Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S3(STR) Sleep Wakeup problem with GA-X58A-UD7

Hi,

I've been using the UD7 board for a few weeks now after upgrading from an older Asus P5K-E (LGA775) board, and everything seems to work perfectly, except I have yet to get my rig to wake up from S3 sleep. I've been searching countless forums for several days now without result. It may very well not have anything to do with the mobo, but I don't know where else to start.

From what I've gathered so far there seems to be almost as many causes behind this problem as the problems themselves, and for me to have any chance of solving this issue, I'll try to be as specific in describing the symptoms as possible.

My specs are as follows:
    MB: GA-X58A-UD7
    CPU: i7 920 D0
    RAM: Corsair DominatorTR3X6G1600C8D (6gb)
    HDD: Intel X25-M 80GB SSD Gen.2
    GPU: Sapphire Vapor-X HD5870 1GB

BIOS: I'm currently on the latest F7h BIOS, and I've also tried both F5 and F6 from gigabytes official UD7 download page.

Exactly what happens:
    When entering S3 sleep (both timed and manual activation) the computer saves to ram and powers down everything in what seems like normal S3 sleep behaviour. I'll then press a key on the keyboard and the computer seems to be powering up again and the fans start spinning. But then nothing more happens...

During the attempted wakeup the UD7 POST error code LED seems to cycle three times through C1 as it would during a normal boot, but then halts at CF instead of moving to C3 and furhter towards FF like normal. Now, I'm aware that this may not be abnormal, as S3 to my knowledge won't execute a normal full boot like hibernate (which actually works perfectly on my machine) does, but I suspect the leds are supposed to show FF again after S3 wakeup? Any feedback here as to what the LEDs show for other UD7 users that are able to recover successfully from S3 sleep, when resuming, would be greatly appreciated.

This behaviour had me leaning towards faulty ram modules, but Memtest86+ v.4.10 completes just fine with no errors. Also when manually forcing shutdown after a failed resume, and then booting again, windows resumes correctly from the previous pre-sleep state with the "Resuming Windows" screen, much like hibernate would.

As for BIOS settings I've tried loading both failsafe and optimized defaults, tried forcing most MIT settings on manual insted of auto, and
    tried every combination I can think of at the BIOS power management settings (also in combination with different Windows 7 power settings). No OC'ing going on as of yet btw. Ram tested at both stock speed and XMP profile.

I've also read several places that dafault BIOS settings may need some tweaking to operate successfully with S3, but since I'm not that experienced in this field, it's just been guesswork so far. I've tried upping dram and qpi/vtt voltage, but to no avail.

Even tried a complete format/re-install of Win7 with a different Catalyst driver only (official 10.4 version instead of beta version.) in the off chance that it could be GPU related. I'm not so sure about this though, as I'm suspecting the wakeup process doesn't even get to the point of re-posting any video. Also tried all other latest hardware drivers.

A few last thoughts:
    Keyboard wakes up the machine, but power seems to disappear again when the UD7 settles on the CF error code, as the keyboard lights go out again. Pressing the mouse buttons won't wakeup the machine in the first place (probably device manager power settings, but that's okay), but when pressing a mouse button while on CF error, the mouse lights up, but nothing more. All other pheripherals like ethernet, audio etc. are disconnected. S1 sleep works fine, but it's not quite what I'm looking for.

Well, that should be about it :) I've probably forgotten to mention something, but I'll leave it up to you helpful experts to ask for other relevant pieces of information. At this point I'm left with no idea whatsoever what the cause(s) of the problem is, and I'd be super grateful to see the problem resolved.

Re: S3(STR) Sleep Wakeup problem with GA-X58A-UD7

what qpi/vtt and dram voltages/timings are you using??
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I'm currently on 1.15V qpi/vtt and 1.5V dram when running the ram at 1066mhz with 8-8-8-20-1t timings, which seems to be recommended according to SPD/BIOS.

I've also tried the XMP profile at 1600mhz (running auto voltages) with 1.65V dram and 8-8-8-24-2t timings. Qpi/vtt voltage seem to remain at 1.15V in the "Normal" column for "Advanced Voltage Control", but under MIT/Dram Timing Selectable it says "Profile QPI Voltage 1.35V in blue print when selecting the XMP profile. Should I change this manually to 1.35V under Advanced Voltage Control or am I confusing two different voltages?

As a sidenote my QPI Clock Ratio is set manually to x36, and Uncore Clock Ratio to x20. Do these need to be changed in any way when changing qpi/vtt or dram voltage?

Also the increments for both qpi/vtt and dram when running at 1600mhz, are either qpi/vtt 1.34 or 1.36 (in red print), and for dram 1.64 or 1.66 (red print).

What RAM speed, voltages and timings would you recommend for troubleshooting?

