Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyway to adjust PWM speed/temp settings at Bios on EX58-UD4P?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyway to adjust PWM speed/temp settings at Bios on EX58-UD4P?

This goes back to maybe 6-10months ago. I seem to only have luck with the F10d Bios. Thats the only one that seems to let my PWM based CPU fan run at normal levels when its booting up and idle. Any other bios causes the fan to run at almost 75-80% of max speed at even idle. Only way for me to control it is using ET6 in windows which is fine, however when I run say Linux or say Snow Leopard, I dont really have a good way of controlling the fan.

Id like to be on the latest Bios to test some stability issues Ive been having with my Canon Camcorder while transferring data where it randomly reboots.

So like right now Ive got the latest F13 Bios, but just like F8, F9, F10h, and other bios'es, the fan seems to run WAY TOO fast at idle. Looking at speeds its causing it to run at 1900rpm when before the F10d bios would at idle make it run at say 800-900rpm.

The fan in question is a Cooljag Everflow 120x120x25 PWM Fan - R121225BU. Max RPM 2400.

I know the Bios doesnt really have settings to say where the low point of the PWM temp and high point is like the ET6 does. But clearly it works on F10d so it must be embedded in the Bios somewhere.

Is there say anyways I can modify the Bios and put my own speed/temp settings and then reflash the bios? There has to be some cpu temp/speed setting for PWM that tells it how fast percentage wise to run, I just need to adjust those settings.

Thanks
    Dixit
    EX58-UD4P Motherboard
    Core i7 920 Processor D0 stepping
    Patriot 6GB 1600mhz PVT36G1600LLK Memory
    Prolimatech Megahalems CPU Cooler (push-pull fan)
    Zotac GTS250 1gb Video Overclocked
    Cooler Master CM690 Case with 6 Fans
    Corsair 750TX Power Supply
    1TB Seagate 7200.12 HD

Re: Anyway to adjust PWM speed/temp settings at Bios on EX58-UD4P?

Did you try setting it to voltage instead of PWM? Just a though, this will vary speeds as well but sometimes not as much as you would like. Try it out though if you have not already, it work just fine for what you are looking for.

Yes, I am sure speed ratios are set within the BIOS, but hidden. Next time I speak with Gigabyte I will ask if the BIOS Engineers could possibly enable this for users sometime soon.

Nothing you can modify though, sorry. I will ask though, in the meantime please try the voltage setting instead of PWM and see if that feels any better for you.

As a side thought, you do know SYS_FAN2 runs very slow right? Maybe you could move a fan to there if it is bothersome, I think it normally runs 50%

Comment

Unfortunately the Voltage still causes it to run way too fast for idle. Not that I really care, its just when this 2400rpm fan is running in the 2000 range, it sounds like a 2u-5u rackmounted server at idle.

SYS_FAN2 is slower but then it somewhat defeats the purpose in that it wont speed it up when Im under load like say if Im rendering a HD video footage. It will just keep it fixed unless if I use Speedfan or something, but again hard to do on Apple or Linux side. Windows not much of an issue since ET6 can handle this for me.

It basically seems the problem is if you get i the 2000-3000rpm range fan, the speed/temp settings that are in the bios almost look like they more for normal 1000rpm level fans. Like they are just simply using percentage and thats whats causing these higher speed fans to run way too fast.

Would be nice if the Bios exposed these as folks like me dont use only just Windows. ET6 is a great tool to control the fan, but again if we could do this at the bios level, it saves the need to use any 3rd party tool/software to control fans.

Ive seen folks hack/modify bios files, Im not saying thats what I want to do. But it sure would be nice say to open up one and see where they got these temp/speed settings at and maybe modify it more suited for higher speed fans. Or like you said, see if maybe they (Gigabyte) would be willing to open up a setting option in the Bios itself. Sort of just like what ET6 has, set the low end CPU temp and its low end speed and then high end cpu temp and its speed. Basically 4 variables and that is what can be used to control the PWM fan.

