Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EX58-UD3R, altering bios settings causes boot failure

Hello Tweaktown forum users!
    I have been "googling" and lurking on this forum for a few months, looking for possible answers to this problem. A description follows:
    This machine (details in signature) is unstable after making changes to the bios settings, in particular any from the M.I.T. page. For example, changing Performace Enhance from Turbo to Standard, or Standard to Turbo, without changing anything else will always result in the PC failing to boot. The case fans are started but immediately stop and the power light flashes on then off. The usual routine of power off, waiting, power on, try again then sets in, sometimes resulting in a bios recovery due to a bios checksum error.
    I suspected the RAM of not being compatible with this motherboard however Corsair say it is OK.
    This TR3X6G1333C9 memory kit specifies 1333MHz with 9-9-9-24, 1.5 Volts. Stock settings give me 1066MHz with 8-8-8-20. Maybe I should be happy with that while not OC'ing the CPU?
    Bios tweaking to achieve 1333 rather than 1066MHz was what broke open this problem.
    Have tried numerous bios versions.
    As you'd expect, the PC is most stable when memory "Performance Enhance" is set to standard (=not enhanced?) and C.I.A.2 is disabled, with everything else "auto" or stock.
    An overclock via BCLK to 3.33GHz (which gets us 1333MHz from the RAM) was stable for a short while.
    Also, Performance Enhance set to Turbo with C.I.A.2 at Racing does hit a fraction over 3GHz for the CPU and 1333MHz for the RAM when under load, but the boot-roulette odds are about 30% no-boot.
    Have tried various QPI/Vtt tweaks and others to no avail. No boot at all, no matter what, eventually resulting in the bios recovery. CMOS has been cleared on occasions as well.
    Have also followed the advice about using "load optimised defaults" before messing with things, but that also causes the no-boot behaviour and eventually a bios recovery.
    Have tried Easytune 6 and had the same results. Uninstalled.
    Any ideas out there?
    Last edited by mgwenz; 04-10-2010, 02:04 AM.
    --
    CPU i7-920 (D0), mild OC to 3.33Ghz
    Mobo Gigabyte EX58-UD3R rev 1.6 (bios FI)
    Cooler Noctua NH-U12P SE2
    Memory 6Gig of Corsair TR3X6G1333C9, stable at 9-9-9-24-1T (looooong story)
    PSU Antec TruPower New 750
    Storage WD Velociraptor + WD Caviar Black
    Graphics Radeon HD5850
    OSs Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate, Ubuntu Lucid beta
    (only a matter of time before switching back to Debian, and probably Arch again at some point)

Re: EX58-UD3R, altering bios settings causes boot failure

you normally always have to set ram voltage to 1.66 in bios,qpi voltage try 1.28000v and set cpu voltage on normal setting,set your ram speed/timing manually
    Gigabyte ex58-ud5 f12 bios
    Intel i7 920 d0 @3.8ghz 24/7-normal cpu voltage 1.18750v/c1e/turbo/multi threading enabled
    Ocz reaper DDR3 PC3-14400 (1800MHz) 3x2gb (OCZ3RPR1800LV6GK) [email protected]
    Thermolab Baram cpu cooler
    Dual Boot
    1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-win7 ultimate 64
    1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-windows xp pro 32
    Ati x1950 pro gpu
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    1050w psu
    Nzxt lexa case
    http://i40.tinypic.com/2z3w377.jpg <=3.8ghz overclock template

Comment

G'day warren300 and Lsdmeasap,
      Thanks for your input so far. You must have been pulling an all-nighter warren300, judging by the time of your reply!
      I have included the bios template with my settings (where different) highlighted by "<- setting".

So far, with the only careful tweaks being cpu volts "normal" and qpi/vtt volts to 1.355 approx, the machine still boots without melting down as per the first post in this thread. That in itself is real progress.
      Next goal, to achieve RAM running at 1333MHz with the rated 9-9-9-24.

Big question: RAM rated at 1.5V... might using 1.66V as recommended by warren300 be a bad thing to do next? I am mystified as to why the Corsair-stipulated 1.5V would not work, Corsair being the manufacturer and all. If "that's just the way it is", then I'll roll with it, but I'd like to know what you guys think of that.

I'm trying to lead up to this with small steps, to avoid the total melt-downs. Eventually if we can nail the memory speed I intend to push the ol' -920 to 3.33Ghz (...and pretend it's a -975.) But not yet.
      Incidentally I reckon I'm having more success since the FI bios went in.
      Attached Files
      --
      Graphics Radeon HD5850
      (only a matter of time before switching back to Debian, and probably Arch again at some point)

Comment

Try these settings for now, with no overclock which yes we can help you do later if you want.

Can you link to your exact memory page or PDF, or give us the model #? It may be fine to use a 1.5V since it is budget memory, but a little more wont hurt it either so dont be scared. For now we'll see how it does at 1.5V though.

