EP45T-DS3R lockup/bootloop/bootfreeze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EP45T-DS3R lockup/bootloop/bootfreeze

I'm going to post as much information as possible so hopefully it will help get me some answers. This was my first system build and I kinda just went with it in terms of getting things running. My problem is that I will constantly get a system lock which requires a power off. Sometimes it boots right up and I can resume. Other times, I'll power on and be stuck in a bootloop or the BIOS will simply stop. Sometimes there will be text fragments and articles over the screen which is the only visible sign indication of a problem. I can't recall when these problems started, but I don't remember them occurring too soon after initial build. I'd like to think that it's due to using 4 sticks of RAM and that partially because I don't have something set correctly.

System specs: (built August 2008)

Gigabyte EP45T-DS3R (F2 bios) Rev 1.0
    Intel E8500 Wolfdale 3.16ghz
    OCZ3P13334GK - OCZ Platinum DDR3 1333 (4x2GB)
    ATI Radeon 4870 1GB

Found the P45 template which I'm going to fill in. I imagine there's probably a host of issues with my settings as I'm really not to privy to some of these fields and their direct correlation to the :

MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)
    Robust Graphics Booster .............: Auto
    CPU Clock Ratio .....................: 9x
    Fine CPU Clock Ratio.................: 0.5
    CPU Frequency .......................: 3.16 (333 x 9.5)

Clock Chip Control
    Standard Clock Control
    CPU Host Clock Control...............: [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ............: 333 Mhz
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) .........: Auto
    C.I.A.2 .............................: [Disabled]

Advanced Clock Control [Press Enter]
    CPU Clock Drive......................: 800
    PCI Express Clock Drive..............: 900
    CPU Clock Skew (ps)..................: 0
    MCH Clock Skew (ps)..................: 0

DRAM Performance Control
    Performance Enhance..................: [Turbo]
    Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.)......: Disabled
    (G)MCH Frequency Latch...............: [Auto]
    System Memory Multiplier ............: Auto
    Memory Frequency (Mhz) ..............: 1333
    DRAM Timing Selectable ..............: [Auto]

Standard Timing Control
    CAS Latency Time.....................: 7
    tRCD ................................: 7
    tRP'.................................: 7
    tRAS.................................: 20

Advanced Timing Control
    tRRD.................................: 4
    tWTR.................................: 5
    tWR..................................: 10
    tRFC.................................: 60
    tRTP.................................: 5
    Command Rate (CMD) ..................: 0

Channel A
    Static tRead Value...................: 6
    tRD Phase0 Adjustment................: 0
    tRD Phase1 Adjustment................: 0
    tRD Phase2 Adjustment ...............: 1
    tRD Phase3 Adjustment................: 1
    Trd2rd(Different Rank)...............: 7
    Twr2wr(Different Rank)...............: 7
    Twr2rd(Different Rank)...............: 8
    Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)...............: 9

Channel B
    Static tRead Value...................: 6
    tRD Phase0 Adjustment................: 0
    tRD Phase1 Adjustment................: 0
    tRD Phase2 Adjustment ...............: 1
    tRD Phase3 Adjustment................: 1
    Trd2rd(Different Rank)...............: 7
    Twr2wr(Different Rank)...............: 7
    Twr2rd(Different Rank)...............: 8
    Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)...............: 9

Motherboard Voltage Control

CPUMCH/ICHDRAMAdvanced Settings
    Limit CPUID Max. to 3................: [Disabled]
    No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)..............: [Disabled]
    C2/C2E State Support.................: [Disabled]
    x C4/C4E State Support...............: [Disabled]
    CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ..........: [Enabled]
    CPU EIST Function....................: [Disabled]
    Virtualization Technology............: [Disabled]

Integrated Peripherals
    Legacy USB Storage Detect ...........: [Enabled]</pre>
    As I write this, I am in one of my non-boot phases (posting from laptop). Power on, single beep, nada. Power on, single beep, show mobo info, show processor info, freeze. And I could type the many different scenarios.

So, can this be fixed?

Re: EP45T-DS3R lockup/bootloop/bootfreeze

Originally posted by Koveleski View Post
    So, can this be fixed?
    One way or another, but we need to find out what the cause for this.

In the template you have posted it is not clear wether the values on the right are defaults and the actual settings is auto.
    Please enter the default values to the left of the colons, and actual values to the right of the colons.
    Example (Default value, Actual value1.225V...........: 1.2250.750V...........: Auto

A screen capture of MemSet main(click <<) and SPD(clcik spd) windows, and EasyTune Tuner->Advanced->Voltage tab may help clear up things.
    Please add your system specs to your signature, including a web link to ram specs.

Problem may be with any of the components, RAM, GPU, CPU, etc.

There are 2 newer BIOS versions than the one you have F3 and a beta F4c. It up to you if you want to upgrade or not and to which version. If you decide to flash read http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/. Only flash with one memory module installed.

Have you tried using only 2x2GB of ram in either, slots 1 & 3, or, slots 2 & 4?
    Memory issues may lead to file/file system corruption so a complete format and system re-installation may be required.

