EX85-UD5: drives not detected in BIOS setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EX85-UD5: drives not detected in BIOS setup

I've flashed the latest BIOS from the thread and I'm applying an overclocking profile from a USB stick

That works fine but now I can't select a drive to boot from, my hard drives are not appearing in the set Boot Priority menu

Before I hit the Reset BIOS button at the rear of the motherboard, cautious, has anyone seen this or any ideas please?

Peter

Normally with BIOS on optimised defaults, my IDE and USB drives are listed as discovered in BIOS setup

My boot drive (and another drive on another IDE channel) is on channel 5 for some reason - but normally the IDE drives are working fine like this

After applying an overclocking profile I see only the USB stick (used to apply a profile) - but no other drives to select to boot from
    Intel Core i7 920 D0 Stepping 2.66Ghz @ 4.00GHz
    Gigabyte EX58-UD5 Intel X58 Motherboard
    OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 PC3-12800C8 1600MHz
    BFG GeForce 285 GTX 195.62 WHQL drivers
    Asus D2X Xonar soundcard
    Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
    Corsair HX 1000W
    MSFFB2 native drivers
    TIR5 Final B drivers

Re: EX85-UD5: drives not detected in BIOS setup

First of all, do not apply any overclock profile from a previous BIOS onto a new BIOS. Load optimized defaults, then save and apply and reboot back to the BIOS. Then you will need to manually tweak and find new overclock settings per this BIOS as they all differ and could need more or less of any given voltage or setting, and may also have new settings not available in previous BIOSes, which is why you should not use old saved profiles on a new BIOS

This is likely the cause of your issue. Also be sure you set your SATA Settings in Integrated peripherals properly before going into the Hard Disk Boot menu. If you use RAID, then you will need to set RAID in advanced [age, then save and apply and reboot back to the BIOS, then you will find your array in the disk priority list

Comment

First of all, do not apply any overclock profile from a previous BIOS onto a new BIOS.

I checked with support at overclockers.co.uk who supplied the guaranteed overclocked bundle, support there tells me that I can flash to the latest BIOS and their profile will work with the latest BIOS

The drives are not being found by BIOS so I cannot boot from my normal boot drive

Load optimized defaults, then save and apply and reboot back to the BIOS. Then you will need to manually tweak and find new overclock settings per this BIOS as they all differ and could need more or less of any given voltage or setting, and may also have new settings not available in previous BIOSes, which is why you should not use old saved profiles on a new BIOS

Thanks lsd. I do get a 'Voltages have been changed, cannot proceed' error (shot below) but I expect that because the OCUK profile does change voltages and frequencies

you should not use old saved profiles on a new BIOS

Generally yes one shouldn't, at least not without getting advice from say overclockers.co.uk who created the overclocked bundle in the first place

A profile is just a database of BIOS settings. They could read the settings out to me over the phone or sent them in a template by mail - but that's why we have profiles

In this system my drives were detected while the BIOS was running the same profile I received form OCUK, the backup overclocked profile. Now they're not being detected

Does anyone know if a BIOS profile writes over a default profile in all settings, or does it do something like replace all cat words with dog - selective replacing or writing over, that's what I would like to know

Then if profiles write over all parameters/settings, I'll know that the latest BIOS is doing something

Which BIOS was current when I got the system in May last I wonder, shipped to me 28th May 2009. Then I can replace the current BIOS with that original BIOS and everything should work again at 4GHz

be sure you set your SATA Settings in Integrated peripherals properly before going into the Hard Disk Boot menu. If you use RAID, then you will need to set RAID in advanced [age, then save and apply and reboot back to the BIOS, then you will find your array in the disk priority list

I don't run SATA drives, only IDE and USB: and you can see in the shot above that BIOS does identify the hard drives IDE and USB in the default BIOS profile. Load an overclocked profile, drives go missing

I'm wondering how an overclocking profile could cause IDE and some external USB drives to be unidentified by BIOS, whereas the USB stick/drive connected directly to the motherboard is discovered

Peter

Asus D2X Xonar soundcard
      Corsair HX 1000W
      MSFFB2 native drivers
      TIR5 Final B drivers

Comment

Who do you want to listen to? You asked for my help, but then seem to want to tell me no, like they know more than I do?

