75GB? Why do you say that?

Shouldn't you expect the full 4GB with a x64 OS, sorry just wondering as I have no experience with that OS, but I do think you should see all 4GB since you are on x64

Does taskmamager show total memory amount 4096? Post a image if you are unsure

Comment

TM shows 3835MB, the equivalent.

Win7 and Server 2008R2 are based on the same codebase, so for this subject anyway, I'm guessing they'd behave identically.

I didn't think the fact that you were running x64 frees you from the address space below 4GB that video memory consumes. I think there might be an Advanced Chipset Feature called DVMT that has a hand in this, but I can't check the BIOS at the moment to see.

Comment

Show me taskmanager please.

Ya, I thought so too about the OS, so you should see 4GB no matter what, this is why I want to see taskmanager, you may have a failing memory channel caused by incorrect QPI/Vtt and Vdimm voltages, faulty memory kit, or bent CPU Socket pins.

When you are in the BIOS, do you see - or NA for any of the channels main timings, if so one of the above is causing a channel to fail.

Yes, with x64 your GFX card does not matter, you will see full 4GB available

Comment

That's really surprising to hear, since this is commonly reported across the Internet, so I expected that it was perfectly normal--but was looking for a way around it. I won't be able to get into the BIOS for a while, but this last pic should help (the first two don't say anything new, so I didn't include them before). I haven't touched the BIOS yet beyond updating it and loading optimized defaults.

Imageshack - memd.png
          Imageshack - mem2.png
          Imageshack - mem3.png

Comment

Na, that only happens with 32 bit OS, with x64 you always get the full amount.

See here is mine with 6GB

Check one stick at a time by itself and see if they all work properly (And show as 1GB in the OS) because that is not right, looks like a 32bit OS should, or maybe a partially faulty module?

Comment

I'll try, but there are multiple variables involved with this, beyond having a x64 OS, which I think explains why not everyone sees this but many do. Do you know what the Gigabyte equivalent of "memory remapping" is called and where it might be found?
              The system memory that is reported in the System Information dialog box in Windows Vista is less than you expect if 4 GB of RAM is installed

Comment

This option is not in Gigabyte BIOSes, and is not needed

You have another issue, probably one of the above that I mentioned. You need to check the MAIN timings in the BIOS for each channel and see if you see - or NA, then if not check each stick one by one, then if they all report 1GB you will need to remove your CPU and look for bent pins.

Comment

I'm going to do that when I'm in the same building as the PC, but for now I'm just trying to understand how it's likely to be faulty memory or bent pins on a CPU when this problem is reported all over the place--with x64 OSs, particularly with those using integrated video.

Comment

I have only seen this on boards that DO offer remap (Because those need it), or ones with issues as mentioned above.

Never have I seen it otherwise on a Gigabyte board, you are just reading situations that do not apply to these boards is why you are seeing it

Comment

I found this in Resource Monitor on the Performance tab of Task Manager. Would you expect to see it specifically being called out as Hardware Reserved?

Comment

Incidentally, I used the techniques in this article to reveal what's consuming the 261MB. How did I get so lucky that this has apparently never been encountered on a Gigabyte board before? It sure feels like I need a memory remapping setting.

Comment

That is very odd! This must be something new with H55 because of the integrated graphics?

Have you asked them directly about this, maybe they will add in the setting in the next BIOS or so?

Also, you can check to see if the setting is there already, which it is probably not if they are not aware of the issue.

Check this by pressing Control + F1 on the MAIN page of the BIOS, then look through each page for new hidden settings and see if you find the remap setting anywhere.

Comment

I'm definitely going to check that out too when I get back to the machine, which is unfortunately in a different location than me. I did find this thread, with at least a couple people who are seeing the same reserved memory situation that I am with the same board, though with a twist: they're using a dedicated video card, and the memory reserve is only half as much. I'd be really ticked if it was doing that when I wasn't even using IGP! I'll try to contact Gigabyte after I can see which settings are available. Someone in the thread did (it's apparently quite a feat getting them to respond), and the answer seems to have been "normal functionality for the board," but that doesn't quite cut it.
                            ***Gigabyte H55/H57 motherboard discussion*** - Overclockers UK Forums

Comment

They respond within 2-3 days normally, don't listen to that user! Of course sometimes it may take longer if they are very busy, but that is not the norm.

I will ask myself about this for you, and see what I can find out about it and or if they will/can add the memory remap setting.

Did you look in the BIOS yet with the hotkey I mentioned?

It may be normal, if so there may not be anything they can do, I mean if it is normal because of how the chipset is made.

I will ask and see what I can find out for you, I'll let you know

Comment

Working...
                              X