Help to oc E8500 on EP45-DS3L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help to oc E8500 on EP45-DS3L

Thank you for the reply and for the patience .....i understood the danger of PLL voltages the first time you told me and also i set them lower ( to a stable config ) that time too ( i did the IBT test with that voltage but after that i restarted and changed back to a boot-able "standard")......anyway heres a new config i tryed ( dont worry i wont leave it on unless you all say its ok - i just made it to ask for an opinion ); i made some modifications ( 8 multiplier lowered the PLL and termination ; MCH core 1200 - default on bios says its 1100-and DRAM voltage 2.02) .....the config is stable (orthos and IBT included )....any ideas furthermore?
    Attached Files
    [email protected] (450x8) ~ OCZ vendetta2 120mm
    EP45-DS3L F8 BIOS
    2x2gb KINGMAX DDR2 @ 5-5-5-23
    HIS 4850 1gb DDR3
    SPIRE 550w

Comment

Those look fine to me, if stable, save BIOS profile (press F11 in main BIOS screen) and you are good to experiment higher with FSB.
      Any special reason to set ICH/IO below default?
      Does the case hase a side intake fan, or anything special to cool the NB?

Comment

Ok i saved the settings .......also ive experimented with 9.5x450 (4.27gb) in same other conditions ( voltages the same ram etc etc ) - it works! therefore IBT test ( threads 2 - i set it even on high ) and orthos ( 20 min ) stable - max temp 68 ( on IBT) and on orthos some random 62-61........regarding the ICH ( no special reason just .....random experiment- is it bad, should i change it? )......still cant reach 500 ( any ideas to tweak RAM?)
        EP45-DS3L F8 BIOS
        HIS 4850 1gb DDR3
        SPIRE 550w

Comment

Don't take it all the way to 500, 10 MHz FSB at a time I'd think.
          Loosen Static tRead, 11 or 12 till you reach max possible FSB, a bit more on DRAM Voltage up to 2.1v, and MCH Core 1.2-1.28v.
          CPU/MCH Clock Skews usually needed only at high FSB but you can try 50-100ps on each (8 combinations)
          I think ICH/IO is best left at default unless it needs tweaking. This is SB settings, not sure what exactly (MCH or peripheral side).

Comment

Ok heres what i did : till 460-470 FSB it works (though not tested with IBTetc because i was sad of not reaching 500 ) -i set Tread to 12 ;DRAM voltage 2.08 ( i was afraid to put 2.1 because in my bios is with pink colour then it becomes red -sort of redline like the car`s rpm) MCH core ( 1.25-1.28 ) .....Skews i went to 150ps ( tested 50-100-150 on both CPU and RAM settings ) ........it boots hard at 470 but after that - nothing- tryed for fun 500 and it doesnt boot , though it takes a lot longer ( some improvement i think , maybe something minor i missed?)
            Right now im at my old backup ( 4.2 -9.5x450) which goes ok ( maybe i cant reach 500 , FSB gap or somthin? if so 450 will do , though a bit sad seeing others 500x8 , and i was wondering what to do to optimise RAM )
            Cooling problem i dont have , i have a 120mm fan that runs at full speed all the time; i have stable 38 celsius at idle and at full load around 60 on orthos and 65-68 on IBT (high) .......
            EP45-DS3L F8 BIOS
            HIS 4850 1gb DDR3
            SPIRE 550w

Comment

I don't recall I have seen "L" board with 500FSB.
              Other users with boards that are capable of 500FSB often choose to use less for 24/7 use.
              Not a bad deal at all, and you can still try CPU Ratio 8.5 or 9 and you get great performance for the $$$. At least that's how I look at it.

Comment

You`re right.....do you think i should improve the RAM settings ( not for 500 but for the 450 FSB i have now ) ? or just leave it like this ? if i want to make an upgrade for my cpu what motherboard should i buy ?
                EP45-DS3L F8 BIOS
                HIS 4850 1gb DDR3
                SPIRE 550w

Comment

Sure try to set lowest Static tRead possible for both channels.
                  Either try to lower timings 5-6-6-18 to 5-5-5-15 with current DDR-900, you can try the same timings with 2.40B multiplier for DDR-1080.
                  Then you can try lower tRFC if you find it give better performance.

The pink color for DRAM Voltage is just to alert you you should know what you are doing, if ram specs is 2.1v then no worries. To make sure check the actual applied voltage in PC Health Status.

I'd save the money for a new generation CPU/motherboard in the future. I realy don't think it's worth upgrading the motherboard.

Comment

Here are some results ( thank you very much for the guidance and support !!!!! ) TRD static cant go below 9 ; ram set to 5-5-5-15 (tryed 4-5-5-15 - doesnt boot).....multiplier 2.40B doesnt boot at all ......i decided that 450x8.5 is enough ( as i said im interested in high FSB rather than high frequency) .....stable 39 celsius and also IBT ok....
                    Attached Files
                    EP45-DS3L F8 BIOS
                    HIS 4850 1gb DDR3
                    SPIRE 550w

Comment

2.40B ws with 6-6-6-18 and Static tRead 10-11? If you manage it compare performance to current settings, performance not numbers in BIOS is what matters.
                      I use for memory benchmark, Everest has one built in too.

Just remember ICH/IO is below default, in case you run into problems with disks or USB devices it might be it.

EDIT: let orthos blend run 8-12 hours to make everything is ok with the settings.

Comment

Here`s what i have with current settings ( btw the multiplier is 2.00D ; theyre all D > 2.33D etc etc....only if i set it on auto then it changes to B).......i set the ICH core voltage to normal ( you were right -again - in games i was having some lag issues from mouse which is usb ...should i set the voltage higher to be even better ?)....latency seems to be my ram problem.....ideas?
                        Attached Files
                        EP45-DS3L F8 BIOS
                        HIS 4850 1gb DDR3
                        SPIRE 550w

Comment

Originally posted by alin View Post
                          only if i set it on auto then it changes to B).......
                          Set what, MCH Frequency Latch? You can leave it auto.
                          Try 2.00B also see if it enable you to lower Static tRead or give better performance.

Originally posted by alin
                          i set the ICH core voltage to normal ( you were right -again - in games i was having some lag issues from mouse which is usb ...should i set the voltage higher to be even better ?)....
                          I don't realy know, mouse lag, system stutter may be the result of unstable memory settings too. Not below default anyway.

Originally posted by alin
                          latency seems to be my ram problem.....ideas?
                          Unless you can use CAS 4, or DDR-1080, you can try to lower tRFC to 52 or even less. This will require extended stability test, 12+ hours Orthos/Prime95 blend torture.

Comment

Working...
                          X