Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! My EP45-UD3R won't post :(

Hey guys,

Just registered because my beloved computer can't turn on anymore.

I've had the system for roughly a year running my E7200 at 3.17 Ghz. I just received a new xigma cooler and when I saw my load temp go from 80C to 40C I was happy to try more overclocking. I bumped the speed to 3.8ghz , a speed I had obtained earlier to see if it was stable. The auto vcore put the voltage around 1.3 V. I ran Prime and the workers shut off for errors.

I hit reset and it didn't post. I've been scouring this forum and resetting cmos for last 3 hours, but things like screwdriver across the jumpers, removing battery and replacing , 1 stick of memory, trying friend's stick of memory haven't worked.

The system doesn't have a speaker plugged in, so I don't know what kind of beeps i'm getting but the motherboard lights are on and it will reset about every 2 minutes (sometimes longer). The monitor is getting no signal.

Please help : I'm going crazy. The monitor light just looked like it was green so I thought it was working then i realized I had turned it off ;( It seems so wrong that i might have wrecked it all with one little unstable setting lol.

---

Nadim

Re: Help! My EP45-UD3R won't post :(

With your computer turned off:
    1. Verify that your cpu cooler is poperly installed.
    2. Unplug the AC power cable from your psu.
    3. Remove your battery from your mobo.
    4. Use a jumper block (from a hard drive or CD/DVD) and leave the clear CMOS jumper pins connected overnight.
    5. Remove the jumper block, install the mobo battery and re-connect your power cord.
    6. If your system starts, immediately go into the bios, load optimized bios settings, and then save settings and exit.
    7. Verify that your system is stable at stock settings with extended stress testing before you attempt any overclocked settings.

It sounds like your "extreme" overclock was attempted with too many AUTO settings.
    This post has recommended basic settings for stock setups.
    Follow the suggestions in the post to include detailed hardware information in your forum signature.

BIOS Flashing - A "How To ~ Qflash Guide" has excellent information for clearing your bios.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Thanks for the quick response.

Turns out I had reset the CMOS at least 10 times lol.

I remembered that when I first boughtit I couldn't boot from a PCI express . Went to best buy to pickup a PCI card and sure enough it works. Only problem is even after switching to PEG primary bootup it won't start with pci express.

I'm gonna try the card in my roomates computer to see if its fried.

Any suggestions on booting with pci-express?
      --

Nadim

Comment

Boot into the BIOS with the PCI card, select the "Load Optimized Defaults" option and hit enter. When the defaults are entered, go into the apropriate menu and change the first display device back to PEG. Now hit save and exit. as soon as the machine powers off automatically, remove the mains power by switching off the PSU or unplugging the mains lead. Do this right away.. Now remove the PCI card and replace it with your PCIE one. Turn the machine on after checking all the connections including PCIE power, VGA DSUB/DVI are secure etc. The auto detect routine should hopefully now detect your card.

If not, you may need to clear the DMI Pool Data. This is a method I've used successfully several times:

Download a copy of the latest BIOS, or if you prefer you can re-flash your current BIOS version. Use QFlash to flash the BIOS, making sure to change the "Keep DMI Data" option to No/Disabled. Now reboot and enter the BIOS again right away. Do not let the PC boot past this or it will recreate the DMI Pool with the PCI card in the machine, which you do not want. Now follow the steps in the first paragraph to load optimized defaults, change to PEG, save and exit, then turn off right away. With the PCIE card in the machine, hopefully you'll now get a picture and the DMI Pool data will be recreated.
        Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
        Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
        P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
        Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
        TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
        2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
        2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
        Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
        Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
        WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
        Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
        Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
        3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
        Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Comment

I have a feeling that will work. It just doesn't make any sense that my PCI-Express slot is toast. I reformatted before realizing that made no sense since drivers couldn't possibly be involved. Then I took the entire computer apart and left home for the holidays planning on ordering a new motherboard. Now the question becomes whether I should just order a new one or wait til I try that technique. Man what a process putting on and taking off the xigma cooler. With the fan making the 4-8 pin motherboard power connector inaccessible, and the heat sink making it hard to get the fan on, and the stupidity of the pushpin system.

What a frustrating problem.

Thanks very much for your insight though. Of everything anyone has suggested that seems the most likely to work given what I've had to do when I first got it. I think the 'clearing the DMI' part is what would get it working. I tried the first part multiple times before returning my PCI rental to bestbuy.

Nothing like a messed up system on Christmas ;)

Comment

What odds would you put on your method working given that the only thing in the entire computer that isn't working right is that PCI-Express display? It requires me to wait to buy a new motherboard and instead order a cheap PCI card. (also any suggestions for a cheap PCI card that works w/o any trouble is appreciated).

(The card is working, tried on room mate's comp)

Comment

I have no idea. It depends what's really wrong, and the only way to find that out would be to try.

The quickest option would be to set everything up outside of the case. Put the board on top of the cardboard motherboard box and add the CPU, RAM, GPU and a HDD. Connect the PSU (if its in the case move the case close enough) and power on by shorting the case power button pins or using the case switch itself.