Do not use old profiles with new BIOSes, this should be obvious to anyone. As I said there are always many changes and even new settings added, just take it from me as I help with/use Gigabyte daily. Their job is to build and sell hardware, not support, so they may just be quick to tell you this so you will stop asking them.

Trust me, do not use old profiles with new BIOS, it's just that simple. Just because they created the profile or system means absolutely nothing. They tested those settings with your system when it had xx BIOS on it, which is not there now. This profile may have not even been used on your system, they may be giving you a "Generic" Profile they use for all which would not be correct for your CPU as they all differ. I suspect this is just s general profile anyway, meaning even if you went back to the old version of BIOS it may or may not work.

Just let me help you set your settings and you will be good to go

I told you in above why your drives are not showing up. Stop using the profile they sent you, load optimized and then set the things I said above. If you need help with your SATA Settings let me know, and tell me where you have your drives connected (Port # and color) and what you were using before RAID/AHCI/IDE and I will tell you what you need to set.

There is hidden settings, which can vary from BIOS to BIOS as well. So yet another reason this is not a good idea.

That's enough on that :) .....................

All settings are overwritten, if the same or not, they are again written in.

Ya, that image means incorrect settings or overclock was applied and failed and defaults will be used until you set correct settings.

Since you use IDE hard drive then all you need to do is be sure that settings is enabled >>

Integrated Peripherals

Intel Controller (Blue Ports)
        SATA RAID/AHCI Mode (Intel ICH10R Southbridge) ............. IDE
        SATA Port0-3 Native Mode ................................... Enabled (or Disabled, both will work)

Gigabyte/J.Micron Controller (White Ports and IDE Controller)
        Onboard SATA/IDE Device (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) ............. Enabled
        Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) ........... IDE

Then again as mentioned above, reboot back to BIOS then go into Hard Disk Priority and move your IDE Drive to the top of the list

That is a lot of drives, all IDE? Just wondering, anyway I would bet the right one is not at the top of the list when you are loading a profile or setting things yourself. Try it again like I described.

For now, all your issues are with booting correct and not really with overclocking? You could simply go back to a F8 BIOS one of those should be easier for you to setup boot-wise as I do know they changed some things in the F9 series per the IDE/Gigabyte controller settings.

And again, I can easily help you get 4Ghz or more, no need to worry really about any overclocking profile anyway.

Comment

You asked for my help, but then seem to want to tell me no, like they know more than I do?

Not at all lsd, I don't know more than you do and I am listening I promise and very grateful for your help. I'm seeing two angles (bad profile, no boot-to-dvd) and I'm covering them

Do not use old profiles with new BIOSes, this should be obvious to anyone.

Usually yes, I took the trouble to contact OCUK support though, who told me that the updated BIOS won't make any difference. I listen to them of course as I got the bundle from them, but they can't cover every case and this is where you come in :)

As I said there are always many changes and even new settings added, just take it from me as I help with/use Gigabyte daily. Their job is to build and sell hardware, not support, so they may just be quick to tell you this so you will stop asking them.

Good thinking, ok I've got it now.

Trust me, do not use old profiles with new BIOS, it's just that simple. Just because they created the profile or system means absolutely nothing. They tested those settings with your system when it had xx BIOS on it, which is not there now. This profile may have not even been used on your system, they may be giving you a "Generic" Profile they use for all which would not be correct for your CPU as they all differ. I suspect this is just s general profile anyway, meaning even if you went back to the old version of BIOS it may or may not work.

