Random freeze-up on Gigabyte P55A-UD4P

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random freeze-up on Gigabyte P55A-UD4P

I am getting random stutters and freeze-ups on my system. they can last up to
    5 minutes (beyond that I re-boot. There is no apparent pattern. Some times I
    am doing nothing, other times I could be working on various apps or gaming.
    This is a new home built system with a fresh install of Winodws 7 (64) The
    only think kept for previous system are the hard and DVD drives, and the
    graphics card. (See below for system stats). I have searched extensively and
    I see no common fact that could lead me to anything in particular.
    -I have updated my video card, motherboard drivers.
    -All other Mobo drivers are up to date (Sata, USB, Raid, etc).
    -I have run memtest, Everest to test motherboard, hard drives, cpu and DDR
    Ram.. no issues there.
    -Checked within Admistrative tools - Event viewer to see if any alerts or
    critical errors happen at the time of these freezes.. nothing in common shows
    up.
    -I have order another set of ram (would of needed it anyways as I wanted to
    upgrade to a total of 8 GB). I will remove the existing set with the new ones
    (exactly the same brand, tpye etc as the old set), to see if that makes any
    difference.
    Just today, to my surprise (and horror) during POST, my system froze for
    about 40 seconds, then resumes on it's merry way. This would indicate it
    isn't an OS problem, but hardware related. But there were no POST beepings
    associated with any issues during POST. The only thing that I have not tried
    is to remove the RAID 0 array and try to re-install without a RAID setup..
    Otherwise I am at a loss... Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    System Specs:
    PSU: Corsair 850TX
    MoBo: Gigabyte P55A-UD4P ATX LGA1156 P55
    CPU: Intel Core i5 750 Quad Core Processor Lynnfield LGA1156 2.66GHZ 8MB
    Ram: Corsair XMS3 CMX4GX3M2A1600C7 4GB DDR3 2X2GB DDR3-1600 CL Hard drives: 2
    x 36GB in RAID 0 array for OS.
    2 x 250 GB WD in RAID 0 array for application and Games
    1 x 250 GB WD for storage
    1 x 120 GB for storage
    2 x 1 TB external for storage / Backups
    Cooling: Corsair H50 closed circuit CPU water cooler
    Graphics Card: Nvidia 8800 GTS 320 MB with lates drivers.
    Soundcard: On board

Re: Random freeze-up on Gigabyte P55A-UD4P

The fact that you got a freeze during POST pretty much means that it's probably motherboard or HD related. I would unplug all the unnecessary HDs and see if that makes a difference. Also maybe try to install Windows on a different HD without RAID 0 without connecting any other HDs.

Comment

Hi,

I just assembled this setup:

GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD4 P55 S-1156 ATX
      INTEL CORE I5 750 2.66GHZ 8MB S-1156
      CORSAIR 4GB DDR3 XMS3 INTEL I5/I7 DOMINATOR 1600MHZ CL8 (2X2GB)
      XFX BLACK EDITION 850W MODULAR

I have no prob. and it runs smooth ;-)

But out of the box the motherboard had Bios F4, wich does not support i5-750, so i flashed to F7 no problems. Wich Bios does ur have?
      And remember to use the white sockets if u use only 2 ram modules.

best regards
      John
      GA-EP45-DS4 (rev 1.0) F9
      Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 E0 stepping
      Thermalright 120 Ultra exTreme
      G.Skill Trident 2x2GB PC2-8500 F2-8500CL5D-4GBTD
      Club 3D HD4870 (512MB)
      XFX 850w (Modular) Black Edition
      Samsung SyncMaster 245b (1920x1200)
      G.Skill Falcon SSD 128GB
      Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Comment

I'm using the F8 Bios version now.

I am pulling my hair out on this one..Tried Sisoft, memtest, Everest, tested the video card with a benchnmarking app that escapes me at the present. All the diagnosatic application that I have tried turn up negative. I have seen threads stating it's a power profile issue, a java issue (not being isntalled), a Internet Explorer issue (flash plug-in plug-in ). the other day was particularly annoying.. was freezing up all the time. Most cases, it would appear while I was surfing the net (for a solution). the page/browser would freeze-up. My mouse was still active, and i could atl-tab to different applications.. but at times I could not even do the latter as everything would lock-up.
        I went into the Bios for devine inspiration, and as mentioned earlier, on one occassion, the screen seemed to freeze during post. At times, when the Post hands of to the OS (Win 7 Ultimate, it takes longer than normal between the windows greeting logo and the sign-in page. Everything is seated properly (Ram, vid card, power connections, all drivers are up to date..(except the on-board audio card).. I am expecting a new video card (XFX HD 5850 which I will use to replace my existing video card (GTS 8800 320 MB). That is the only piece of hardware (with the exception of the hard drives) that remain from my old system. Everything else in less than a month old..(Ram, PSU, CPU, RAM, MOBO, Case and fans and water cooler heat sink (Corsair H50) ...) I really do not want to RMA the motherboard.. and a defective motherboard, in my opinion, is rather a remote possibility given all diagnostics are coming up empty. My last resort would be the only remaining thing I did not do: That is to undo the array, reinstal on a single, non-array drive that has been wiped completely clean, reinstal Win 7 Ultimate..and cross my fingers.... anyone else have a suggestion?