The PCI card should definitely work, unless something else in/on the board is broken.
              P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
              2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
              3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)

Comment

1.pcie card works,just not in your mbrd and u had a prob with it when new.
                2.pci card does work in your mbrd.

Having determined those ,lets assume your mbrd is still good and its pcie slot is still good.
                problem could be power to the pcie card or the slot isnt making proper connections.

A.I dont see your pcie card or psu listed on your post maybe i missed it.
                Does it need a seperate power supply,for nvidia cards that would be like 9600gt and above.
                What is its power draw if it is getting all its pwer from the pcie slot?
                If its anyway decent it could be getting near the 75w maximum thru the slot and the psu may/may not be giving enough to the slot side with an overclocked cpu.
                Were u oclking the gx card also?
                If its on the edge for slot power the contacts may have deposots /residue on them.

B.The gx card may not be seating properly.Some cards when you tighten the screw may twist a little out of line.Some such as mine have a slight twist even when installed,but as long as there is no torgue on the slot contacts and its seated properly u should be ok.
                If you determine all those things are ok ,you should know if your mbrd express slot is "gone" or not.

80c going to 40c ,sounds a lot for even a very good cooler.

Throw your original "crap" cooler back on till everything is working,should save the akward connections

But anyway start at the beginning and eliminate everything see psycho above..test it out of the case until it works.do the psu off power button depressed thing etc as well as battery out to clear all residual mbrd power
                Last edited by kick; 12-23-2009, 05:11 PM.
                Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
                Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
                Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
                8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
                60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
                GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
                Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
                http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

I dont see your pcie card or psu listed on your post maybe i missed it.
                  Does it need a seperate power supply,for nvidia cards that would be like 9600gt and above.

The card is a 4850, the PSU is 550 raidmax that came with smilodon case. I bought a Thermaltake 550 today to try that out before i took the board apart and that didn't solve anything. The card has 1 PSU Connection.

Were u oclking the gx card also?

No the gx card wasn't overclocked. But I may have accidentally left the PCI-E frequency on Auto ( Accidentally OC'ing it and maybe destroying it)

If its on the edge for slot power the contacts may have deposots /residue on them.

This is possible : if the setting

B.The gx card may not be seating properly.Some cards when you tighten the screw may twist a little out of line.Some such as mine have a slight twist even when installed,but as long as there is no torgue on the slot contacts and its seated properly u should be ok.

I've tried it in and out 10 times. Mostly without a screw.

If you determine all those things are ok ,you should know if your mbrd express slot is "gone" or not.

So you think the slot is gone? lol. I still think I'm gonna try psycho's remedy.

80c going to 40c ,sounds a lot for even a very good cooler.

After the new overclock it loaded at 60C. Nothing wrong with that just a MUCH better cooling.

Throw your original "crap" cooler back on till everything is working,should save the akward connections

Yah that woulda been decent. Trashed it though. I think I only have one remedy left tho psycho's unless you can think of another.

But anyway start at the beginning and eliminate everything see psycho above..test it out of the case until it works.do the psu off power button depressed thing etc as well as battery out to clear all residual mbrd power

Also cleared cmos plenty o times.

Comment

There is also the "last resort" mbrd repair thing.
                    Lsd would have the link when u have tried everything else.
                    Its way back in these forums somewhere also,perhaps 6-7 months ago.
                    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
                    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
                    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
                    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
                    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
                    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
                    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
                    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

The UD3 series will lock the PCIe frequency to 100MHz when it's set to auto. Setting 100MHz isn't strictly needed, so you haven't damaged anything that way.

Also note that regardless of a card having a PCIe power connector or not, it will still draw its first 75W of power from the physical slot itself.

Any guess as to the cause is currently just that, a guess.
                      P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14

Comment

Put it back together and cleared DMI with new flash . Switched to Peg primary and shut down before DMI screen. No luck ;(

Looks like ill be ordering a new motherboard over the next two days. What's the last resort trick? OC the **** out of the PCI-express or something? lol. Now sould I get the same board, try to send it to gigabyte (bought 14 months ago) or buy a diff board?

---

Thanks all for your interest and help & Merry Christmas!

Nadim

Comment

Motherboards assembled with barebones systems carry a 3 years Warranty
                          RMA

You have plenty of time to get your board fixed.
                          P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14

Comment

I want to cry. I just bought a UD3P and set it up after paying for overnight shipping.

Guess what. SAME EXACT PROBLEM.

I've changed the PSU, I've changed the MOBO, I've changed the graphics card.

WTF!

Please someone have some insight.... (Oh and I tried DMI thing with new board)

---

EDIT : LMAO i was so upset with all the failures i was having that I forgot to plug the monitor in after deleting the DMI (mind you I still had to clear DMI in order to boot from PCI - express so i was already feeling like it was another lost cause).

SOOO my pci-express card has a picture! YAYYYY. Too bad my dvd rom died somewhere in the last week.

Would it be bad to leave same install of Vista as I installed on UD3r?
                            Last edited by tnadim; 12-29-2009, 04:28 PM.

Comment

The differences are small enough not to bother with a reinstall. Be happy with your new board. :)
                              Pro hardware technician for PC, Laptop and Sound equipment.

Comment

Working...
                              X