* Before you look at these, you need to start over! You are starting with Fail Safe BIOS settings again right now, and this can cause many issues. Please load optimized and save/apply/reboot back to the BIOS then make your needed SATA/Disk settings and then move onto the rest of the settings below. *

Advanced CPU Features:
        CPU Clock Ratio ................................ [20x]
        Intel(R) Turbo Boost Tech .................. [Enabled]
        CPU Cores Enabled ............................ [All]
        CPU Multi Threading .......................... [Enabled]
        CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) ................... [Disabled] <-Enabled
        C3/C6/C7 State Support .................... [Disabled]
        CPU Thermal Monitor ......................... [Enabled]
        CPU EIST Function ............................ [Disabled] <-Enabled
        Virtualization Technology ................... [Enabled]
        Bi-Directional PROCHOT ..................... [Enabled]

Uncore & QPI Features:
        QPI Link Speed .............................. x36 <-auto, which gives x36 << Please manually set 36
        Uncore Frequency .......................... (Always 2x memory Multi or 2x +1) <-auto, gives x20=2667MHz << Please manually set this to x20-22
        Isonchronous Frequency ..................[Enabled]

Standard Clock Control:
        Base Clock (BCLK) Control ................ [Enabled] <-disabled
        BCLK Frequency (MHz) ..................... 133 by default
        PCI Express Frequency (MHz) ........... [100] <-auto << manually set 100

C.I.A.2 [Disabled]

Advanced Clock Control:
        CPU Clock Drive ..............................[800mV] <-700 default << Not default, please start over first and load optimized defaults and save/apply/reboot BACK to the BIOS and then set your SATA/Disk settings and then the rest of this
        PCI Express Clock Drive ................... [900mV] <-700 default * See Above*

CPU Clock Skew ............................. [0ps]
        IOH Clock Skew ............................. [0ps]

Advanced DRAM Features:
        Performance Enhance ...................... [Standard]
        System Memory Multiplier (SPD) ........ [AUTO] <- which gets 8.0 for 1066MHz << manually set to x10
        DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD) .......... [Manual] <-auto << Set manual/expert than set each channel MAIN timings one by one

Channel A + B + C

Channel A Timing Settings:
        ##Channel A Standard Timing Control##
        CAS Latency Time ......................9
        tRCD .......................................9
        tRP .........................................9
        tRAS .......................................20/24
        Command Rate (CMD) ................1T

Below values may be left in Auto if you like, generally this is fine. For those users who DO Set advanced timings manually, please see some of my thoughts and findings about these settings and rules here
        XtremeSystems Forums - View Single Post - Gigabyte EX58-UD5/Extreme Discussion Thread

##Channel A Advanced Timing Control##
        tRC ........................................ (Should be = tRAS + tRP or above for stability)
        tRRD .......................................
        tWTR ...................................... (Must be Write to Read Delay/Same Rank - (tWL + 4)
        tWR ........................................
        tWTP ....................................... (tWTP Must = tWR + tWL + 4)
        tWL ........................................ (tWL Must be CAS Latency -1)
        tRFC .......................................
        tRTP .......................................
        tFAW ......................................

##Channel A Misc Timing Control##
        Round Trip Latency ...................

Advanced Voltage Control:

CPU
        Load Line Calibration ................. [Disabled]
        CPU Vcore ............................... <-Normal << For stock, normal is ok so is Auto
        QPI/VTT Voltage 1.150v ............ <-manually 1.35 approx. (up from 1.175 auto) << 1.25-1.375 should be plenty
        CPU PLL 1.800v ....................... Auto

MCH/ICH
        PCIE 1.500v ........................... Auto
        QPI PLL 1.100v ....................... Auto
        IOH Core 1.100v ..................... Auto << 1.14-1.2 can help
        ICH I/O 1.500v ....................... Auto
        ICH Core 1.1v ........................ Auto

DRAM
        DRAM Voltage 1.500v .............. <-auto gets 1.5 << Manually set 1.5-1.55 (After a reboot go into PC health section and see what amount you get from what you set as it may be less)
        DRAM Termination 0.750v [AUTO]
        Ch-A Data VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
        Ch-B Data VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
        Ch-C Data VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
        Ch-A Address VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
        Ch-B Address VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
        Ch-C Address VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]

Comment

Link to memory details here.

