GA-P55-UD3R and aftermarket cpu cooler question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-P55-UD3R and aftermarket cpu cooler question

hi sorry for such the newbie question but i recently purchased a Gigabyte-P55-UD3R and was looking at aftermarket cpu coolers. It seems like the mosfet heatsinks(or whatever is right by the cpu socket on top and left-silver and blue) are getting in the way for the larger cpu coolers like the coolermaster hyper 212 plus and other various ones.

Does anyone have any suggestions for which aftermarket cpu coolers will work with this motherboard with the mosfet heatsinks attached.

And also, if there isn't any aftermarket coolers that will fit with those heatsinks attached, are those heatsinks really necessary or can you take them off?(wat are they for and is it unsafe to take them off-top versus the side one or both??). cause i would like to fit in a aftermarket cpu cooler.
    Last edited by radish; 12-14-2009, 01:44 AM.

Re: GA-P55-UD3R and aftermarket cpu cooler question

Noctua claims compatibility for NH-U12P SE2

Comment

Do not remove the heatpipe, unless you buy alternate heatsinks. Those cover the MosFets and will get VERY hot and burn with no heatsink on them.

There is many coolers that fit just fine, which are you looking at that you are unsure about?

Comment

Concerning the P55-UD3R and coolers, I have used the Noctua C12P-SE14 and it easily cleared all the ram slots, and it was pretty easy to install too

I have pics if anyone wants to see the clearance to the Ram

Comment

I agree. I've also used both the Noctua tower style (NH-U12P cooler and the top-down style (NH-C12P) and they fit perfect. So does the Thermalright TRUE. Combining a TRUE with one/two Noctua NFP-12 or the newer 140mm NF-P14 FLX may slightly beat the Noctua in cooling as long as the thermal paste is applied perfectly and the mounting is done correctly. The Noctua's (especially the NH-C12P) look nicer though. Amazing design and build quality.

Also check out the Prolimatech Megahalems. It's similar in design to the TRUE but will beat it in cooling performance by a couple of degrees +. There should be measurements posted on the manufacturers web site, especially on the more quality ones. Measure how much clearance you need to be free of the MOSFET heatsinks and the RAM slots, and compare this to the specs on the sites.

As Lsdmeasap says, definitely don't remove the MOSFET heatsinks. Also don't remove the heat pipe, as this spreads the thermal load between the MOSFET sink and the adjoining heat sink. They're very important components and must be kept cool. The NH-C12P has the added benefit of being able to cool the MOSFETS and board near the CPU socket even better because the fan will blow down onto that section.
          Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
          Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
          P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
          Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
          TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
          2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
          2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
          Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
          Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
          WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
          Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
          Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
          3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
          Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Comment

I just purchased last week a Gigabyte-P55-UD3R, an i5-750 and the Coolermaster hyper 212 plus. No issues went on like a charm and temps are in the high 20's, low 30's when idle.

Comment

Working...
            X