GA-H57M-USB3 Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-H57M-USB3 Issues

hello everybody, I was wanting to share too my experience of the new gigabyte GA-H57M-USB3 motherboard. I decided to build up a new system for more CPU intensive jobs like photos editing and many others transfert thru usb3, I decided that the i5-670 would be adequate for my budget and what I was wanting it to do. The GA-H57M-USB3 seemed a good idea as it had both firewire and USB3, coupled with the h57 chipset, I was too fussed about on-board graphics as my processor did support it...

i'm a resseller and assembler into a computer store. I assembled everything nicely for my customer, double and triple checked everything, then pressed the power button.....it turned on, beeped one time then start the procedure to create my Raid 5 and then install win 7, I thought everything was normal, and it seemed that way for a while, I managed to load windows7 for the first time and open the explorer, loaded quite a bit of soft drivers from the web and started using the computer as normal.....however all was not perfect in paradise. after 20 min approx. the machine, turning completely off then back on. This happened a few times, and in the end I suspected the memory kit ,i decided to swap the memory kit.
    I noticed that when resetting the computer through windows after having been running the computer for over 20 minutes, that the motherboard would not perform a soft reset any more, but would turn off completely (about 2 seconds) then back on. The computer would however perform a soft reset if restarted when still cool. It wasn't until it hard reset during the loading in safe mode, that I suspected something seriously wrong. I have so far swapped power supplies, swapped hard drives (raid5) to one drive in AHCI and after in IDE mode and try in legacy mode (no IRQ share for them), updated to the latest bios, checked heat sink to cpu bond,the cpu good connected into his soket,still the board now reboot each tim i try to re-install win 7 during the first load DVD! I suspected the "Turbo Boost" and went into the Bios to disable it and to check all myself...curiousely the QPI auto mode choose 6,4GT/s 48X but my Cpu normaly need 36X 4,8GT/s, i fixed it manually and all other setting that was in auto puted in normal mode, fixed all freq. and remove special turbo mode...
    these solutions did'nt fix the problem...i suspected a deffect motherboard and made a RMA exchange procedure, but the new board, even set manually with basic and correct setting gived the same problem
    i'm now waiting the new cpu i5-670 from Intel thanks for them, they have accepted to swap it with a new one (i suspected that the QPI set up the first time @ 6,4GT/s had burn some faiture into the cpu) and hope that i will have a new good start, i contacted Gigabyte too, they did'nt answer me why the QPI auto mode did'nt choose the corect value for my CPU but they have send me a Beta version Bios F6a to test for them
    i don't have other choice for the moment than to accept it, because this machine must be delivered in one week and correspond to the offer done to my Pro customer . i lost already 2 days with this story and it's not finish, this is not good for my Gigabyte sens of reputation...

I would be interested to hear if other people Has anyone else experienced reliability or hardware incompatibility issues with the GA-H57M-USB3?[/quote]

Re: GA-H57M-USB3 Issues

4.8-6.4 QPI is fine, this is how the more expensive CPU's run even at the same speeds as the cheaper ones. Not and issue at all unless you are overclocked at a higher speed, then you would need to lower the x44 multi to x36. It for sure would not damage your CPU. Just a heads up in case you continue to have issues, this is one less thing for you to worry about.

Are you using the onboard graphics only or have you added a graphics card? If so which did you install?

What PSU are you using, model or link please?

What memory are you using, model # or link?

When you updated the BIOS did you load optimized defaults, then save/reboot F10 then come back to the BIOS and make any changes you need to? This is very important, and could cause issue if you do not do this.

As for windows not being able to shut down, I have seen this a lot lately! Do you have Wake on Lan enabled "WOL or PME Event Wake UP" in the BIOS Power Options page, if so disable this for now unless you need it.

I'll have to do some digging tonight and see if I can find you the most recent threads on this.

Starting with sleep though.. Did you change the defaults on the sleep options in the control panel power plan? The default is 20 minutes being idle and the PC will go into sleep mode, which if you have S3 set in the BIOS the PC will look completely shut down when really it is only asleep (No fans, LEDs, nothing but the memory will be powered). So if you did not change this, and the system was idle sleep which may look shutdown to you may be what is happening each time at the 20 minute mark.

I'll see if I can find you the shut down issue threads tonight, please do check the sleep options I mentioned.

Also, since you are making changes can you please post for me the exact settings you are trying now in the MIT section of the BIOS. You can use the P55 template linked in my signature
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 04-07-2010, 11:42 PM.

Comment

tks for your reply,

Yes i'm using the on board graphic
      i forgot to display my config hardware sorry
      GA-H57M USB3 rev 1.0 (batch 1004)
      Intel I5-670
      Kingston KVR1333D3N9K2/4G (chip Elpedia)
      PSU FSP Everest 800 80+
      3X SEAGATE 80gb
      1x DVDR Samsung SH-S203
      Sure , i had load optimized defaults after the update Bios to F5.