Comment

those voltages are ok to me,you could lower qpi/vtt to 1.320000 or 1.30000v @1066 or 1600mhz speed,dram is fine @1.66 in the bios which will be 1.65 in windows,better to use 8-8-8-24-1T than 2T,qpi clock ratio is fine at 36x,but Uncore Clock Ratio is better set to 21x.......to work this out its 2x what your ram multiplier is then add 1x or 2x to it so an 8ram multiplier will be either 17 or 18x uncore freq,whatevers the most stable,id use 17x,also set system performance enhance to standard,try an see if it helps with s3 sleep resume,you still might have to wait for a bios fix to correct it.......it took a long time for same issue to be resolved with the ud5 board
        Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
        Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
        Razer Lycosa Keyboard
        Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

Comment

Thank you very much for your input. However, none of the changes seemed to help with resuming from sleep.

Just to be sure I understand you correctly, for 1600mhz ram operation, I'd be advised to set dram at 1.66v, qpi/vtt at about 1.32v, timings at 8-8-8-24-1T(even though it's listed as 2T in xmp, wouldn't that make it become less stable?) and finally uncore freq. at x25 or x26 as the dram multiplier is 12 (x 133bclk)?

Would it also be possible that the cpu clock ratio and bclk has any impact on sleep? Mine is currently set at 20 x 133 .

Comment

i dont think it would affect anything,it shouldnt be less stable with 1T command rate,1.32v qpi/vtt wont hurt anything whether at 1066mhz or 1600mhz ram speed, 25 or 26x uncore freq always 2xram multi +1 or+2,i think its a bios issue maybe newer ones will fix it
            Razer Lycosa Keyboard
            Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

The normal POST LED process during resume from S3 sleep is CF - CF - CF - E1 - FF (Very fast!)

I have not used a BIOS for this board that would not resume, at 200+ Bclk or 4.2Ghz+, although I have not used the very latest yet I am sure it is fine though as any fixes would carry over from previous BIOSes.

Just tested using F7e this morning for you at 4.2Ghz, tested twice for 2-3 minutes and then for 5 hours in S3 without issue. Clocks are off in my event viewer though, not sure why but I am sure it doesn't have anything to do with sleep because they have always been off?

Click to Enlarge

You must be 100% stable to be able to resume, sounds like you are not testing or not doing so for long enough, and or you have not found the right settings yet.

Please grab a template from my signature and give us your full current settings you are trying.

For 1600Mhz you may need 1.25-1.4 QPI/Vtt depending on the memory itself, your CPU, and the timings and uncore you are using. Higher uncore can help sometimes too, voltages aside.

I do advise also that you do not use the x20 CPU multi, it is harder to get stable and will take more voltages to get there then you really want to use. Yes, use 1T, that should be fine unless your memory is cheap/budget set.

Manually set Uncore to 2x memory multi, or above such as 2x +1-2 which is sometimes much better for stability and performance.

Also be sure that you are starting from Optimized Defaults, and NOT Fail Safe!

Comment

Have reset CMOS and started from scratch with Optimized Defaults. Changed some settings to get a 19x CPU multiplier instead, full settings below:

Code:
                Advanced CPU Features:
                CPU Clock Ratio ............................ [19x] (2.66GHz, 140x19)
                Intel(R) Turbo Boost Tech .................. [Enabled] Tested with this off
                CPU Cores Enabled .......................... [All]
                CPU Multi Threading ........................ [Enabled]
                CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) .................... [Enabled] Tested with this off
                C3/C6/C7 State Support ..................... [Disabled] Tested with this on
                CPU Thermal Monitor ........................ [Enabled] Tested with this off
                CPU EIST Function .......................... [Enabled] Tested with this off
                Virtualization Technology .................. [Disabled]
                Bi-Directional PROCHOT ..................... [Enabled] Tested with this off

Uncore & QPI Features:
                QPI Link Speed ............................. [x36] (5.04GHz)
                Uncore Frequency ........................... [x25] (3500MHz) 
                Isonchronous Frequency ..................... [Enabled]

Standard Clock Control:
                Base Clock (BCLK) Control .................. [Enabled]
                BCLK Frequency (MHz) ....................... [140]
                PCI Express Frequency (MHz) ................ [100]

Advanced Clock Control:
                CPU Clock Drive ............................ [800mV]
                PCI Express Clock Drive .................... [900mV]
                CPU Clock Skew ............................. [0ps]
                IOH Clock Skew ............................. [0ps]

Advanced DRAM Features:
                Performance Enhance ........................ [Standard]
                Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P) ............. [Profile1]
                System Memory Multiplier (SPD) ............. [12.0]
                DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD) ............... [Quick]
                Channel A + B + C
                Channel A Timing Settings:
                ##Channel A Standard Timing Control##
                CAS Latency Time ........................... [8]
                tRCD ....................................... [8]
                tRP ........................................ [8]
                tRAS ....................................... [24]
                Command Rate (CMD) ......................... [1] Tested with this on 2
                Everything else left on auto for DRAM settings.

