Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EX58-UD3R, altering bios settings causes boot failure

Ahh! That link is no good?

Why does it say Tweaktown, then link to Kingston? Anyway, link me to a direct kingston page with the model you are asking about and I will check the QVL for you to be sure.

Comment

Aha. Will try again. Datasheet pdf is here.
      Last edited by mgwenz; 04-13-2010, 08:25 PM. Reason: spelling
      --
      CPU i7-920 (D0), mild OC to 3.33Ghz
      Mobo Gigabyte EX58-UD3R rev 1.6 (bios FI)
      Cooler Noctua NH-U12P SE2
      Memory 6Gig of Corsair TR3X6G1333C9, stable at 9-9-9-24-1T (looooong story)
      PSU Antec TruPower New 750
      Storage WD Velociraptor + WD Caviar Black
      Graphics Radeon HD5850
      OSs Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate, Ubuntu Lucid beta
      (only a matter of time before switching back to Debian, and probably Arch again at some point)

Comment

Thanks!

Yes, that looks to be the same kit to me. I think the K3 at the end of the model means kit of three, so 3 sticks of KVR1333D3N9 which is in the QVL, and of course the /12GB /6GB or /3GB in retail products would mean the total amount
        Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 04-14-2010, 01:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
          Thanks!

Yes, that looks to be the same kit to me. I think the K3 at the end of the model means kit of three, so 3 sticks of KVR1333D3N9 which is in the QVL, and of course the /12GB /6GB or /3GB in retail products would mean the total amount
          Well, roll me in honey and tie me to an ant hill!
          I had left the PC completely powered down & unplugged after the usual boot failure, having tried yet another angle. Got annoyed and went to work, leaving the PC alone for 12 hours or so. Came home thinking I'll order that Kingston RAM kit, tried to power up the PC for the sheer entertainment value of watching it fail to boot, but the jolly thing started up, rebooted itself like these things do sometimes, and has been stable ever since.
          Short version, bclk at 160, 3.2GHz hitting 3.36 with Turbo, ram running at 1280/9-9-9-24-1T.
          Prime95 & Intel burn tests come up good so far.
          Have attached the current bios settings in case anyone is interested. No doubt there is a bit more tweaking to do, but this represents some happy progress.

Thank you for your help and guidance with this! Big ups.
          If the problem returns I will try the Kingston + QVL angle.
          Attached Files
          --
          Graphics Radeon HD5850
          (only a matter of time before switching back to Debian, and probably Arch again at some point)

Comment

Ahh, sounds good!

Is it still running good now?

I can help you with settings if you want, once you are sure this is resolved?

Comment

So far we're in good shape. The only change I have made is to use "normal" for cpu core voltage, and that made a huge difference in the max core temps when encoding video, prime95 etc, as warren300 more or less pointed out it would on some other thread.
              Have been through several reboots without the initial problem, so I'll let the cpu pretend it's an i7-960 until (and if) the pc decides to not boot.
              Happy days.
              --
              Graphics Radeon HD5850

Comment

Ahh ok, well I just asked because your settings you posted are far from optimal.

Let me know if you would like help later on optimizing things.

Comment

Ah, I see. Yes, I'm all for more optimizing.
                  What looks like it needs tweaking from your experience? I am happy with the extent of over-clocking, admittedly could try 3.33GHz and the full 1333Mhz for the memory.
                  --
                  Graphics Radeon HD5850

Comment

^^^ just raise your bclk slightly to give you 3.33ghz and 1333mhz ram speed,you shouldnt need to alter anything else,other than bclk/mem multi and uncore freq will be 2xram multi+1 so 8x ram multiplier is 17x uncore freq and so on..another thing i noticed in your settings you have c1e enabled?? are you hearing any mb noise like squeal? when listening to music or browsing net or in games? if so disable c1e and select balanced in windows power saving option,it will stop the noise and still throttle cpu when idle.set dram voltage to 1.66 or spec maybe 1.5v if its corsair,and set qpi/vtt voltage manually set to 1.3000 if its higher than that on auto
                    Last edited by warren300; 04-16-2010, 06:21 PM.
                    Gigabyte ex58-ud5 f12 bios
                    Intel i7 920 d0 @3.8ghz 24/7-normal cpu voltage 1.18750v/c1e/turbo/multi threading enabled
                    Ocz reaper DDR3 PC3-14400 (1800MHz) 3x2gb (OCZ3RPR1800LV6GK) [email protected]
                    Thermolab Baram cpu cooler
                    Dual Boot
                    1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-win7 ultimate 64
                    1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-windows xp pro 32
                    Ati x1950 pro gpu
                    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
                    1050w psu
                    Nzxt lexa case
                    http://i40.tinypic.com/2z3w377.jpg <=3.8ghz overclock template

