Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-MA770T-UD3P does not POST

I am unable to boot a newly built configuration;
    to trouble shot, I have set the mb on bench out of the case and I have removed all but power and power switch/speaker: no beep,
    all fans/led/power for drives working but I do never even access to bios display and have never heard a beep yet
    I added cpu /cpu fan no difference, fan running but no noice;
    adding vga: no noise, black screen;
    move my single memory stick between different ports, no difference, I do not access the bios/no beep

I do use the same PSU to power my old configuration with no problem;
    I tried another PSU (720W)-> no difference
    I did suspect the Mobo dead?
    returned it and got a new one, still no noice?
    The question A is: if the CPU has the problem, should the mobo still beep?
    when should I start hearing beeps

Could I be that unlucky? 2 mobo DOA seems suspicious?how can I diagnose this?
    how can I be sure if it is a mb issue?

I have now had the mobo replaced ; tried different PSU; what else could go wrong? I though CPU not well seated?
    I did it again and again probably 10 times, it can not be a shortcut as I have now the mobo outside the case, on a foam sheet
    Help!!!!
    detail config below

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    mobo: GA-MA770T-UD3P(rev. 1.1)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    graphic card : GIGABYTE >Model : gt240
    >CPU Brand : AMD >Model : phenom 2 550 dc >Speed : 3.1mhz

>Memory Brand : corsair >Type : ddr3
    >Memory Size : 2 gb as one stick >Speed : 1333
    >Power Supply : 450 W

Re: GA-MA770T-UD3P does not POST

If the CPU or the RAM is completely defective there will be no booting and no beeping. Since you already tried another PSU and the motherboard was replaced it's most likely one of the two. See if you can borrow another CPU and/or RAM stick or if you can try yours in another system.

Comment

You noticed nothing on if you have cleared cmos? Below is a PDF of your motherboard manual. Follow instructions on page 31 to clear cmos with the jumper. http://download.gigabyte.ru/manual/m...d3p_v1.1_e.pdf
      Then if that does not work try the instructions on page 25, but if you remove the battery leave it out for at least 20 minutes.
      Last edited by artdrivers; 02-21-2010, 05:26 PM.
      http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ench-test.html
      http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/FileList...ios_qflash.pdf
      Phenom II 945 @ 3.2Ghz w/Thermaltake Big Typhoon Pro 14 CPU Cooler
      Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H rev.1.1 F11
      Sapphire 3870HD / 100225L / 512MB / ddr4
      4GB / Kingston / KHX8500D2K2/2GN / 5-5-5-18 / 1066Mhz
      (2) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA RAID-0
      (1) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA AHCI
      (2) IDE's 1 8XdualDVDRW 1 52x32x52x CDRW
      Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
      Mid size ATX case with show through panel
      2) 80x80 front fans (1) 120x120 rear fan and small nb fan
      Microsoft comfort curve USB keyboard 2000 ver.1.0
      Logitech G500 USB mouse
      Monitor: CMV937A
      7.1+2 Channel High Definition ALC889A
      Dual boot Windows 7 32bit home & Windows 7 64bit home

Comment

you know there are two power plugs on this mobo - both fitted?
        X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming
        AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
        Kingston HyperX Predator 3200 - 16GB Kit
        GV-RX570AORUS-4GD
        1x 970 SSD / 2x SSHD 1TB Seagate
        Win10x64

Comment

Originally posted by PhenomII Dude View Post
          you know there are two power plugs on this mobo - both fitted?
          Thanks, indeed both 20 pins and 4 pins (in 8 pins slot) are fitted.....

I also did reset the cmos and left the battery out for 10h before trying again once back home;No success..no beep,no video,all fan running (cpu, powe supply, GC)

I am replacing the RAM stick: I have been told I would not get any beep if either ram/cpu are damaged so will exchange the RAM and test it tomorrow.

supposed to be a great config but getting a bit tired after 3 days fighting...
          Does anyone know if this mobo stay on boot silent when no memory is inserted?

