Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: S3(STR) Sleep Wakeup problem with GA-X58A-UD7

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Nice to hear this is solved for you now!!

Hi and sorry to necro this old thread, but I just ran into the same S3 resume issue on a Gigabyte ex58-ud5 board. Tried all possible thing to no avail, until I saw this topic.

In your previous reply you hinted
    "600W PSU is not good for X58" - care to elaborate on that? I have a 500W brand new PSU but the system barely draws 150W out of it, at wall. How is that not enough for this board?

And to the previous poster:

"It took a few weeks, but yesterday I finally got myself a new psu, the Corsair HX1000. Swapped out my old MIST 600, and guess what.. s3 sleep now resumes perfectly! :D

Check out this thread for more detailed posts on the same issue:
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/ga-m...3-state-39628/

Problem solved, thank you all! :D"
    The above link no longer works so I have no idea what exactly it was that helped you, besides swapping a working 600W PSU for a working 1000W one?

Thanks guys!

Comment

Originally posted by globalist View Post
      The above link no longer works so I have no idea what exactly it was that helped you, besides swapping a working 600W PSU for a working 1000W one?
      Here ya go. This one works:
      #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
      ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
        OK thanks! Is this really indicating there could be just not enough amperage on the +5V line of my brand new OCZ CoreXStream 500W PSU?

It is rated as follows:

+3,3 V: 24 A
        +5 V: 15 A
        +12 V: 25 A V1/20 A V2
        -12 V: 0,3 A
        +5 VSB: 2,5 A

Comment

Is this really indicating there could be just not enough amperage on the +5V line of my brand new OCZ CoreXStream 500W PSU?
          So we know what your system is made up of please read and follow #1 in my sig below.
          #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
          ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

mobo: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5
            CPU: i7 at stock speeds
            RAM: 4x2GB OCZ DDR3
            PSU: 500W OCZ CorexSTream 500W
            VGA: Radeon HD4850
            HDD: 1TB WD Green

Comment

You are approaching 15A on the +5v rail.

While realizing it's OCZ and one of their low priced entry level PSU's, this PSU does have a low +5V rating. It's built by HEC which doesn't leave it in high standing with me. The only "real" review I found online by KitGuru seems to agree with my assumptions of it.

Is it the cause of your problems? I can't say either way. I will say that as it's new and if it's still within the return window you could do better with a psu with greater ratings/capacity on the rails.

Comment

OK thanks! Is this really indicating there could be just not enough amperage on the +5V line of my brand new OCZ CoreXStream 500W PSU?

It is rated as follows:

+3,3 V: 24 A
                +5 V: 15 A
                +12 V: 25 A V1/20 A V2
                -12 V: 0,3 A
                +5 VSB: 2,5 A
                Hmm, 24A on the 3.3V rail, and 15A on the 5V rail? That's unusual...

12V x 25A = 300W
                12V x 20A = 240W (already over 500W)
                5V x 15A = 75W
                3.3V X 24A = 79W
                TOTAL: 694W

My Seasonic Platinum PSU is spec'd to provide the rated output on the 12V rail alone, but that is with no load on the other rails.

Numbers don't lie, but sometimes you must add them up. Are these specs the max rail output with nothing on any of the other rails? I guess we weren't supposed to add them up...

mobo: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5
                CPU: i7 at stock speeds
                RAM: 4x2GB OCZ DDR3
                PSU: 500W OCZ CorexSTream 500W
                VGA: Radeon HD4850
                HDD: 1TB WD Green
                You use four 2GB DIMMs in a triple channel memory board? Well, doesn't really matter.

That's an i7 what?

My question is, is the +5VSB (+5V Stand By) rail strong enough at 2.5A, assuming it meets the spec. An X58 board might need a bit more juice to keep it alive during standby, with +5VSB @ 3A being a better PSU. 0.5A difference does not sound like much, but the +5VSB rail usually droops, particularly on older, budget PSUs.

