X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GigaByte AM3 Boards LAG/Crawl when booting with MS-AHCI drivers

Originally posted by PhenomII Dude View Post
    Yep, agree, Gigabyte got pretty lazy in releasing quality AM3 bioses

And that is going to cost them. After they burned many of there loyal customers. Now they are taking there time with the X6 support. While the beta will allow you to boot and work with X6, Overclocking and features are limited. Expect to wait another 3 months for an update at minimum. I mean since December they have yet to release a finalized BIOS.

Comment

Hi,
      I have a 770TA-UD3.
      I comfirm this problem, but I explored a little bit and experienced the following:
      My motherboard lagged with AMD- or MS-AHCi driver with version F1 BIOS.
      Did it under AMD-AHCI with F2 BIOS.
      Did it under MS-AHCI with F3F BIOS, and AMD-AHCI with F3 BIOS. (AMD-AHCI & F3F doesn't crawl, but the motherboard switches off-on three times all of hdd during the shutting down of PC)
      All of another combination worked fine.
      At the moment I use MS-AHCI with F3 and works well.
      I was grim, I thought the gigabyte good choice. But my next board will be ASUS or sg else.

Comment

Have you reported the issue directly?

Please do if you have not already, they may not be aware there is an issue

Please keep in mind they will be translating your email, so keep it short and easy to understand

Comment

Thanks for reply. Your link didn't work, but I found the correct one, and
          wrote to gigabyte.
          Sorry for my English, but I thought everybody would understand it, who
          wants to.
          This story was the shortest summary of the last two and a half months.
          Now my configuration operates well (after some sleepless nights)

Problems are there to deal with...

Comment

Ahh yes, they are still updating the site domain names, sorry about that!

Your English is fine, I was just telling you they (Gigabyte) would be translating your reply most likely so best to keep it as short and simple as you could.

Comment

Hi,

Gigabyte sent to me answer:
              "Thank you for supporting GIGABYTE products. As to the question you asked, you could download the latest AHCI driver your product need from our website and try again later. CLICK HERE. Sorry if there is any inconvenience."

Nice, but I couldn't find driver involved. There is a preinstall AHCI driver from 2009 May and chipset driver from 2009 Dec.
              It would take more than a little favor to call these drivers "latest".

Comment

Sorry, I am not familiar with AMD so not sure which you would need, but I do know where to find the latest ones.

Latest AMD Drivers are here

Chipset
                Drivers & Support | GAME.AMD.COM

Catalyst, separate components, and RAID drivers
                Drivers & Support | GAME.AMD.COM

Comment

Tru. I have put toghther a few systems with gigabyte boards and this has been the problem for me in every case i built an amd based system. The latest system build I did was yesterday for my coworker and got him a corsair F60 SSD and it was pathetic that using AHCI added about 30-40 seconds extra to the boot time. I mean it has been long enough that Gigabyte should have fixed this issue but I guess they think every user just goes by default setting which is ide mode. They could easily fix this with giving an option in the bios that involves sata timeout as I have heard this fixes this problem with asus boards in one of the threads online. When I did bench the ssd it got about 50mb/s more per second then ide mode. But there is no SATA timeout option as I have seen it in some boards and they are usually set to 30-35 seconds.

But It will be hard to explain to my friend why his super fast ssd takes epically long to boot the system so I left the system in ide mode.

Although the boards are stable but I will never personally buy a gigabyte AM3 based board, I am building a 1090T based system soon and I already got a good deal on Agility 2 ssd and I am not about to use it in ide mode and loose performance.

Some people would say it is not noticeble but no one buys sandforce based ssd just to be limited by the board.

I did use the latest bios from gigbayte's website for the system, but issue was still present. I am leaning towards msi 890FXA-GD70

Comment

use the AMD AHCI driver and you boot (now) in 35 seconds to win7 log-on screen and it's not SSD!

The driver improved nicely
                    X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming
                    AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
                    Kingston HyperX Predator 3200 - 16GB Kit
                    GV-RX570AORUS-4GD
                    1x 970 SSD / 2x SSHD 1TB Seagate
                    Win10x64

Comment

well I was just mentioning it about ssd's I would like to get trim support with only ms-ahci driver supports it.

If it is not ssd it doesn't really matter, ide mode is good enough for that.

I might be wrong, is it true that the latest amd ahci driver has trim support? I was reading up a thread elsewhere where it says the 8.71 driver from amd has trim support.
                      Last edited by nkd; 07-28-2010, 12:52 AM.

Comment

The latest AMD AHCI driver does not have TRIM capability. I find that the MS AHCI driver works nearly as well as the AMD driver in Windows 7 on my MA785GMT-UD2H. I have no boot issues at all.

Comment

Working...
                        X