Just let me help you set your settings and you will be good to go

Yep I'm there and relinquishing all other lines of enquiry :)

I told you in above why your drives are not showing up. Stop using the profile they sent you, load optimized and then set the things I said above. If you need help with your SATA Settings let me know, and tell me where you have your drives connected (Port # and color) and what you were using before RAID/AHCI/IDE and I will tell you what you need to set.

Yes I'm on the optimised profile now, shot of how my IDE drives below. You've mentioned SATA drives but I do not use them they are the work of the Devil :)

There is hidden settings, which can vary from BIOS to BIOS as well. So yet another reason this is not a good idea.

Ahah I'm getting the full picture now, many thanks lsd

All settings are overwritten, if the same or not, they are again written in.

Ahah2 so that's why you're thinking that the OCUK profile may be causing trouble, got it now

Ya, that image means incorrect settings or overclock was applied and failed and defaults will be used until you set correct settings.

Yes bad voltages I suspect, going by an error message

Since you use IDE hard drive then all you need to do is be sure that settings is enabled >>

Integrated Peripherals

SATA Port0-3 Native Mode ................................... Enabled (or Disabled, both will work)

Gigabyte/J.Micron Controller (White Ports and IDE Controller)
          Onboard SATA/IDE Device (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) ............. Enabled
          Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) ........... IDE

Then again as mentioned above, reboot back to BIOS then go into Hard Disk Priority and move your IDE Drive to the top of the list

Printing this out thanks, for a settings session next

That is a lot of drives, all IDE? Just wondering, anyway I would bet the right one is not at the top of the list when you are loading a profile or setting things yourself. Try it again like I described.

Two IDE hard drives each with two partitions, smallish, had them for years and then one small/two large USB external drives for Acronis backups and for Steam games and wotnot

For now, all your issues are with booting correct and not really with overclocking? You could simply go back to a F8 BIOS one of those should be easier for you to setup boot-wise as I do know they changed some things in the F9 series per the IDE/Gigabyte controller settings.

I can run the optimised BIOS defaults and boot ok, or I can run the 4GHz profile and then I get the NTLDR error message, seems to confirm your thoughts about changes having been made to IDE controllers

And again, I can easily help you get 4Ghz or more, no need to worry really about any overclocking profile anyway.

Thanks again lsd I'll stick with you and give you feedback on my findings after following your notes, much appreciated is your continued support. Fresh case then :)

Peter
          Asus D2X Xonar soundcard
          Corsair HX 1000W
          MSFFB2 native drivers
          TIR5 Final B drivers

Comment

I've set up as per your instructions above lsd, just one thing different to report-

Where you have

Integrated Peripherals

I have slightly different options

SATA RAID/AHCI mode with subpage options Disabled/RAID/AHCI (nowhere to set IDE I mean, as you instructed)

I've disabled SATA Port0-3 Native Mode

Onboard SATA/IDE Device now enabled

With Onboard SATA/IDE Device set to IDE

Will you need a completed template for setting ratios voltages frequencies etc for 4GHz?

We've got as far as:-
            F7 BIOS
            Optimised BIOS settings profile (2.66Ghz etc)
            IDE devices and USB devices all detected and working

lsd I notice that the overclocked profile is no longer available in the F12 screen. I would have thought that the profile would be persistent - I'm reminded that the OCUK profile disappeared too, the first time I looked for it. I haven't drained the CMOS battery or anything, is there someting I should do to save the loaded list of profiles?

Thanks again sir this is like mountain rescue. No not the St Bernard dog with the barrel of rum mountain rescue but the one with the helicopter and the dynamite :)

Peter
            Asus D2X Xonar soundcard
            Corsair HX 1000W
            MSFFB2 native drivers
            TIR5 Final B drivers

Comment

HAHA, SATA Drives are not the work of the devil and you really should get you one your OS will perform much faster!

Yes, please start with optimized defaults on the new BIOS, so your system is usable. Then give me your full settings and I will advise back for 4Ghz. If you want to see what's up with your disk settings, check and see what optimized is now setting for disk settings.

