GA-P55A-UD4 whining noise whith C-sates enabled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GA-P55A-UD4 whining noise whith C-sates enabled

Nope. That computer belongs to a client of mine.
    But I'm pretty sure that some PSU will create more noise and others won't.
    I run a tiny little computer shop, but the only Corsair I've in stock at this moment is a VX550 (a little underpowered for my system).
    Probably when I get more Corsair for my shop, I'll try one with my computer at home.
    But I'm very lazy regarding my computer. You understand that after 8/12 hours of working, 1 weekly day off, I don't come home with much feeling for "messing" up with my computer. I just hate the idea of picking up a screwdriver. I think you can understand this.

Like you I've never heard that I needed to enable C-sates in BIOS in order to have Intel Power Boost working. I've only noticed this fact when I monitored the performance/temperature of my new motherboard/CPU/memory. Today I was called to solve a problem with a computer that I've sold, and so, I had the chance to test if its Turbo was working. And it wasn't. Next week I'll have to visit another client with another P55 motherboard and I'll check it also.
    If you're interested to know I'll report it here.
    Last edited by Von Paulus; 04-01-2010, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nickel020 View Post
      I have heard that some PSUs can make whining noises with the GB P55 boards when the C states are enabled. AFAIK the only thing you can do is leave them disabled or switch to another PSU.
      Thanks for your feedback. That's precisely what I'm thinking.
      If you add the poor implementation of USB3/SATA3 to this whining problem, it makes me thinking twice to choose GB motherboards for my computers. But the fact is that I really like this board, the quality of components, the extra USB ports and competitive price.

Originally posted by Nickel020 View Post
      When the C states are disabled the turbo can kick in by only one multiplier step. For more steps some of the cores need to enter C3/C6.
      But only with P55 chipsets?

Comment

Ya this thread is the VERY first I have heard this Turbo issue/feature mentioned. Does this matter when overclocking with P55 anyway? I mean don't you just set the max CPU multi anyway so turbo wouldn't matter?

Ya, I know what you mean about working on PC's all day! Happens to me all day everyday, so I understand!

Just saw a thread at XS on this whine issue, new PSU Solves it again
        Gigabyte X58A-UD3R high pitched noise - Page 2 - XtremeSystems Forums

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
          Does this matter when overclocking with P55 anyway? I mean don't you just set the max CPU multi anyway so turbo wouldn't matter?
          From the professional point of view, I want stable machines and everything is configured with standard settings. If the client want to do an OC he can do, but do it at his own risk. I'm sure you understand this.
          Intel Turbo Boost seems to be a natural OC, from what I've been reading is stable and give really some boost in some situations.

Personally I'm not an extreme overclocker. One of the reasons is for pure ignorance about the technique. My time is spent in another computer areas. But I find the utilities like EasyTune6 very interesting. I know that this might sound a sacrilege to some, but for me it works. There are some legacy, non multicore applications and games that I play, that beneficts from this. So I use a medium profile tune with turbo activated and see some improvement on those applications/games. And it seems to be quiet stable and not dangerous. All this with no effort at all of messing with BIOS settings. Like I say I'm a bit lazy with my home computer. Most of the times I just want to arrive home and relax by playing a game. I guess, I've never lost the habit since Space Invaders.

Comment

Ahh yes, I do know what you mean there. I guess I was asking for the more general overclockers around here, since I just heard of this feature/issue, wondered what they thought/can do.

Easytune is ok for users who don't want to mess with the BIOS, which is easy really once you get into it. And you are right, it overclocks fairly well and you will see the differences in stock speed vs overclock so imagine how much faster it can be if you jump in there yourself and crank it up.

I do know how you feel though, just wanting to enjoy the machine without hassles, and that's understandable for sure. What games do you play these days?

Comment

What games do you play these days?
              Currently "ARMA II" and "Over Flanders Field", mainly.
              I play also, in a less frequent way, "Rise of Flight" and "Wings of Prey".
              But it depends on the mood. I'm also playing, slowly, "Mass Effect 2" and "Dragon Age".
              And you?

Comment

I don't game myself, but I do use games for benchmarks and reviews so I have several installed and others on hand. I do like Mass Effect though, very cool gaming concept!

Comment

I don't game myself, but I do use games for benchmarks and reviews so I have several installed and others on hand. I do like Mass Effect though, very cool gaming concept!
                  Now that's a premier for me. Not that's wrong, but you're the first computer enthusiast that I met which don't game. I begun learning computers with a Time Sharing terminal. No monitor, just a text terminal, a modem and a puncher for the punched tape. Am I old?! That was back in 1980 and I was learning BASIC and COBOL. But my motivation was always the games. Even in those non monitor terminals, I'd spent some time playing games.
                  I might be several months or even a couple of years without playing video games, but in the end it always come back. I think that gaming is my innermost motivation for still having some computer level of enthusiasm. If it wasn't that I would now be vomiting computers.
                  One of my oldest clients is a man with 85 years old, and recently he confessed me, that the only time that he seems to forget about his age and his health problems is when he's playing video games in his PC. Without it he would have already died. It might sounds extreme but I believe that's true in his case.

Sorry for the off-topic.

Comment

HAHA, Ya I suppose it is odd isn't it! I like games, I just do not play them because I am always too busy with other things and I know if I get started I will not be able to stop gaming to get everything else done.

Na, not too old! I used to write in BASIC and DOS, and I miss the old REAL Floppy disks that were actually floppy (The 5 1/4 ones) from back in 80's. I can remember quite a few games I bought back them coming on 10 or 12 floppy disks, some I really miss and wish I could find too!

Cool, 85 year old gamer still going strong! That's nice to hear, and I bet it does keep him going! Don't let him get addicted to myspace or facebook and he should live many more years to game!

Comment

silentpcreview.com | View topic - Recommended P55 boards

In this thread Tyr Antilles wrote:
                      ...I have:
                      - voltage set on BIOS manually - 1.131V...

For me this removed the whine with power saving settings enabled. As a note: the voltage Tyr used was for an overclocked CPU, so the voltage might possibly be lowered when on stock settings.

Comment

Originally posted by rindert View Post
                        silentpcreview.com | View topic - Recommended P55 boards

In this thread Tyr Antilles wrote:
                        ...I have:
                        - voltage set on BIOS manually - 1.131V...

For me this removed the whine with power saving settings enabled. As a note: the voltage Tyr used was for an overclocked CPU, so the voltage might possibly be lowered when on stock settings.
                        are you using windows 7? if you are you can disable c1e in the bios and use balanced power saving profile in win7,this will still throttle the cpu when idle the same as having c1e enabled but without the noise
                        Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
                        Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
                        Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
                        Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
                        1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
                        1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
                        Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
                        Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                        Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
                        Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
                        K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
                        L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
                        Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
                        Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
                        http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
                        Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by wazza300 View Post
                          are you using windows 7? if you are you can disable c1e in the bios and use balanced power saving profile in win7,this will still throttle the cpu when idle the same as having c1e enabled but without the noise
                          I know. In fact I only started noticing whine after a couple of months when I was testing a new SSD. Because for that I switched power profile.

Last week I installed operating system x. The whine changed character and this time would only disappear with a manually set CPU voltage. Making this is a welcomed 3rd way.
                          Last edited by rindert; 04-25-2010, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X