Comment

Are you setting the BIOS yourself, starting from Optimized defaults?

Do you have your OS RAID Array on the first two Intel SATA Ports?

Comment

The Bios settings are basic defaults with just a few items changes.. nothing done to OC, etc.

The Raid drives are on the first two sata board inputs..(0 and 1 slots). Seemed to be seated fine. They are also in Corsair's 800D swapable drive bays, but they seem to be seated okay as well..
            Last edited by MrFizzbin; 03-17-2010, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Load optimized default reboot back to the bios setup your raid save - exit, and see if you get past the POST without errors or hangs. Maybe its something you changed when you set it up. If you get the same error/hang I would check raid array and the hard drives and make sure there are no errors or MBR problems.
              • GA-X58A-UD3P v2 FH1 bios
              • i7-950 Bloomfield D0 @ 3.8GHz, 1.9v, 34/94* typical
              • Corsair H100 Liquid CPU Cooler
              • 12Gb Patriot Viper Xtreme DDR3 1600MHz LLK sieres @ 1700MHz 1.65v 8-9-8-24 1T
              • Thermaltake TR2 RX 850w 80+ PSU
              • 2x Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 6850 Crossfire
              • 4x WDC 500GB HD's 64Mb cache intel Raid0
              • 2x WDC Black 1Tb HD's 64Mb cache Marvell Raid0
              • Dual 32" Samsung HDTV's, HDMI video @120Hz
              • 2x LG BH12 BDR RW Drive
              • Cooler Master Cosmos Pure Black full tower cases
              • Logitech Z5500 5.1 Surround System

Comment

I agree, please try loading optimized again and see if this fixes things. Then reboot BACK to the BIOS and set your RAID again, then your ram voltage and then save and reboot and see if you can boot normally.

Be sure you are also using the latest BIOS, if you are unsure about flashing with a RAID Array please see my comments/method posted here

Comment

I will give your suggestions a try to exhaust all possibilities. I really don't think it is a bios issue.. there was one stall at post, and that was it. I can boot just fine. It (The freezing) seems to exhibit itself really within windows. I'm suspecting the diagnostic programs are not really detecting the problem, and the source of the problem is hardware.. key suspect is video card.. but the hard drives are not off the hook yet. The MBR is a suspect I didn't think of..I will check it out as well.

Things will happen soon as the card came in and i will be picking it up this evening. I will keep you all posted. Thanks again for your continued help. Much appreciated

Comment

Did you have any luck testing yet? Just checking in

Comment

No luck. Installed the new Video Card and I am still getting the same freezes. Going to image everything with Acronis and wipe the drives, undo the raids, re-instaling from Image. If that fails, frsh windows instal, and then will take it from there. If the fresh install with only one HD connected doesn't work, I'll try then next drive in case the other drive is at fault. If it's the same deal after I try on the second drive...It's got to be the board or mem.. Course, I will default Bios as per your suggestions.. Oh joy.. guess what I will be doing this weekend? :(

Comment

Well I would suggest a clean install really, imaging wont help you at all if it is caused by something on the software side of things. Unless you meant to try a non RAID Setup, which if that is the case it really shouldn't make a difference.

Those aren't by chance "Green" Drives you are using are they? If they are, this is likely the cause as I have seen it mentioned before.

Good luck, hope you find the cause in all your testing!

Comment

No.. The 2 drives in array for the OS are 2x36GB Raptors. 2 additional WD 250GB (7200rpm) set in array for the apps and games..
                          Didn't mention this.. as i didn't think it was relavent: I did flash my Board's Bios with @Bios.. but I did after this freezing issue started. the flash was successful. No apparent issues.
                          So I will default back the Bios, undo the RAIDS.. and just for giggles, will restore the image onto a single Raptor drive and see what happens. the freezing happens fairly regularly, so It won't be long for me to get an answer. if it soes.. fresh install of the OS. I really do pray that it isn't the Mobo, CPU or ram ....... this was all bought at different places on-line, so it will require getting RMA's, shipping out, waiting...

Comment

Ok, well at least we know that it isn't caused by green drives. Good luck with the disk testing, let us know how you get along.

If you do decide you need to RMA if things do not get worked out, before you ship anything out, please let me know and I will have a look at your settings, ect and see if we can find any other cause.

Comment

Very much appreciated! If there was a way to isolate what hardware is the culprit, that would be fantastic! But nothing I have used so far is pointing at anything. Well..here goes.. pulling the plug on the Raid arrays and going back to regular 1 drive set-up..will let you know what happens.

Comment

Working...
                              X