Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random flash back to backup BIOS on p55m-ud2

Hi all,

I built a new computer with the UD2 like a mo. ago and updated the BIOS to F5. And tonight when I started the computer it sounds weird, it's like restart itself right after I pressed it on. So I looked into the BIOS and it flash itself to the backup.

Then I restarted the computer again and this time it goes back to the main BIOS and had everything set to default. I'm not so sure why is that.

Spec.
    i5 @ 3.6 1.25V
    OCZ Gold 3G DDR3 1600
    BFG 8800GT OC 512mb
    2 SATA HDD not running raid
    2 opt. drives
    EarthWatt 500

Re: Random flash back to backup BIOS on p55m-ud2

it will do this if it finds a problem with bios setting what qpi/cpu/ram voltage are u using? are you using manual ram timings?
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

The backup will only re-flash the main BIOS if it detects corruption in the main in some way.

To clarify, you say that the original main BIOS version was F5, and on switch on it decided to flash the main form the backup. Did you verify this from the fact that the current Main BIOS version is a version before F5, ie F4, F3 or what ever? Or did you simply mean that the Main BIOS has been reset, clearing all your customisations but remaining as version F5 (just "default config")?

If it is the second situation then the backup isn't flashing the main, it is simply detecting incorrect OC settings or other custom settings that it doesn't like and is booting to failsafe defaults. This situation is usually due to serttingsd that need adjusting such as those currently set to auto, RAM volts not set to spec, incorrect timings detected via auto etc.

If it is indeed the first situation and the main BIOS is now the same as the backup BIUOS version, I would recommend a full re-flash to the latest BIOS version using QFlash. This will not touch the backup (unless major changes have occured such as QFlash revision etc) and will somply do a full block erase and re-flash of the main. Be sure before flashing to alter any options that appear so that you do not keep any DMI data etc. This will then be rebuilt on next boot. Sometimes it can be the stored DMI Pool data that is corrupt, and rebuilding it after a flash can solve the problem.
      Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
      Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
      P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
      Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
      TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
      2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
      2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
      Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
      Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
      WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
      Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
      Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
      3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
      Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Comment

Originally posted by wazza300 View Post
        it will do this if it finds a problem with bios setting what qpi/cpu/ram voltage are u using? are you using manual ram timings?
        My Vcore is manually set @ 1.25V, QTT @ Normal (should be 1.1V), and RAM @ 1.64.

Originally posted by Psycho101 View Post
        The backup will only re-flash the main BIOS if it detects corruption in the main in some way.

To clarify, you say that the original main BIOS version was F5, and on switch on it decided to flash the main form the backup. Did you verify this from the fact that the current Main BIOS version is a version before F5, ie F4, F3 or what ever? Or did you simply mean that the Main BIOS has been reset, clearing all your customisations but remaining as version F5 (just "default config")?

If it is the second situation then the backup isn't flashing the main, it is simply detecting incorrect OC settings or other custom settings that it doesn't like and is booting to failsafe defaults. This situation is usually due to serttingsd that need adjusting such as those currently set to auto, RAM volts not set to spec, incorrect timings detected via auto etc.

If it is indeed the first situation and the main BIOS is now the same as the backup BIUOS version, I would recommend a full re-flash to the latest BIOS version using QFlash. This will not touch the backup (unless major changes have occured such as QFlash revision etc) and will somply do a full block erase and re-flash of the main. Be sure before flashing to alter any options that appear so that you do not keep any DMI data etc. This will then be rebuilt on next boot. Sometimes it can be the stored DMI Pool data that is corrupt, and rebuilding it after a flash can solve the problem.
        When I first got the borad it was load with F3 on both Main and backup, then I flash the main to F5 with @BIOS at FIRST but it seems to do nothing, THEN I used Q-flash and successfully flashed it to F5.

Sometime when I get into the M.I.T it says it's overvolt and reset everything thing to default (no OC). But I can easily Load the OC back with my saved profile and everthing will work just fine.

Last night when I tried to turn it on, I can hear the optical drive loaded twice in a row (you know like the floppy disk sound except it loaded twice instead of once). When I got into the BIOS it says it's F3, which the manual said it's the backup BIOS and cannot be flashed. Then I restart my computer and log into the BIOS again and it shows it's F5 except everything is defaulted. I loaded my OC profile and everything seems to be working fine now. I ran P95 overnight and everything seems to be good. Therefore, I don't know if it's something I need to lost sleep over.

Comment

I see.

It sounds like for some reason the main BIOS had errors or the DMI Pool Data was corrupt in some way.

If it happens again, I'd reflash to F5 using QFlash just to make sure a perfect, non corrupt BIOS is present on the main chip. If it doesn't reoccur it should be safe to leave things be.
          Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
          Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
          P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
          Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
          TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
          2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
          2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
          Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
          Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
          WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
          Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
          Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
          3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
          Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Comment

Working...
          X