Comment

Got the dram volts under control at 1.5V, but can't find how to monitor the qpi/vtt voltage. I think nominal is 1.175V but can't find where "auto" yields either in pc health sectin of bios, or with cpu-z, hwmonitor, or sisoft sandra. Guess this mobo just won't say.
                      Will try some manual values.
                      Right! Gotta go to work for a couple of days.
                      --
                      Graphics Radeon HD5850

Comment

look in easytune/tuner/advance/voltage1 it will list all your current voltages...dont use eastune to alter voltages though as it might freeze pc,set everything in the bios just use easytune to monitor things

its the qpi/vtt-voltage you need to check
                        Gigabyte ex58-ud5 f12 bios
                        Intel i7 920 d0 @3.8ghz 24/7-normal cpu voltage 1.18750v/c1e/turbo/multi threading enabled
                        Ocz reaper DDR3 PC3-14400 (1800MHz) 3x2gb (OCZ3RPR1800LV6GK) [email protected]
                        Thermolab Baram cpu cooler
                        Dual Boot
                        1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-win7 ultimate 64
                        1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-windows xp pro 32
                        Ati x1950 pro gpu
                        Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
                        1050w psu
                        Nzxt lexa case
                        http://i40.tinypic.com/2z3w377.jpg <=3.8ghz overclock template

Comment

So did you try further yet on your own?

If so, and or not, and you need help please give us your current settings and let us know what you want to try and we will advise back.

I saw several things that are not optimal really, but wasn't sure what your intended speeds were or if you were only using for testing so I did not advise anything yet.

Comment

Have explored further and the updated short version is: BCLK 166, so cpu running at 3.33Ghz & memory at 1333Mhz/9-9-9-24.
                            Max core temps (encoding video, where it matters to me) are much lower than previously with cpu vcore at "normal" and qpi/vtt at 1.295 (closest I could get to 1.3V advised by warren300).
                            Although ET6 says "Power On" qpi/vtt is 1.435V, "Target" is 1.295V (as set in bios) so I am assuming that 1.295V is what I'm getting. Funnily enough warren300's screenshot of ET6 shows these two columns matching. Hmmm. Dunno why that is.
                            After a few tests of performance vs max core temps etc at different cpu & ram speeds, it would make sense to stay at 3.33Ghz.
                            So... have attached the current settings template.
                            Quite a bit of it is still "auto" but seems to yield the same results with qpi link speed etc set manually, as advised in other threads. Same goes for the memory timings.
                            So, any further ideas for tidying this up would be much appreciated. I have learned a lot so far!
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by mgwenz; 04-18-2010, 04:02 AM. Reason: Spelling and grammar :-\
                            --
                            Graphics Radeon HD5850

Comment

You can ignore Easytune left columns, same as the BIOS left ones. Sometimes those are what has been used previously, other times random stuff you have never set, see below images of my current columns, both sides are crazy in places :)

CRAZY! 0Mhz Power on and Target

Funny, 0nm CPU w/ No FSB

Similar to yours, some of my previous settings on left here

Try these settings, should improve performance, but you may or may not notice unless you bench

Advanced CPU Features:
                              CPU Clock Ratio ................................ [20x]
                              Intel(R) Turbo Boost Tech .................. [Enabled] (results in 3.49GHz under load)
                              CPU Cores Enabled ............................ [All]
                              CPU Multi Threading .......................... [Enabled]
                              CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) ................... [Enabled] (Hey warren300, no excess noise so left this on) << Disabled, but all up to you
                              C3/C6/C7 State Support .................... [Disabled]
                              CPU Thermal Monitor ......................... [Enabled]
                              CPU EIST Function ............................ [Enabled] << Disabled, but all up to you
                              Virtualization Technology ................... [Enabled]
                              Bi-Directional PROCHOT ..................... [Enabled]