I would recommend testing eatch of the ram kits(2x2GB) with memtest86+ for 6+ passes, one kit in slots 1 & 3, and then other in slots 2 & 4.
    With one pair on memory modules installed, load BIOS optimized defaults, save & reboot, enter BIOS and make any changes nesessary like disk boot order etc. Enter BIOS M.I.T and nake the following changes:
    Performance Enhance ------------------- : [Standard]
    MCH Core ---------------- 1.100V ------ : [1.2]

Save, reboot, and run memtest86+.
    Increase MCH Core graduately up to 1.24v if you still have problems or get memory errors. Sometime less than the dafult is required so try 1.05-0.95v if more does not help.
    If both kits pass memtest86+, anstall all memory, and run memtest86+ again. Increase MCH Core up to 1.28v if still needed.

MemSet, memtest86+ and other programs can be download from http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/late...y-tools-30530/

Comment

Originally posted by Koveleski View Post
      So, can this be fixed?
      I agree with the post above, and as I have the board I agree with updating to F4c. The other BIOS are not quiet stable insofar as overclocking. I've found F4c to be, by far the most stable in reporting correct temperatures and voltages, plus it has much better memory support. I'd highly recommend updating.

[edit] another piece of advice, change
      Performance Enhance..................: [Turbo] <---- [Standard]
      Turbo has never been stable for me. (for any of the 3 different kinds of memory I've put in this board)

[edit 2] try running the memory at 1066, there are known problems with running 4 sticks at 1333 MHz. it really doesn't like doing it.
      Last edited by rumblpak; 02-23-2010, 11:26 AM.

Comment

I overcame by boards dislike of 4x1333 by updating bios, just an fyi.
        GA-EP45T-UD3LR Rev#: 1.0 - F7
        Intel Q9650 3.0GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 775
        Zalman 9700NT + 2 Synthe case fans
        G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 - http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=95 running @ 9-9-9-9-24
        EVGA 512-P3-N976-AR GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3
        OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ500MXSP 500W ATX12V V2.2
        ViewSonic vx2265wm @1680x1050 120Hz

Comment

Well, I went ahead and flashed F4c. I only have two sticks in right now and system instability seems to have increased tenfold. I've locked up about 10 times in the past 30 minutes attempting to get this screen capture posted.

I'm gonna start running the memtest as suggested.
          Attached Files

Comment

Alright. Let me find my notes.

Memtest86+ tests were ran. I tried the first two sticks in slots 1&3, while keeping the speed @ 1333mhz. It gave me errors until I had the voltage @ 1.500V and the MCH @ .240V. It cycled the tests without fail. I kept that same combination and attempted the other two sticks in slots 2&4 and they also ran with success.

At this point, I placed all four sticks in and that's when the errors started flying. I tried putting the DRAM voltage back to 1.800V, and messed around with the MCH going up and down the line with voltage charges. None of these worked with all four sticks without giving some sort of error.

On a whim, I put them down to 1066mhz|MCH 1.240V|1.500V and ran the test with all four sticks and it worked like a charm. That is... until I tried to run the system in Windows. More freezes and lockups. At this point, I removed two of the sticks and tried to run with two - but apparently the abrupt shutdowns caught up to me and C: appears to be corrupted now.

So running with just two sticks - I've put in a different HD, formatted and re-installed Win7. Unfortunately, I have to report that I am still locking up - and this time with only two sticks.

Perhaps F4c is no go with my board? I'm going to flash down to F3 and see if that brings better operating stability while waiting to see what suggestions you can give. Sorry if this seems scatterbrained - I'm just frustrated.

Edit: Clarification on 4 stick scenario.

Comment

Have you set performance Enhance standard in any of the tests?

Data corruption that is a result from bad memory/settings should not cottupt the disk phisycally.

For this ram, and certainly for 4x2GB I'd keep DRAM Voltage near specs, if not 1.8v then 1.7-1.75v at least.
              Also try more MCH Core up to 1.3v.

Comment

I'm at the point where if the memory is failing to run at 1066 @ whatever the stock voltage is, I would go ahead and request an rma for the memory. Also, if you check out ocz's forum, their technicians there have tested different memory for this board. Unfortunately, my solution was to completely replace my ocz memory, after having rma'd it twice.

I will say this about the board though. The voltage readings become more and more wrong as you go up in voltage, this is a known bug in ALL versions of the bios for this board. My recommendation is to find a stable point that runs at 1.5V but if you must run higher do NOT go above 1.76V, 1.76 is about 1.82 in actuality, I can't find the source for this but the article was from over a year ago so its a little difficult to find (they used an oscilloscope to find the voltages). Find the upper and lower bounds for your memory and stay at the LOWER bound, especially for this board.

That being said, memtest failing at rated speeds is reason enough to get an rma, and I'd recommend sending in all four sticks unless you can find two that pass at the speed you want it to run, i.e. [email protected].

[edit] After finding out that the EVP protection is 1.85V, I'd definitely recommend changing the voltage down to 1.76V and uping the tRFC to about 78, it might make things a little more stable
                <div_prefs id="div_prefs"></div_prefs>
                Last edited by rumblpak; 02-25-2010, 08:42 AM. Reason: update

Comment

Working...
                X