If not, as I have never heard a sound even in this case, my cpu is to blame

I tested this evening with a brand new PSU so I can now be sure this is not the issue...

Thanks all for your suggestions;
          will keep you informed

PS:
          Phenom II Dude ;
          did you have to upgrade the mobo bios before putting your CPU?
          was suggested..and not obvious to try as I can not boot!!!

Comment

When there is no RAM but all other parts are working the mobo should beep an error code

Im having the same issue (and the same mobo)

Here are some other things you might want to consider:

-Some Motherboards seem to ship with the clear CMOS jumper on, if you turned on pc without removing the jumper in advance the mobo might have been damaged

-When the Reset Switch of the case shorts the system may have no chance to get to post, remove the cable for reset sw

-If you can try your video card in a pc that is known to work, do that. If you can do the same with your mobo, do that too. One of the two might be damaged

-Sometimes the case is shorting the mobo

-remove the mobo from the case, place it on top of the mobo box or another surface that ensures there are no shorts. Clear the CMOS (again, just to be sure) connect the video card and the PSU, no drives, no ram, only the power switch from your case

-if that still doesnt do the trick, remove the CPU fan and the CPU, check if the thermal compound did not get onto any pins. Reseat the CPU and CPU fan. Turn on the power

If there is still no beep/post I dont know what else to try.
            I will do these steps myself now, maybe it works. I dont know yet :-/
            If anyone else knows what to do, please respond.

BTW: a question about the power connectors.
            Im pretty sure I connected them right. I have a Cooler Master Silent Pro M500 (500W) and the same mobo (GA-MA770T-UD3P)
            I plugged in the two 4 Pin 12V (=> 8 Pin ATX 12V)
            and the 20+4 Pin ATX connector. AFAIK the 4 Pin is another 12V connector, could it be, that I only need the two 4 pin connectors for the ATX 12V slot? I dont think so, but I just want to narrow down the problem.

Comment

Thanks, feeling less lonely...
              Originally posted by CrackTheMachine View Post
              When there is no RAM but all other parts are working the mobo should beep an error code

Im having the same issue (and the same mobo)

Here are some other things you might want to consider:

-Some Motherboards seem to ship with the clear CMOS jumper on, if you turned on pc without removing the jumper in advance the mobo might have been damaged
              no jumper, was clear there
              -When the Reset Switch of the case shorts the system may have no chance to get to post, remove the cable for reset sw
              tried that as well, I have a very bare mono out of the case on a table with just cpu,ram,speaker and psu
              -If you can try your video card in a pc that is known to work, do that. If you can do the same with your mobo, do that too. One of the two might be damaged
              tried video card: was working, can not try the mobo
              -Sometimes the case is shorting the mobo
              -remove the mobo from the case, place it on top of the mobo box or another surface that ensures there are no shorts. Clear the CMOS (again, just to be sure) connect the video card and the PSU, no drives, no ram, only the power switch from your case
              no chance either; I do not even get a beep when there is just mobo,power, GC on; (no CPU) but fan of GC does start...

but should I get a beep in that case? I would really like to know as this would indicate speaker or mobo is dead.....

already reseated the cpu ten times...

Comment

Originally posted by softoz View Post

If not, as I have never heard a sound even in this case, my cpu is to blame
                PS:
                Phenom II Dude ;
                did you have to upgrade the mobo bios before putting your CPU?
                was suggested..and not obvious to try as I can not boot!!!
                many modern cases (like my Armor+ MX) no longer have a speaker then it is hard to hear any beeps and such.
                my mobo came with oldish F3 bios and everything booted instantly out of the box.
                Btw, my psu got a 8 pin power plug and I am not sure your 4 pin is good enough?
                Last edited by PhenomII Dude; 02-02-2010, 03:19 PM.
                X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming
                AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
                Kingston HyperX Predator 3200 - 16GB Kit
                GV-RX570AORUS-4GD
                1x 970 SSD / 2x SSHD 1TB Seagate
                Win10x64

Comment

Originally posted by softoz View Post
                  no chance either; I do not even get a beep when there is just mobo,power, GC on; (no CPU) but fan of GC does start...
                  im terribly sorry, I did not list the CPU when writing the post, I simply forgot it. But you need at least the GC, CPU, PSU and Mobo to get any beeps as far as I can tell.