Comment

SATA drives are now a modern necessity. Show me your fastest performing IDE drive and I will show you a low end, quite old SATA drive that will beat it in transfer rate, access time and seek time as well as in random 4K read/write. Please don't deprive yourself of the latest tech. SATA's now extremely mature with over 6 years of use under its belt.

At one time SATA was sketchy briefly, with first IDE compatibility issues, then some BIOS's with SATA 150Gbps not liking the new SATA 300Gbps drives, meaning the need for a drive jumper to set it to lie and report itself (and run ) as SATA 150. These days, and with your modern board this is a non issue.

Treat yourself to a nice cheap WD6400AAKS for Christmas. It's the first drive in the WD lineup that uses the 320GB platters making it faster than the WD5000AAKS. Your OS will seem to fly in comparison to your current disks, RAID or no RAID.

On the issue of not being able to choose boot order, I am also presented with missing drives even when using AHCI mode. Legacy IDE mode works fine though. Not tested this with IDE drives but it may work the same. The IDE port is also a JMicron controlled port I believe. JMicron are pretty crappy IMO and bugs like this wouldn't surprise me.

As you have updated the BIOS, your OC profile now needs recreating. OCUK may tell you it's fine to use but (not to be rude to them) they're talking out of their bum. To get a valid profile, simply load the profile supplied, record the values it sets in all BIOS menus and then exit the BIOS after loading Optimized Defaults. Now go back in and set the values that the profile used, save the profile (keeping the original just in case) and save and exit.

The step above is needed because every new BIOS contains changes. A BIOS profile not only backs up the settings you can see it also saves the many hidden non user settings you can't see. This means using an old profile can cause values to be set for hidden settings that the new BIOS can't handle. At the least, nothing will happen. At the worst you'll need a CMOS reset to get a bootable machine.

Personally, I like OCUK and their product range, however if there were a choice over who's advice I would put first it would be Lsdmeasap's and other forum members. Aswith other things in life, people who supply pre OC'd systems may not have the general knowledge about all the intricacies of each motherboard etc. Some people profess to be experts even though they don't know the answer to something. I doubt the tech you spoke to actualy sets up the OC'd machines. If they knew what they were doing they would have advised as I have, that you re-create the profile by loading, recording, optimizing, re-entering, saving. This is the best method.

Also note that the results OCUK got with the BIOS they used to OC may need different settings (Clocks voolts etc) on this new BIOS. that's the nature of the beast, it's happened to me. I can run with 0.720V MCH Ref on BIOS F10b, but any more recent version needs 0.700V or I'm unstable.
                Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
                Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
                P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
                Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
                TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
                2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
                2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
                Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
                Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
                WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
                Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
                Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
                3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
                Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Comment

work of the devil

Old-school thing, 10 flavours of binary :)

Peter
                  Asus D2X Xonar soundcard
                  Corsair HX 1000W
                  MSFFB2 native drivers
                  TIR5 Final B drivers

Comment

As you have updated the BIOS, your OC profile now needs recreating. OCUK may tell you it's fine to use but (not to be rude to them) they're talking out of their bum. To get a valid profile, simply load the profile supplied, record the values it sets in all BIOS menus and then exit the BIOS after loading Optimized Defaults. Now go back in and set the values that the profile used, save the profile (keeping the original just in case) and save and exit.

The step above is needed because every new BIOS contains changes. A BIOS profile not only backs up the settings you can see it also saves the many hidden non user settings you can't see. This means using an old profile can cause values to be set for hidden settings that the new BIOS can't handle. At the least, nothing will happen. At the worst you'll need a CMOS reset to get a bootable machine.

Personally, I like OCUK and their product range, however if there were a choice over who's advice I would put first it would be Lsdmeasap's and other forum members. Aswith other things in life, people who supply pre OC'd systems may not have the general knowledge about all the intricacies of each motherboard etc. Some people profess to be experts even though they don't know the answer to something. I doubt the tech you spoke to actualy sets up the OC'd machines. If they knew what they were doing they would have advised as I have, that you re-create the profile by loading, recording, optimizing, re-entering, saving. This is the best method.