Wake from Sleep issues can be soooo many things. I've seen cheap PSUs wake fine, when good ones fail to do so (my P67 ASUS board.)

If your BIOS has a "Check Ready Bit" setting, or "Repost Video BIOS on Resume", set those to Enabled.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
                  Hmm, 24A on the 3.3V rail, and 15A on the 5V rail? That's unusual...

12V x 25A = 300W
                  12V x 20A = 240W (already over 500W)
                  5V x 15A = 75W
                  3.3V X 24A = 79W
                  TOTAL: 694W

My Seasonic Platinum PSU is spec'd to provide the rated output on the 12V rail alone, but that is with no load on the other rails.

Numbers don't lie, but sometimes you must add them up. Are these specs the max rail output with nothing on any of the other rails? I guess we weren't supposed to add them up...
                  I just copied and pasted the specs from the retailer's website. OCZ themselves don't even go THAT deep here, lol

OCZ CoreXStream 500W - Specifications

You use four 2GB DIMMs in a triple channel memory board? Well, doesn't really matter.
                  Yes.

That's an i7 what?
                  I think it's an i7-970

My question is, is the +5VSB (+5V Stand By) rail strong enough at 2.5A, assuming it meets the spec. An X58 board might need a bit more juice to keep it alive during standby, with +5VSB @ 3A being a better PSU. 0.5A difference does not sound like much, but the +5VSB rail usually droops, particularly on older, budget PSUs.

Wake from Sleep issues can be soooo many things. I've seen cheap PSUs wake fine, when good ones fail to do so (my P67 ASUS board.)
                  Checked with HWmonitor, +5V is showing 4.8 volts... so maybe that's why?

If your BIOS has a "Check Ready Bit" setting, or "Repost Video BIOS on Resume", set those to Enabled.
                  No such settings in the Gigabyte BIOS.

Comment

The ATX PSU spec is +/- 5% for the 5V rail, or 4.75V as the minimum voltage within spec for the 5V rail. You're apparently close to or at that level now.

There is an ATX PSU spec that requires the PSU to "wake up" within 500ms. Windows will flag that as an error if it occurs. Check the Windows logs for errors at the time of day when you attempt to wake from Sleep, to see if that is happening.

Comment

One thing that worked for me is turning off turbo settings on my overclock. All my s3 problems went away after that on my 2600K and I was still able to maintain a high overclock at 4.5ghz . Not sure if its applicable to your processor but its an easy thing to try.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunburn74 View Post
                        One thing that worked for me is turning off turbo settings on my overclock. All my s3 problems went away after that on my 2600K and I was still able to maintain a high overclock at 4.5ghz . Not sure if its applicable to your processor but its an easy thing to try.
                        What mobo and BIOS version are you using, and OS?

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
                          What mobo and BIOS version are you using, and OS?
                          I had major sleep problems with a ga-p67x-ud3-b3 and a i7-2600k in win7 refractory to all sorts of tweaks and changes offered on the internet. Essentially, every say tenth awakening from s3 sleep, the PC would not wake and would need a hard reset.

Turning off the turbo feature (under advanced cpu features in the bios) fixed all those issues single handedly. Turbo actually doesn't make any sense when you're overclocking anyway when you have the EIST and C1E/C3E/C6E features on and are using the offset dvid mode to overclock.

I'm not sure if its applicable to others, but the only reason I have a 2600k is because I prior had a p55 board and a i7-875k which also had major sleep problems I could never solve. However, I never tried turning of turbo for that board.
                          Last edited by Sunburn74; 12-22-2013, 03:28 AM.

Comment

Interesting, my ASUS P67 board would consistently fail to wake from S3 Sleep when left for more than ~15 minutes. Others had the same issue, and we never found a fix.

Somewhat similar to you, I changed to a Z77 board for use with my i7-2600K, which wakes from Sleep perfectly every time. I'm not using that P67 board now, but would love to try this fix.

Comment

Working...
                            X