BTW: Im on my new PC now, reseating the CPU worked for me. One of the pin rows on the CPU was bent when I got the CPU out, I used a small knife with a thin blade to get them back into position. (be extremely careful though, you can easily break them and they are easily bent)
                  Maybe I damaged the pins when I pulled the CPU fan out. the thermal compound glued the CPU to the fan as if they were of one piece. When I wanted to remove the fan it ripped the CPU off the mobo. I was shocked, but it seems there was no serious damage done.
                  I then had some trouble getting the CPU off the fan but some force and a knife helped.
                  When you reseat the CPU remember to check whether there is enough thermal paste between CPU and fan.

++edit++
                  theres not much left you can try I guess, when reseating, replacing etc didnt work. I dont think both MB are damaged, unless you made some fatal mistake we dont know about that fried them both, but I dont think thats the case either. Most probably its the CPU then.
                  Just a quick note, if your 8Pin 12V ATX (CPU) wouldnt get power the mb would let the system fans spin like mad. if they spin normally there is (at least a minimum amount of) power and as long as there is no heavy load even a single 4 pin connector should let the system boot.
                  Last edited by CrackTheMachine; 02-02-2010, 09:30 PM.

Comment

I bring back the lot to the service guy of the seller tomorrow:
                    they told me most probably the bios installed does not support the cpu (too modern) and I need to upload the latest version ...something I can not do at home as I have no spare AMD cpu
                    will keep you informed!!!

Comment

Originally posted by CrackTheMachine View Post
                      im terribly sorry, I did not list the CPU when writing the post, I simply forgot it. But you need at least the GC, CPU, PSU and Mobo to get any beeps as far as I can tell.

BTW: Im on my new PC now, reseating the CPU worked for me. One of the pin rows on the CPU was bent when I got the CPU out, I used a small knife with a thin blade to get them back into position. (be extremely careful though, you can easily break them and they are easily bent)
                      Maybe I damaged the pins when I pulled the CPU fan out. the thermal compound glued the CPU to the fan as if they were of one piece. When I wanted to remove the fan it ripped the CPU off the mobo. I was shocked, but it seems there was no serious damage done.
                      I then had some trouble getting the CPU off the fan but some force and a knife helped.
                      When you reseat the CPU remember to check whether there is enough thermal paste between CPU and fan.

++edit++
                      theres not much left you can try I guess, when reseating, replacing etc didnt work. I dont think both MB are damaged, unless you made some fatal mistake we dont know about that fried them both, but I dont think thats the case either. Most probably its the CPU then.
                      Just a quick note, if your 8Pin 12V ATX (CPU) wouldnt get power the mb would let the system fans spin like mad. if they spin normally there is (at least a minimum amount of) power and as long as there is no heavy load even a single 4 pin connector should let the system boot.
                      thanks CPU pins are OK, and the fan spinning normally
                      let's wait for the bios option!

Comment

I'm having the exact same issues with this board. I tried my vid card and ram in a friends machine and they run great. I have the 20+4 power plugged in and my power supply only has another 4 pin for the 4/8 and I have that plugged in. I'm wondering is there an adapter to make it go from 4 pin to pin and if that might give it more juice. I've been fiddling with this mobo bs for weeks and am on the verge of buying a new mobo, rma'ing the junk one and selling the rma once it gets back.

Comment

Hi, in my case the CPU was the faulty bit: had to change everything before.....
                          I still suspect a crapy mobo did trigger my issue initially but I am not that certain now and still believe you should try to find an old AMD and see if you get the initial boot beep, if you do-> your cpu was dead on arrival
                          I have to say I had misplaced trust in AMD quality checks...

Comment

Working...
                          X