Very encouraging thanks Psycho!

Yes that's what I'm going to do, optimised profile, lsd's template, tweak-cycles. Also that's a great idea thanks about noting the OCUK's profile settings and coming back here for the tweaks that will be needed. Different support staff helped me at OCUK but each of them could not have been more helpful.

This forum is where the experienced mobo/overclockers are though, very nice oasis of calm and much appreciated :)

I must say that this mobo is a delight with having BIOS profiles, many fewer panic-stations

Peter
                    Asus D2X Xonar soundcard
                    Corsair HX 1000W
                    MSFFB2 native drivers
                    TIR5 Final B drivers

Comment

That sounds like a good plan.

With regards to eSATA, post your settings for that when this problem is sorted and I know that Lsd will be able to get that going at 100% for you.

I Myself came from using 160GB IDE drives (Seagate) to first using WD 2000 JS drives then this 6400AAKS and honestly, the difference is like night and day. You will really apreciate the difference especially with the HW you have. Simply use Legacy IDE mode and you will avoid any possible bugs and misbehaviour of the drives. Use a good quality SATA cable (the Gigabyte yellow cables are awesome), plug in, and you're away. Sometimes a clear CMOS is required to get the drives to show, but that's easily dealt with. I have the case reset hooked up to the Clear CMOS pins for ease of use. Go on, treat yourself for Christmas (or even better drop a hint to the missus). Any issues and you can always come here to get them solved, but it will no doubt be issue less.
                      P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
                      2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
                      3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)

Comment

I've got a (Gigabyte's great idea) Reset BIOS button accessible from the back of the machine Psycho :) - it's mounted on the rear of the motherboard. It was after hitting that button and not-knowing about the need to Optimise Defaults right away that bad things happened (lost my overclock I mean, but I knew that when I hit the reset BIOS button)

In the shot below you can see the yellow SATA cable to the backplate, I have the eSATA long external cable too, to the big external drive. I think maybe I should have connected the trailing Molex plug to the motherboard but I had a bad experience with Molex plugs once so I dropped the eSATA connection idea. It may be resurrected by the sound of it :) Thanks!

Peter

Asus D2X Xonar soundcard
                        Corsair HX 1000W
                        MSFFB2 native drivers
                        TIR5 Final B drivers

Comment

Btw here's a better shot of the machine, I've mounted a fan in the front panel now as I'm using external drives. Good use of space and flow-through guaranteed. Ahem maybe not for a while, since I've been talking about this job to you guys I've cleaned out the fans and h/s - fluff everywhere :)

Peter

Asus D2X Xonar soundcard
                          Corsair HX 1000W
                          MSFFB2 native drivers
                          TIR5 Final B drivers

Comment

If your external HDD has a power supply of its own you will be fine with just using the SATA connector on the back plate. If it doesn't then you will indeed need to connect the Molex to it. You should have in the mobo bundle a cable that then converts the molex on the back plate into two SATA power connections.

You're lucky to be blessed with a hard wired switch. Unfortunately the UD3 series was designed and released before this became a popular practice. I did consider wiring up a push button using an old HDD jumper with the metal contacts isolated and bridged with a switch. I made it and soldered it up before becoming a memner here and hearing the suggeston to use the reset button, meaning I didn't need to open the case (I can't access the pins from the back of the case, it's a standard ATX, not EATX like yours).

I see you got the bundle with the Titan Fenrir. That's a great cooler, and easy on the budget too, for those interested in great cooling and not buying a bundle.
                            P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14

Comment

Ya I can help with eSATA once you get going. You will need to connect a molex to power it, not sure what you guys are talking or confused about over this though so don't mind me while I think out loud

If you do load the profile to write down the settings, be sure you load optimized after you are done to start over again

Comment

Working...
                              X