Purpose of backup bios ud5?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purpose of backup bios ud5?

Perhaps asked a few times but after searching a lot pages i gave up.

Suppose I have a bad flash (on my UD5), how can I then force my 2nd bios to take over?

I asked this because -of course completely on my own account- am going to flash with a slic2.1 modified bios.... so again .. if that fails, can I then still invoke my 'good' backup-bios?

thx

Re: Purpose of backup bios ud5?

On recent Gigabyte boards there is no way (that I'm aware) to force the use of the backup BIOS. The board is supposed to switch to the backup BIOS if the first one becomes corrupted. I've never tested this though :-)
    Rackmounted Liquid Rocks!!!
    i7 920 D0 @ 4.41GHz w/
    Swiftech Apogee XT
    Gigabyte X58A-UD7
    6Gb G.Skill Trident 3 x 2Gb DDR3-2000 9-9-9-24
    2x HD5850 - 1000MHz core, 1250MHz RAM
    w/ EK full cover waterblocks
    Laing D5 vario / EK X-TOP rev. 2
    2x XSPC RX360 rad w/ 6 x Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm
    3 x Seagate 7200.11 160Gb in RAID-0
    Samsung Spinpoint F3 1Tb
    Corsair HX-850 Modular PSU
    M-Audio ProFire 2626
    Antec 4U Rackmount Case

Comment

there is no way to force it that i know but it should switch to backup bios if for any reason first one fails

i had it happen to me on a gigabyte n680I DQ6 bios failed on boot I was not updating bios at all and if i remember right it came across bottom of sceen primary bios fail atempting to recover using backup bios the it copyed backup to cmos and restarted all was fine from then on for me
      Last edited by Judge-dredd; 02-27-2010, 11:46 PM. Reason: spelling
      Intel Core i7-980X Extreme Edition Gulftown cooled By Swiftech APOGEE GTZ CPU waterblock
      Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD9 Water Cooled
      Corsair Dominator 12GB (6 x 2GB) Model CMD12GX3M6A1600C8
      2 Gigabyte GTX 480 in SLI
      6 Western Digital VelociRaptor WD1500HLFS 150GB 10000 RPM in Raid 0
      2 Plextor sata Blu_ray Drives Model PX-B320SA
      Ultra X4 1200 Watt
      Thermaltake Armor+Thermaltake Bigwater 760 IS
      Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion
      Creative Gigaworks 750S 7.1 Suround 700 watt
      Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Comment

Perhaps asked a few times but after searching a lot pages i gave up.
        Suppose I have a bad flash (on my UD5), how can I then force my 2nd bios to take over?

I asked this because -of course completely on my own account- am going to flash with a slic2.1 modified bios.... so again .. if that fails, can I then still invoke my 'good' backup-bios?
        thx
        Like the others said it should happen automatically, but there is another route.
        I remember talking to Lsdmeasap about flashing with Floppy drives. I thought it was an outdated piece of hardware and Lsdmeasap said he has a floppy always connected to his PC in order to perform a blind flash if needed. The logic I get from this is, if the primary BIOS fails and the user needs to get back to a certain BIOS version its there waiting to reflash. I am sure you can have a USB drive connected all the time as cheap insurance too but then you would need Legacy USB storage detect enabled all the time. Save a copy of your current BIOS that you can have on standby either in a floppy or USB drive...just a thought..
        Max out
        Last edited by MadMax2911; 02-28-2010, 01:27 PM. Reason: add infor
        BUILD #2 GA-EP45-DS3R [Rev1.0] BIOS Flashed F11e, CPU=INTEL Core2 Quad Q8200 Yorkfield-4M LGA 775 with Mugen2 cooler RAM= Mushkin 996599 link 2 x 2GB, Hard drive=WD 6400AAKS, DVD=HP dvd1160i OS=Win 7 SP1 64 bit Video=BFG 8800GTS OC edition CASE=Thermaltake Tsunami Dream P.S.=Antec TP3-650

Build #3 GA-EP45-UD3LR__rev 1.0__ BIOS F11, CPU Core2 Duo E8400 3.157GHz WMugen2 Cooler, Power Supply: Antec EA-500D 500 W, RAM: Corsair 2 GB Hard Drive: WD 160 GB OS: Win XP SP3 Video: MSI GTS450 2GB

Comment

I will enable my 'floppy' drive just in case. I disabled it because I don't have a floppy drive connected, but I have one or two from old pc's hanging around in some drawer :-)

Comment

Working...
          X