Meanwhile will try your suggestions and will report back.
          --
          Graphics Radeon HD5850

Comment

Tried the "load optimised defaults", F10 to save & exit, and... total failure. Now stuck in the try-again loop until it eventually boots, recovers bios after "checksum error", resulting in FH bios being restored with the fail-safe defaults.
            As stated in the first post, clearing of the cmos and re-flashing bios has been tried numerous times.
            I don't think it's the cooler... same behaviour as with the stock fan. Same behaviour as with the previous case too... now in a Coolermaster 840 so there is no shortage of room for cooling etc.
            Haven't re-seated the cpu as yet, or examined the pins. That's looking like too much of a mission given that the system does in fact work under normal circumstances.
            Might bent cpu pins cause this kind of behaviour?
            Or a bad stick of RAM?
            --
            Graphics Radeon HD5850

Comment

wont it run with stock settings?? it should have run with loaded optimized defults too,could be ram setting that caused the loops until it found settings that worked
              Intel i7 920 d0 @3.8ghz 24/7-normal cpu voltage 1.18750v/c1e/turbo/multi threading enabled
              Dual Boot
              Ati x1950 pro gpu
              1050w psu
              Nzxt lexa case

Comment

Could be any of the latter things you mention, bent pins, or incompatible memory or PSU. It should not have any problems starting with optimized defaults, none at all.

Can you do a quick test for me with your memory? Do this with any settings that are currently working. Test with one stick of memory, test one at a time one stick in slot 1, 3, then 5. Physical 2, 4, then 6. If one of the slots fails to start the machine then you may have bent pins. If none of the slots work by themselves like that, then the memory may be faulty. Go ahead and repeat the test with a second stick if you find the first stick to not work in any of those three white slots as it may be a faulty stick. Do this will all 3 sticks if you can't get any of them to work, so you can rule out sticks if one or more is faulty.

It should bootup with any stick by itself in any of the white slots, if not there is a memory compatibility issue, socket pin issue, or incompatible memory.

In regards to your BIOS recover from FI to FH and having to reflash to update again. You can fix this, so that FI is in the backup as well so when it crashes it will recover FI instead of FH.

To do that, startup your machine, with FI already flashed into the BIOS of course, and press ALT + F12 at startup where you would normally press Delete to enter the BIOS. You will then see the BIOS recovery screen telling you it is recovering the BIOS, this will flash the current MAIN BIOS into the backup chip so both with have FI BIOS. Then shutdown and reboot when it is done

Comment

Righty-ho then,

Went through the tests with each stick of RAM in each white slot. Flakey boot behaviour was again observed with each stick in each position.
                  Took SATA drives out of the equation as well, incidentally.
                  Tried booting with no RAM at all, and it boots as far as it can every time! That is, the fans etc spool up but no display results, which makes sense with no RAM available I guess.
                  Hmmm. Maybe we are looking at memory compatibility after all.
                  Might CPU pins still be a possibility?
                  Easiest way forward from here would seem to be trying different RAM. $ time, perhaps.
                  --
                  Graphics Radeon HD5850

Comment

Yet more info.
                    With FH bios, have loaded optimized defaults and run memtest+ for a few hours. All 3 sticks no errors at stock 1066MHz.
                    PC currently OK with stock cpu & memory speeds but it's only a matter of time before a cold boot fails, followed by the bios recovery going on past experience.
                    --
                    Graphics Radeon HD5850

Comment

Sounds like it was a BIOS compatibility problem with your memory?

Did you flash/update Both BIOS to FH this time?

Comment

Tried multiple times to update to FI bios again, but with the usual melt-down routine. So, I wasn't able to get far enough to use the Alt-F12 trick.
                        I see that this RAM is not on Gigabyte's QVL which may explain it. Also looks like Corsair used an Asus P6T Deluxe to qualify it.
                        At this point I'm contemplating either swapping to the Asus board or purchasing one of the only two Gigabyte QVL candiates I can find here in NZ. I should have done more research before purchasing the parts.
                        Thank you for your help with this problem guys, it is much appreciated.
                        --
                        Graphics Radeon HD5850

Comment

try and get some ocz ram,i dont have any problems with mine ocz reaper
                          Dual Boot
                          Ati x1950 pro gpu
                          1050w psu
                          Nzxt lexa case

Comment

Sorry, I meant to say did you flash to FI for both chips, but I guess your reply answered that as well.

Very well could be the memory itself. If you are shopping for memory and plan to keep this board let me know where you shop at, give me a few links, and your $ limits and I can have a look if you like. Also tell me what brands you prefer, and I will look through those as well as ones I know work and give you some suggestions.

Can you get Mushkin where you live? Not trying to be a fanboy or anything but all of their kits work with Gigabyte boards now, at least the upper end ones I know for sure, as they sent in some sets a while back to the QVL team for qualification when I did my last DDR3 review on them.

Comment

Here is what I can get my hands on in NZ:
                              Technology content trusted by users all around the world :: TweakTown
                              The big question is, regardless of what Kingston's memory config machine says about compatibility, is that the same as the kit that appears on Gigabyte's QVL? Listed in the QVL as "KVR1333D3N9/2G" with remark 3 pcs, so it seems the QVL implies a 6Gig kit.
                              --
                              Graphics Radeon HD5850

Comment

Working...
                              X