GA-X58A-UD7 - n00b OC settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GA-X58A-UD7 - n00b OC settings

whoa whoa whoa... whats this about getting something better than AS5? I thought it was supposed to be pretty good as well?

Just for the record thats what im using with my setup which is pretty similar to yours so stick your tongue out and go "nerrrrr" to that reply lol

And its a 930, not a 920 as reported

I also thought it was supposed to be the best...... by the way k1llah3rtz, you know it takes a while for it to cure? 200hrs they say
    Last edited by SB420; 04-19-2010, 04:35 AM.

Comment

It was 5 years ago, not anymore by far!

Comment

Dammit... your making me want to redo mine now :(

You know in all the times ive built a pc ive never replaced a cpu.. generally when ive had a new cpu ive had a new mobo...

Can you use any rubbing alcohol to remove thermal paste? What is the BEST thermal paste IYO? If i get bored one day.......

Comment

80-way Thermal Interface Material Performance Test | Thermal Interface Material,Thermal Paste,Heatsink Compound,80-Way Thermal Interface Material Best Thermal Paste Heatsink Compound Cooling Performance Comparison Benchmark Tests ... and this isn't 5 years old ;)...

anyway sb420.. have you also got a megahalems?... how did you apply your TIM?

Thanks,
          K
          GA-X58A-UD7 rev1.0 - F9d // Intel i7 920 D0 @ 4.2Ghz - //vcore:Normal(1.2430v)+DVID+0.07500v//qpi_vtt:1.380v//bclk:200*21(turbo)
          6GB Corsair Dominator 1866 @ 1600 ([email protected])

CPU-Z Results: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2212669

Comment

Hey, can i make a suggestion?

Which way is your megashadow orientated? Ive got the same cooler.... i see alot of people have it setup so its exhausting air out the back fan, where as mine is orientated to exhaust out the top fan. Not sure which way you've tried it, but thought id mention it anyway.

I applied the TIM like you did mate, followed the instructions of the AS site. Small thin line... but im more interested to know how you mounted your cooler?

Comment

NO flames from me, just discussions!

Yes, you can use alcohol to clean with

Best I think is TX-2, or MX-2, then IC Diamond. The TX-2 and MX-2 are the best for cooling reasons, and cleaning, comes off in one wipe and requires zero set in time.

You will be surprised when you first use it how easy it is to clean up.

Comment

Any alcohol? Can you get alcohol wipes? Thanks for the tip LSD

Will try TX2 next time the situation arises to compare

Comment

Ya, wipes would work too but you may need a few.

You wont regret trying it, trust me

Comment

I dont regret any advice from you, its all good. Just the thought of first time removing thermal paste.......

I had an idea i wanted to do anyway.... infact message on way so you can tell me if im wrong on a theory i have ;)

Wheres Killa gone now.... I want to know which way he has his cooler setup......
                    Last edited by SB420; 04-19-2010, 05:05 AM.

Comment

still here.. just working as well ;)....

so am i the only person to have actually bought some ArctiClean??.. oh well..

yeah mine vents to the rear.. got a fan mounted on the case in line with my push-pull arrangement... can't mount it any other way due to the height of my DIMMs....

how thin was your line??.. i've tried getting it thin.. but i always get about 4-5mm.... the tiny syringe hardly makes it easy though...
                      GA-X58A-UD7 rev1.0 - F9d // Intel i7 920 D0 @ 4.2Ghz - //vcore:Normal(1.2430v)+DVID+0.07500v//qpi_vtt:1.380v//bclk:200*21(turbo)

Comment

Originally posted by k1llah3rtz View Post
                        still here.. just working as well ;)....

so am i the only person to have actually bought some ArctiClean??.. oh well..

yeah mine vents to the rear.. got a fan mounted on the case in line with my push-pull arrangement... can't mount it any other way due to the height of my DIMMs....

how thin was your line??.. i've tried getting it thin.. but i always get about 4-5mm.... the tiny syringe hardly makes it easy though...
                        You are not alone, I also have some 1+2! Smells great is why I like using it!

Comment

ahh mine vents up, to be fair..... if the ram needs to come out........ *hmmmm*

Tried to do the line as thin as possible, would have to guess and say it was 2-3mm

Excuse the mess... just showing you how the cooler looks the other way

Comment

isnt mx-3 supposed to be the best paste at the mo?? and i use a tiny rag dipped in petrol to clean my old thermal paste off (waits for scatheing comments)
                            Gigabyte ex58-ud5 f12 bios
                            Intel i7 920 d0 @3.8ghz 24/7-normal cpu voltage 1.18750v/c1e/turbo/multi threading enabled
                            Ocz reaper DDR3 PC3-14400 (1800MHz) 3x2gb (OCZ3RPR1800LV6GK) [email protected]
                            Thermolab Baram cpu cooler
                            Dual Boot
                            1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-win7 ultimate 64
                            1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-windows xp pro 32
                            Ati x1950 pro gpu
                            Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
                            1050w psu
                            Nzxt lexa case
                            http://i40.tinypic.com/2z3w377.jpg <=3.8ghz overclock template

Comment

yep.. that sweet citrus smell of success :)... haha...

so for an i7 with a megahalems.. whats the best way to apply the TIM.. small pea/medium pea/small line - how big... arrgghh...

i've no idea what the best TIM install method is for the NB cooler.... but hey ho....

Comment

petrol? lol

I think wipes sound the easiest to me... just need to find somewhere that stocks some :)

Dont fancy doing it with petrol lol

Small line across the chip, about 2mm wide, like the instructions.... btw... what was your temps as i seem to have missed it?

Comment

Working...
                                X