Advanced Voltage Control:
                CPU
                Load Line Calibration ...................... [Standard]
                CPU Vcore .................................. [1.29375V] Tested with this on auto
                QPI/VTT Voltage 1.150v ..................... [1.320V] Tested with this at 1.150V
                CPU PLL 1.800v ............................. [1.800V]
                MCH/ICH
                PCIE 1.500v ................................ [Auto]
                QPI PLL 1.100v ............................. [Auto]
                IOH Core 1.100v ............................ [1.100V]
                ICH I/O 1.500v ............................. [Auto]
                ICH Core 1.1v .............................. [Auto]
                DRAM
                DRAM Voltage 1.500v ........................ [1.660V] Tested with this on 1.500V
                DRAM Termination 0.750v [AUTO]
                Ch-A Data VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
                Ch-B Data VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
                Ch-C Data VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
                Ch-A Address VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
                Ch-B Address VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
                Ch-C Address VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
                I've also switched my GPU for a new 2GB Radeon 5970, so faulty GPU seems unlikely.

Haven't really done any long-term stability testing yet though, since I'm more or less running at stock speeds for both CPU and RAM. What kind of tests would you reccommend, and for how long?

Thank you both so much for all your helping efforts so far!

EDIT: After a quick Prime95 run I found the settings above to BSOD a few seconds into blend testing.... Changed CPU Multiplier to x21, BCLK to 127, Uncore to x26 and lowered Vcore a bit, forgot that value but Everest reports 1.20V vcore. Haven't had time to do extensive prime testing (more than a few minutes) on these new settings yet. Still no resume from sleep though.
                Last edited by arcticZ; 05-11-2010, 02:25 PM.

Comment

prime 95 would be good to test with,some say 12 hour but youll find errors within 3-4 imo
                  Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                  Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

Since I am sure you are still tinkering around I will wait for you to post new settings you are trying then I will advise.

You must get prime95 or LinX stable to resume from S3 sleep, so no need trying to until you get stable

Disable XMP and set the memory yourself, Uncore multi (2x memory or 2x +1-2) as well, QPI/Vtt (May need 1.35-1.425) and Dram voltage too

I'll help you with full settings once I hear back from you again.

Are you wanting to stay at 140 Bclk or go higher?

Comment

Alright, so now I've settled at the following BIOS settings:

Code:
                      Advanced CPU Features:
                      CPU Clock Ratio ............................ [21x] (2.66GHz, 127x21)
                      Intel(R) Turbo Boost Tech .................. [Enabled]
                      CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) .................... [Disabled] Tested with this on
                      C3/C6/C7 State Support ..................... [Disabled] Tested with this on
                      CPU Thermal Monitor ........................ [Enabled] Tested with this off
                      CPU EIST Function .......................... [Disabled] Tested with this on
                      Virtualization Technology .................. [Disabled]
                      Bi-Directional PROCHOT ..................... [Enabled] Tested with this off

Uncore & QPI Features:
                      QPI Link Speed ............................. [x36] (4.57GHz)
                      Uncore Frequency ........................... [x26] (3302MHz) Also tested at x25

Standard Clock Control:
                      BCLK Frequency (MHz) ....................... [127]

Advanced Clock Control:

Advanced DRAM Features:
                      Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P) ............. [Disabled]
                      System Memory Multiplier (SPD) ............. [12.0] (1524MHz, 127x12)
                      DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD) ............... [Quick]
                      Channel A + B + C
                      Command Rate (CMD) ......................... [1] Tested with this on 2
                      Everything else left on auto for DRAM settings.

CPU
                      Load Line Calibration ...................... [Standard]
                      CPU Vcore .................................. [1.29375V] Tested with this on auto
                      QPI/VTT Voltage 1.150v ..................... [1.320V] Tested with this at 1.150V
                      CPU PLL 1.800v ............................. [1.800V] Tested with this on auto
                      MCH/ICH
                      QPI PLL 1.100v ............................. [Auto]
                      IOH Core 1.100v ............................ [1.100V] Tested with this on auto
                      DRAM
                      DRAM Voltage 1.500v ........................ [1.660V] Tested with this on 1.500V
                      I blend tested the above with Prime95 (only except for XMP which was still on profile1 instead of disabled, but the dram settings were still the same), and it ran for 9hours+ with round off checking enabled. No errors or anything.