When i said that the first time i was into windows and 20min working with it (it's maybe 15min), it soudenly,brutally reboot and after this issue it won't goes into windows anymore, even in safe mode,even the load install dvd windows, reboot in circle...
      now,the reboot append when the blue background appaird and just before the window to choose the "Country""Language keyboard".do you know all the voltage settings to put manually into the Bios? i will receive today the cpu back from Intel, but when i visited official Gigabyte forum, i seen that many UD3 board have lot problems with automatique voltage regulation and power safe CE1, i start to think to goes to another made that Gigabyte, i need a board that will be stable for office and profesionnal work,the overclok faiture is not need for my customer usage i will goes to Intel board with H55 chipset to prepare my reaction if the gigabyte board still persist with these mess.
      i don't have really a problem "windows not being able to shutdown" in fact i can't see windows start anymore or re-install it too.

Comment

Ahh ok, thanks for clearing up the issue a bit more and telling me your hardware.

Yes I can help with settings, post the current settings you are using when you get the CPU back and I will tell you what to change so you wont have to leave things on Auto. That can cause issues so it could be the problem. You can disable C1E and EIST if you think this is a problem, that will be ok for your needed uses and not cause any issues since the system will be running at stock speeds this will be fine.

Comment

hello, i'm back ,the CPU too
          there is the settings into my bios:
          Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Thanks!

For stability you should set these two items for sure.

CPU
                    QPI/VTT Voltage 1.150v ............ << Set this, you may want to test a few different amounts out to find which is most stable. Try 1.1575-1.225

DRAM
                    DRAM Voltage 1.500v .............. Set 1.5-1.55 (This is fine, and I say 1.55 possibly because sometimes auto or manual 1.5 or any setting is usually a little less then what you set)

Comment

Dear Supermounter,

Hi There! It is so sad that hear that a brand new motherboard and offered from a most reputable company like Gigabyte could sell across such defective motherboard?

I was so happy to go ahead and buy this new Gigabyte GA-H57M-USB3motherboard but after going through the problems that you are facing, I am just wondering what to do? Have all the issues being resolved or still left? If resolved, so where was the problem exactly?

Looking at this board features and specifications, I was much happy and looking forward to go for it but now, I really need to think again! I wonder how could a brand new latest Motherboard create problems like these?

And now if not Gigabyte motherboard, then which motherboard could I go for which can compete this GA-H57M-USB3 board?

I am from India, Mumbai.

Kindly reply....

Regards,
                      Apoorva.

Comment

It was most likely settings, hope he replies soon and lets us know if he has resolved the problems yet or not.

The board should be fine, of course you need to get memory you know is comnpatible. If you do not know anyone with known working memory then you should get a set from the QVL list.

And with all new models, it often takes a few BIOS versions before all the little problems are worked out as well, so that could also be part of his problems.

I do think my suggestions on page one should have helped though, maybe that is why he never posted back yet? Sometimes people get the help they need and do not post back to let us know it worked, happens often too.

Comment

Hi there,
                          Sorry for my late reply.
                          The Board work now verry fine , but to be sure that i don't have problems anymore
                          i left all the Bios settings with fixed manual entry.
                          I had disable all cpu power economy fonction (CE1, C3/C6/C7) but reactivate the auto turbo boost option and the pc work verry fast in win7...with stability 24h test everest.
                          I don't really understand why Intel site support just give DMI value of 2,5GTs and don't talk about QPI value compatibility for the I5-670 CPU.i think that many poeple will confuse with these DMI and QPI sentence.
                          I'm not sure from now, if the problems was the Bios version, the auto settings Bios or a deffect CPU or if the QPI auto set to 6,4GTs had kill some part of the CPU.
                          In fact the problems didn't apaird at the first start, but after i had install the windows.
                          Maybe the great LCDmeasap can help us to better understand the difference of DMI and QPI fonction and wath are the risk to overclok these one.
                          Gigabyte is greath, they had give me verry quick answer to my problem and sent me a beta version bios in the same day of my querry, try this with other made like Asus, you will see why i said that.I will try the next week a Intel board with H55 chipset + I5-661 and see how these choice work better than Gigabyte H57 + I5-670.

Comment

Sorry, I have not used P55/H55/H57 myself, so I am unsure what DMI settings do.

I do know QPI setting of 6.4 or above does not hurt anything at all, you can run this past 8GT/s if your board supports it. This is not a setting that can harm anything like voltages can

Comment

small forget, I disabled CEIST too

Comment

Working...
                              X