Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-P55A-UD4 whining noise whith C-sates enabled

Hi everybody.
    I've a whining noise when I move my mouse, coming from inside the PSU.
    When I disabled "C3/C6/C7 State Support" in BIOS the noise disappears.
    If I enabled it the noise appears again. The only problem is if I want to set the Intel Turbo Boost working I need to enable "C3/C6/C7 State Support".
    I've "C1E" disabled in the BIOS.
    Is there any workaround?
    Besides the noise incovenience, am I damaging anything (PSU, motherboard, CPU) with C3 enabled? These are the only worries I've, because so far, I can live with the noise.
    Thanks.

EDIT: Specs: Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 ,Intel I5 750 @ 2,79 Ghz , 4 GB DDR3 Gskilll 1600MHZ RIPJAW RM (CL7) , Asus 4890, PSU LC-POWER Hyperion 750.
    Last edited by Von Paulus; 03-30-2010, 11:01 AM.

Re: GA-P55A-UD4 whining noise whith C-sates enabled

Originally posted by Von Paulus View Post
    Hi everybody.
    I've a whining noise when I move my mouse, coming from inside the PSU.
    When I disabled "C3/C6/C7 State Support" in BIOS the noise disappears.
    If I enabled it the noise appears again. The only problem is if I want to set the Intel Turbo Boost working I need to enable "C3/C6/C7 State Support".
    I've "C1E" disabled in the BIOS.
    Is there any workaround?
    Besides the noise incovenience, am I damaging anything (PSU, motherboard, CPU) with C3 enabled? These are the only worries I've, because so far, I can live with the noise.
    Thanks.

EDIT: Specs: Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 ,Intel I5 750 @ 2,79 Ghz , 4 GB DDR3 Gskilll 1600MHZ RIPJAW RM (CL7) , Asus 4890, PSU LC-POWER Hyperion 750.
    does it go away with just c1e disabled? i also have this noise its common,are you running win 7? if so just disable c1e and select balanced powersaving profile in win7 power saving options,it does the same job as c1e but without the squeal noise.its the intel power saving feature that causes the noise and the chokes on the motherboard that throttle the cpu power when its enabled,it can also be your psu or gpu not being compatable
    Last edited by warren300; 03-30-2010, 06:43 PM.
    Gigabyte ex58-ud5 f12 bios
    Intel i7 920 d0 @3.8ghz 24/7-normal cpu voltage 1.18750v/c1e/turbo/multi threading enabled
    Ocz reaper DDR3 PC3-14400 (1800MHz) 3x2gb (OCZ3RPR1800LV6GK) [email protected]
    Thermolab Baram cpu cooler
    Dual Boot
    1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-win7 ultimate 64
    1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-windows xp pro 32
    Ati x1950 pro gpu
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    1050w psu
    Nzxt lexa case
    http://i40.tinypic.com/2z3w377.jpg <=3.8ghz overclock template

Comment

Thanks for replying.
      My problem is not with C1E because I use it always disabled. Yes I'm running Win7.
      The only thing is that when I have C3/C6/C7 State Support enabled the noise comes.
      I need it enabled in order to Intel Turbo Boost work.
      About the GPU and PSU not being compatible, I hardly doubt, after all I've been using both in another rig before without any problem. The PSU has enough power (4 rails 12v x 18 amp and is 80+ certified).

Comment

yes it might have enough power but it might not be shielded magnetically thats why your hearing the noise,some psu's you dont hear the noise with,same thing for some gpu's there better shielded
        Intel i7 920 d0 @3.8ghz 24/7-normal cpu voltage 1.18750v/c1e/turbo/multi threading enabled
        Dual Boot
        Ati x1950 pro gpu
        1050w psu
        Nzxt lexa case

Comment

Thanks for your answer. Yes it's true what you say, but you've to admit that's strange that this only happen when c-states are enabled. Even when I OC it with Quickboost (and yes it works rather well so far) with C-states disabled I don't have any kind of noises.
          And like I said it was working well with other rig since 6 months ago, no noises at all.

Comment

Normally when you hear this, disable C1E and EIST. If you are overclocking they would be disabled anyway, should be I mean.

It can either be the PSU or the board chokes, with those enabled I have heard if from both, and various BIOSes also may make it come or go as well no matter the settings used.

So did you get this figured out for your intentions?

Comment

remember you wont hear the noises when your cpu is under load,thats when the c1e and eist disable themselves,its only at idle you will hear it
              Dual Boot
              Ati x1950 pro gpu
              1050w psu
              Nzxt lexa case

Comment

I just use OC for a couple of games. Normally it's at stock speed. I've always C1E and EIST disabled in BIOS since day 1; I've never enabled them. But I bet I'll hear the same noise like when C3/C6/C7 State are enabled. Other users have reported similar problems. There is a certain consensus that it might be coil vibration inside PSU... but like I've said this is a faint noise that doesn't really bothers me much. My only concern is if it is damaging anything; if is just coil vibration, or like warren suggested bad shielding, than it will only damage my ears.
                Probably I'll keep C3/C6/C7 enabled in order to have Turbo Boost and live with the noise.

Comment

Ya, it wont damage anything, it's just bothersome sometimes.

C3/C6/C7 do not need to be enabled to use turboboost, unless there is some difference between P55 and all other boards that I am unaware of.

Comment

also updating to the latest lan drivers and audio drivers help lessen the noise
                    Dual Boot
                    Ati x1950 pro gpu
                    1050w psu
                    Nzxt lexa case

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                      Ya, it wont damage anything, it's just bothersome sometimes.

C3/C6/C7 do not need to be enabled to use turboboost, unless there is some difference between P55 and all other boards that I am unaware of.
                      If I've C3/C6/C7 set in AUTO or DISABLED the Turbo Boost won't start. Only when C3/C6/C7 is ENABLED.
                      Maybe it's a characteristic of the P55A chipsets, I really don't know. At first I even didn't even consider to enable C3/C6/C7, it was only when I monitored the performance, that I discovered it wasn't working. I've tested it with CPU-Z, with Everest and Intel Turbo Boost Monitor. So I'm pretty sure about that.

Originally posted by warren300 View Post
                      also updating to the latest lan drivers and audio drivers help lessen the noise
                      I didn't use the CD. It was a clean install and I download always the last drivers, utilities and BIOS.

Thanks both for being interested in my problem and for given me suggestions.

Comment

Hmm, Maybe this is P55 isssue/feature? Hopefully someone will chime in on that one, I know in X58 this is not true.

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                          Hmm, Maybe this is P55 isssue/feature? Hopefully someone will chime in on that one, I know in X58 this is not true.
                          Yes you're right it must be a P55 feature. I tried today with a P55 Asus motherboard and I needed also to enable the C-state for Turbo Boost to work.
                          The only difference I wasn't having any whining noise coming from inside PSU. But to be honest I tested without my PSU.

Comment

Hmm, maybe it is? I had not heard this, or used P55 myself so not sure.

Can you test that PSU with your board?

Comment

I have heard that some PSUs can make whining noises with the GB P55 boards when the C states are enabled. AFAIK the only thing you can do is leave them disabled or switch to another PSU.

When the C states are disabled the turbo can kick in by only one multiplier step. For more steps some of the cores need to enter C3/C6.

Comment

Working...
                              X