However, shortly after the 9 hours of prime, I was playing around in my BIOS, and suddenly the pc rebooted. Rebooted it myself once more and went into BIOS again, just to find the same thing happen a second time around. I then switched off my machine and gave it a few minutes of rest, and I've had no further reboots this far. This incident made me question my PSU. It's 3-4 years old and rated at 600w. Could it be that the addition of the power hungry 5970 gpu, has caused some level of PSU related instabillity? Although I'm surprised since I've yet to experience any signs of weakness during gaming and stress testing. Any thoughts?

Well anyway... instead of running 12-24 hours of prime with these settings, I would very much like to attempt a moderate overclock like you suggested Lsdmeasap. From what I understand so far, sleep should in theory be equally stable in an overclocked state, as long as the oc itself is sufficiently stable, right?

Lets say in the ballpark of 3.2 to 3.6 GHz, or even more as long as voltages and temperatures are kept within what is considered to be safe bounds.

I'm currently equipped with the CoolIT Domino ALC CPU cooler, and are getting around 70c max core load temperatures in a prime95 blend test with the Domino at it's quietest setting. tCase around 55c at max load and MCH temp at just above 60c. All temperatures read by coretemp and confirmed by everest. I'm sure I could lower the temps more by minimizing and re-testing vcore, but I'd like to start doing that at a more suitable bclk level.

Do you have any recommendations for a safe place to start with regards to BIOS settings for such an overclock?

Comment

you could try with a 172x21 or 170x21,set cpu voltage on normal setting,dram on 1.66 in bios and qpi/vtt 1.30000,set all ram timings manually according to your ram and use 1T command rate.start from there and see if its any good,set your uncore freq to twice what your ram multiplier is then add one to it
                        Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                        Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

Do not use XMP please! This ignores your settings and can overvolt things, or ignore your voltage settings, please set yourself.

600W PSU is not good for X58, and a older one adds to that, plus having a 5970 really adds to that! So this may be a huge part of your problems, possibly.

Yes sleep works fine overclocked as long as you are stable, didn't you see the sleep/resume images I posted on page one, those are at 4.2Ghz

Try this for 3.36Ghz, you may need to turn your cooler fan up, or whatever you do to take it off low.

You will of course need to tinker around a bit until you find your own stable Vcore, uncore, and QPI/Vtt settings.

Advanced CPU Features:
                          CPU Clock Ratio ............................ [21x] 3.36Ghz (21x160)
                          Intel(R) Turbo Boost Tech .................. [Enabled] << Disabled, set 21 above. Or leave enabled and set 20 above
                          CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) .................... [Disabled] Tested with this on << Disabled
                          C3/C6/C7 State Support ..................... [Disabled] Tested with this on << Disabled
                          CPU Thermal Monitor ........................ [Enabled] Tested with this off << Enabled always
                          CPU EIST Function .......................... [Disabled] Tested with this on << Disabled
                          Virtualization Technology .................. [Disabled] << Disabled if you do not need
                          Bi-Directional PROCHOT ..................... [Enabled]

Uncore & QPI Features:
                          QPI Link Speed ............................. [x36] << manually set x36 or x44 (Set 36 first, x44 may be best for stability and performance though, so you might want to use that right off the bat. I always keep mine as high as I can at any overclock. You only need to keep this under 8GT/s
                          Uncore Frequency ........................... [x20] << manually set 20-22 (Higher is better, but may need a little bit more QPI/Vtt voltage)

Standard Clock Control:
                          BCLK Frequency (MHz) ....................... [160]

Advanced Clock Control:

Advanced DRAM Features:
                          Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P) ............. [Disabled]
                          System Memory Multiplier (SPD) ............. [10.0] = 1600Mhz
                          DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD) ............... [Quick] << Set Expert, then set each channel main timings one by one

Channel A + B + C
                          Command Rate (CMD) ......................... [1] << Set 1T

CPU
                          Load Line Calibration ...................... [Standard] << Enabled - Level 1
                          CPU Vcore .................................. [1.29375V] << Set 1.28-1.36 should be plenty for 3.4 overclock
                          QPI/VTT Voltage 1.150v ..................... [1.320V] << Set 1.24-1.4 (May need upper end of this depending on all other settings chosen, and your CPU itself and memory itself)
                          CPU PLL 1.800v ............................. [1.800V] << Set 1.8

MCH/ICH
                          QPI PLL 1.100v ............................. [Auto] << Try 1.2, or leave at Auto
                          IOH Core 1.100v ............................ [1.100V] Auto may be fine here, or you can try using 1.14 or so

DRAM
                          DRAM Voltage 1.500v ........................ [1.660V] << Set 1.66

Comment

It took a few weeks, but yesterday I finally got myself a new psu, the Corsair HX1000. Swapped out my old MIST 600, and guess what.. s3 sleep now resumes perfectly! :D

Check out this thread for more detailed posts on the same issue:

Problem solved, thank you all! :D

Comment

Nice to hear this is solved for you now!!

Comment

Working...
                              X