Uncore & QPI Features:
                              QPI Link Speed .............................. auto (results in 6GHz) << Set x36 or X44 (Later may require further tweaking)
                              Uncore Frequency .......................... auto << Set x16-x18
                              Isonchronous Frequency ..................[Enabled]

Standard Clock Control:
                              Base Clock (BCLK) Control ................ [Enabled]
                              BCLK Frequency (MHz) ..................... 166 (results in cpu freq. 3.33GHz)
                              PCI Express Frequency (MHz) ........... [100]

C.I.A.2 [Disabled]

Advanced Clock Control:
                              CPU Clock Drive ..............................[800mV]
                              PCI Express Clock Drive ................... [900mV]
                              CPU Clock Skew ............................. [0ps]
                              IOH Clock Skew ............................. [0ps]

Advanced DRAM Features:
                              Performance Enhance ...................... [Turbo] (reluctant to change this in case boot-roulette results... just left it alone as per optimized defaults) Fine, or Extreme
                              System Memory Multiplier (SPD) ........ [AUTO] << Set x8
                              DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD) .......... [AUTO] (results spd 1066, but bclk scales it to 1333 logically enough) << Manual, expert, then set each channel main timings one by one

Channel A + B + C

Channel A Timing Settings:
                              ##Channel A Standard Timing Control##
                              CAS Latency Time ......................8 << Set 8 *See below comments
                              tRCD .......................................8 << Set 8
                              tRP .........................................8 << Set 8
                              tRAS .......................................20 << Set 20
                              Command Rate (CMD) ................1T <-from auto, above << Set 1T

(although when up and running, CPU-Z reports timings as 9-9-9-24-1T which is what the jedec#4 column indicates) Are you looking at the SPD tab, or the memory tab? Just wanted to be sure, SPD is just the programmings not what is being used.

About my suggestions above, you may or may not be able to use CAS8 since this is CAS9 ram. Auto or what you see on the left is not always used as mentioned above, only CPU-z Memory tab would show you what auto is giving you. If you want to use CAS8 and find you cannot, try setting 1.6-1.66 VDimm, and or more QPI/Vtt

Advanced Voltage Control:

CPU
                              Load Line Calibration ................. [Disabled] << Enabled
                              CPU Vcore ............................... normal << Set what you see in CPU-z at idle, or a bit above that until you see the same amount again at idle and same as what you had previously under load.
                              QPI/VTT Voltage 1.150v ............ 1.295 << Fine, if you overclock more can help with stability, may also be able to use less
                              CPU PLL 1.800v ....................... Auto << Set 1.8 or less

MCH/ICH
                              PCIE 1.500v ........................... Auto << Can set 1.5
                              QPI PLL 1.100v ....................... Auto << 12-1.3 will help when you overclock more
                              IOH Core 1.100v ..................... Auto << 1.14-1.2 could help stability if you game, or video edit
                              ICH I/O 1.500v ....................... Auto << Can set 1.5
                              ICH Core 1.1v ........................ Auto << Can set 1.1-1.14

DRAM
                              DRAM Voltage 1.500v .............. 1.5
                              DRAM Termination 0.750v [AUTO]
                              Ch-A Data VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
                              Ch-B Data VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
                              Ch-C Data VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
                              Ch-A Address VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
                              Ch-B Address VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
                              Ch-C Address VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]

Comment

I think we're in a good place here, after nailing down what causes this thing to fail on boot sometimes. Any change from the memory multiplier from "auto" regardless of how correct any manual timings are (cas 9 as per the ram specs) still causes the melt-down. Same for uncore frequency, where "auto" is fine but x16,17, and 18 all cause the problem. Had to go back to a cmos clear with the ol' jumper and have ended up stable again with FI bios, 3.33GHz, 1333@9-9-9-24-1T, some nice cool core temps and voltages all round matching your advised settings.
                                I call this a win... thank you for your help Lsdmeasap and warren300, you guys rock.
                                These numbers represent getting good value out of this equipment, especially regarding the boot-fail scenario. The OC might not impress the real over-clockers, but I'm doing back flips here.
                                Regards,
                                mgwenz
                                --
                                Graphics Radeon HD5850

Comment

Working...
                                X