Random freeze-up on Gigabyte P55A-UD4P

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Random freeze-up on Gigabyte P55A-UD4P

Alright, keep up posted. Good luck, and don't let it frustrate you!

Comment

Well, that was a waisted evening... I reverted MoBo bios to non-raid, and went into Acronis to see if I could restore an image to a single drive (one that was now in IDE but was part of a Raid 0 array prior. Well, Acronis saw it, but it was greyed out and unavailable. So I though..fine, it has to be formatted.. I'll just load good old Hiren's boot CD and access Partition Magic and partition all those drives that were previously in array. Well, for whatever reason, It wouldn't run... Nada... Acronis doesn't give me an option to format those unavailable drives. Shortly after, started to slip into panic mode.. I used Acronis to wipe all data on the former Raid drives.. tried everything over again..noth. Then put the 2 drives back into Array (which was my OS Drive) and the system wouldn't boot from it. So I then reset the array on 2 drives that worked as my apps and games drive.. pointed the Bios to the specific HD to boot from, and I'm back at square one here. I have not re-installed a clean install of windows 7 to a single HD (non-array). More importantly..I got a freeze while Acronis was loading.. it ain't the array, or drives, or OS, Bios setting.. it's got to be a bad board.. Very frustratd at this point. How do i take a drive out of array ..? I mean, will doing this destroy the MBR? How would I restore, format and partition the drive if my Hiren's won't run? Is it becasue I have a 64 bit processor? Stumped, frustrated, and questioning my reasons for leaving Asus as my motherboard brand of preference. And if things couldn't get any worse, the "lil woman" is pissed cause I'm paying more attention to the computer than her..

Comment

Hmm, kinda lost. Sorry, all your methods and trial error, combined with no formatting in your reply makes it very hard to understand what happened.

To undo a RAID array is very simple, shut off RAID and it will be done. Then either format both drives, or remove one and format/install on a single disk before putting back in the second disk.

Windows installer will format them just fine. I think you may have just ran into issues leaving both in after disabling the array, those programs likely told you no thinking it was still an array.

Freeze while acronis is loading can be normal, depending on what version you are trying to use and how you burnt it. Stick with windows format, or use DOS on hirens. You could also just use diskpart or diskpar.

AHCI Setting will also cause issues with Hirens, as do SATA Drives in general so you may not be able to use the CD and would have to get the bootable partition magic disk alone, or download diskpart/diskpar and use that to format

Comment

Obtained a more recent version of Hiren's. I would not see my USB mouse for some reason.. so after many frustrating attempts with using just the keyboard.. I finally gave up and dug up an old ps2 mouse I kept as backup. (Being a pack rat does come in handy at times). I formatted (NTSF) and partitions every drive I had (excpet one). Windows had an issue with the version of NTFS Hiren's did, so I formatted under Windows install options. I pulled every drive, except one clean, formatted and partitioned Raptor and 2 external USB drives I use to store stuff. I will be giving the system time to see if it freezes up with absolute minimal apps installed. (only thing the system has the bare minimum right now. No other peripherals, and as stated before, just 1 internal HD. All I have installed are the Mobo drives (sata, realtek audio driver, usb..etc) as well as my video card drivers. I will install my firewall and anti-virus: just don't feel comfortable without those two installed. Aften no freeze-ups (after a few days), I will move on by adding one drive at a time. If I left out anything specific you'd like to know.. by all means.. tell me.
          Will keep you posted.

Comment

So all is working properly now that you got it all figured out, at least for now then right?

If so great, let us know how things go after a few days

Comment

Hmmm, reminded men of my problem, only I don't have raid or any strange hdd settings. But there are similarities between your setup and mine.

http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/p55-...problem-36851/

Comment

Well, after about three weeks, I think I can safely say my problems are behind me. There have been zero freeze-ups, hangs or stutters. System is running smoothly and i am slowly re-installing my apps as the need arises. I want to take the time to thank everyone involved who kindly gave thier time, expertise or suggestions in resolving the issue.

Comment

Great to hear!

So what was the problematic item?

Comment

Lol.. I knew this was coming as a question.. Well.. 1 of two things.. either the Raid array.. or..most likely a hot swappable hard drive that wasn't pushed in correctly. If the dta and/or power wasn't getting to the hard drive, that would probably account for the lock-ups. Boy, always check the most mundate and simplest possibilities: they are usually the source of the problem

Comment

Haha! Well I went back and looked, since I was unsure how it was solved, and didn't find an answer :)

Well at least it is working for you now! You going back to RAID or not just yet?

Comment

Working...
                      X