New HDD showing as Slave

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New HDD showing as Slave

Just bought another Raptor X 150gb to raid 0 with my other one, and when I installed it it comes up as slave in bios. Does this matter for raiding or does it not effect anything? If it does how do I change it so the new Raptor shows as a Master drive as well. Thanks.

GA-EX38-DS4 is the motherboard.

Re: New HDD showing as Slave

If you want to setup RAID be sure to put your drives into SATA2_0 and SATA2_1 (Yellow)

You can ignore any settings/labels you see in the Standard CMOS page, and these never need adjustments either so do not change anything.

If you need help with setting up your BIOS for RAID let me know

Comment

Thanks. Got it all set up and running yesterday been doing great.

Comment

As part of an on going legacy requirement, even though all SATA ports are seperate, most BIOS's still need Master/Slave assignments etc. This is now all handled by the BIOS rather than setting jumpers. Even BIOS's that don't mention Master/Slave use this technique, they just hide it from you.

Master and Slave assignment is happily now nothing for an end user to worry about. You can go ahead and create your RAID with confidence.

As Lsd says, best to use ports 0 and 1. One reason is that some obscure programs, drives and FW's complain if these ports or other sequential ports aren't used. Another reason is if you start filling up the ICH at random you may want to add a further array later and have to swap things around to free up adjacent ports. As you may know, doing this will break your current array.
        Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
        Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
        P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
        Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
        TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
        2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
        2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
        Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
        Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
        WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
        Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
        Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
        3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
        Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Comment

Great to hear all is well!

Psycho, you have great knowledge man, always posting such informative posts! Thanks

Comment

This forum's been a great source of a lot of knowledge for me. I feel that not only should one take knowledge but if capable, give it back. It is also a good and friendly atmosphere here, making it a pleasure to post. From first time PC users to the experienced, this is the only forum I've posted in where 99.9% of members are kind and courteous. As you know, "geek land" can be littered with immature plebs who love setting people off. There's none of that here, which is a rare occurance.

For a real life representation of what I mean by this and the word pleb, you only have to visit the steam forum. Some users with over 1000 posts seem to have garnered that count by being deliberately obnoxious. How on earth taking the p15s out of someones PC specs can help them solve a gaming problem is beyond me....
            Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
            Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
            P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
            Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
            TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
            2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
            2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
            Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
            Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
            WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
            Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
            Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
            3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
            Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Comment

Ya, I know what you mean as I know plenty of places were users should not even be allowed to speak due to the garbage that spews out.

Glad you find it nice to post here, I do appreciate all your help, as I am sure our members do as well. Some people may think it is easy to help around here, and really it is not sometimes due to the shear number of support questions. Thanks for sticking with it, I know it is hard and I appreciate your help very much!

Comment

Working...
              X