Dixit
      EX58-UD4P Motherboard
      1TB Seagate 7200.12 HD

Comment

Gigabyte ex58-ud5 f12 bios
        Intel i7 920 d0 @3.8ghz 24/7-normal cpu voltage 1.18750v/c1e/turbo/multi threading enabled
        Ocz reaper DDR3 PC3-14400 (1800MHz) 3x2gb (OCZ3RPR1800LV6GK) [email protected]
        Thermolab Baram cpu cooler
        Dual Boot
        1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-win7 ultimate 64
        1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-windows xp pro 32
        Ati x1950 pro gpu
        Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
        1050w psu
        Nzxt lexa case
        http://i40.tinypic.com/2z3w377.jpg <=3.8ghz overclock template

Comment

Ya I understand fully what you mean.

I'll see if I can get them to look into adding an adjustment option for users in the BIOS.

Comment

Ask and you shall recieve!

Coming soon:

Not in your BIOS yet, but should be coming shortly

Comment

This is AWESOME!!! Cant wait to give that a whirl.

Good work Lsdmeasap and Gigabyte!

This really sets this board apart now, probably why I got 4 of them and keep coming back for more.

Dixit
              EX58-UD4P Motherboard
              1TB Seagate 7200.12 HD

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                Ask and you shall recieve!

Coming soon:

Not in your BIOS yet, but should be coming shortly
                I have this in my BIOS now for the UD7 though im not sure how to configure it? Is it possible to set idle speeds and speeds at load or cetain temps etc?

Comment

Is anything like this coming to P45 boards, I have cpu fan speed control set to enabled and voltage control. Using Windows and ET6 I have set fan's minimum speed to 60 % and that works great, fan speed never goes below 900 rpm. Problem is that 95 % of times I boot to Snow Leopard and then fan control starts acting like it was set to Auto mode and that let's fan voltage fall way too low when cpu is cold. When I wake up system from sleep voltage is so low that fan doesn't even start which triggers fan failure warning sound. Now I usually have to start Prime95 for half a minute to get cpu warm enough for fan to start. It would be much nicer to have that 60 % minimum speed also on Snow Leopard and Linux.
                  Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4
                  i7-2600K @ 4.5 GHz, EK Supreme HF
                  Kingston HyperX Genesis PC3-12800 2* 4 GB
                  Radeon HD 7950
                  OCZ Agility 3 120 GB
                  XFX 650W Core edition
                  Fractal Design Arc Midi

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UDH5
                  i7-3770K @ 4.5 GHz, XSPC Raystorm
                  G.Skill Ripjaws X 2* 4 GB
                  Radeon HD 6870 * 2
                  PNY XL8 120 GB
                  Super Flower SF-700P14XE
                  Bitfenix Shinobi XL

Comment

This should be something that should be available to all motherboards as most users out there are on air cooling.
                    Main Rig
                    Gigabyte z87x-OC
                    Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
                    G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
                    Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
                    Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
                    HiS ATI HD 6950
                    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
                    Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
                    Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
                    Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
                    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
                    Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
                    EK Supremacy Cpu Block
                    Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
                    Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Comment

surely they could integrate all the mb fan headers into easytune smart fan control so you could control each fan and not just the cpu fan speed
                      Gigabyte ex58-ud5 f12 bios
                      Intel i7 920 d0 @3.8ghz 24/7-normal cpu voltage 1.18750v/c1e/turbo/multi threading enabled
                      Ocz reaper DDR3 PC3-14400 (1800MHz) 3x2gb (OCZ3RPR1800LV6GK) [email protected]
                      Thermolab Baram cpu cooler
                      Dual Boot
                      1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-win7 ultimate 64
                      1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-windows xp pro 32
                      Ati x1950 pro gpu
                      Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
                      1050w psu
                      Nzxt lexa case
                      http://i40.tinypic.com/2z3w377.jpg <=3.8ghz overclock template

Comment

Well the chip that controls this can only do a certain number of things, it is not the BIOS only that has an effect on these options.

So in some boards more monitoring may be possible, while others it may not be. It all depends on how many fan controls, RPM readouts, and voltage readouts the chip is already doing on xx model, some have different amounts of each so it all depends on which models can be changed or not.

Comment

Working...
                        X