Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-P35-DSL3 rev 2.1 unstable using 4 memory dimms

Hi all,

I have the GA-P35-DSL3 rev 2.1 that I can't get stable using all four memory slots together. I have no problems using 1, 2, or even 3 dimms, but as soon as I add the 4th dimm, the system will lock within 20 minutes of playing any game. I use memory that is on their officially supported list - KHX8500D2K2/2GN (Kingston HyperX). I emailed Gigabyte Support and they told me almost verbatim "We can't guarantee stability on your motherboard when using all four memory slots. If you want to use 4 gb of ram - just buy 2 memory sticks of 2gb each". Absurd - I'll never buy from Gigabyte again, so hopefully someone here can point me in the right direction.

Here are the specs of my system - FYI, I run everything at stock values, no overclocking, yet. I did manually set the memory timing, but also tried the "auto" setting.

Proc: E6550 @2.33 ghz
    Memory: 4 X 1G - KHX8500D2K2/2GN - Kingston HyperX @ 1066 (5-5-5-15)
    Vid Card: ATI X1650 pro

Anyone have any ideas on how I can get this thing stable using all 4 memory slots?

Re: GA-P35-DSL3 rev 2.1 unstable using 4 memory dimms

Can't guarantee stability rither but we'll try to help you out.

If you haven't load optimized defaults yet please do, save reboot and set Performance Enhance to standard, MCH Core +0.1 and see how it goes.
    What does PC Health Status report for ram voltage? Data sheet says up to 2.2v for DDR1066 (lease confirm with the sticker on the memory). Set it manually if it isn't set right.
    Please post a screen capture of MemSet main(click >>) and SPD(click spd) windows? You can find MemSet in http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/late...30/#post284762
    If DDR is not possible to get stable DDR-800 with timings 4-4-4-12 would be a not bad alternative.

Comment

I don't understand why you're singling Gigabyte out on the issue of using all four DIMM slots. No motherboard manufacturer will guarantee stability with all 4 slots used, that's just the way it is. Since time immemorial, it's been more difficult to use all slots on the board. I was given this same advice by Intel in 1997 when using a TX based board, 32 MB of EDO RAM on SIMMS and a Pentium 166 (non MMX version). I was p155ed off too that I couldn't use 32MB worth of SIMS and had to buy a 64MB SDRAM DIMM instead. This doesn't mean Intel was to blame, it's a chipset characteristic.

You will find this universal quirk on all board manufacturers products using all chipsets from G31 to X48 to X58 etc. i7's can be tricky t get working sometimes with 12GB of RAM as 6 2GB sticks, all slots populated. The Memory controller is on the CPU itself and still there is a slight issue. I can't see there ever being any other scenario but this. To summarise it's not absured, just a PC fact. Annoying but true.

If you could please post a full BIOS template of the MIT section of your BIOS and also include things like the sub menu's for advanced timings, clock control etc I'm sure we'll be able to help in good detail. See Lsdmeasap's signature for a template that should fit your board. If none match completely, alter the settings listed to reflect what you have on your BIOS screen.

To get you started initially while you get your template up, a few things that are important in trying to get a fully populated set of RAM slots stable:

You may need more MCH Core. Stock is 1.1V. Depending on how your board refers to voltage increases set the following: If the board gives absolute values, enter "1.26V" to start off. If the Voltage increase is shown as "+0.01V" etc, then add maybe +0.2V to MCH Core. The stock 1.1V will almost certainly be no where near enough.

You may need slightly more VDIMM (RAM Voltage) than rated to get stable. A little more should be all that's needed. for example I need 2.16V to get good stability for my mild RAM OC to DDR-1093. Increase your VDIMM over the rated voltage of your RAM by the smallest amount you can. This won't do any harm at all as long as you don't go more than +0.1V over the rated spec, the lower the better of course.

Set all Primary Timings manually, set "Static tRead (in the advanced RAM menu probably) to a loose figure for testing. 11 should be loose enough to eliminate this as a problem.

If your board has RAM Multipliers that have a letter after them eg 2.00B, 2.66c etc and there is more than one version of the multi you're using, say a B version and a D version (just an example) then try the other letter. The letters refer to NorthBridge "straps" which set NB specific latencies. this can dramatically help stability.

The rerason Gigabyte didn't really help you much isn't because they're crap but because every board vendor will only give comprehensive support if your RAM is on the support list for your specific board. Any other RAM type is an unknown factor and to be honest, the RAM manufacturer should be the one giving the support in that case as it's there job to create RAM that's up to spec.

The Qualified vendor List for your board is here: GIGABYTE - Product - Motherboard - Overview - GA-P35-DS3 (rev. 2.1) look on the right hand menu and click "Memory Support List"

I hope this helps.
      Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
      Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
      P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
      Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
      TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
      2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
      2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
      Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
      Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
      WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
      Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
      Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
      3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
      Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Comment

Let me know if you need anymore advice on this, you can do it once you set the proper settings.

Comment

Sorry all - was away on business and could not respond. Attached is the template. Would love to hear suggestions!
          Attached Files

Comment

SPD info attached
            Attached Files

Comment

Check PC Health Status for applied DRAM voltage, try +0.4 DDR2 OverVoltage.
              Try looser timings like in EPP#1 profile 5-6-6-15/18.
              Try MCH OverVoltage +0.2.

Another option can be DDR-800 with timings 4-4-4-12 with 2.1-2.2v DRAM Voltage but try 5-5-5-18 first to see if you can get it to work at all.

Comment

These should work for you as they are spec settings for the ram, using 555-15 may not work for this kit as they are only tested to work at 566-15 >>

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto or Fast]
                CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [7]
                CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
                CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [333]
                PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [Auto] << Set 100
                C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
                System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [3.20]
                DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________ 5
                Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ 6
                Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______ 6
                Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 15

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 3
                Rank Write to READ Delay________ 3-4
                Write to Precharge Delay_________ 4-6
                Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 54-64
                Read to Precharge Delay__________ 3
                Static tRead Value_______________ 6-8 (7 should be fine, use this first and test 6 again later)
                Static tRead Phase Adjust________ [Auto]

CPU/PCIEX Clock Driving Control [800mV]
                CPU Clock Skew Control [normal]
                GMCH Clock Skew Control [Normal]

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
                DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.3V] << May need +0.4 since they are rated to 2.2V, but try .3 for now as it may be ok
                PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [Normal]
                FSB OverVoltage Control___ [Normal]
                (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V] << Will need +0.2-0.3
                CPU Voltage Control_______ [Normal]

Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
                No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
                CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Enabled]
                C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
                x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
                CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
                CPU EIST Function.........................: [Enabled]
                Virtualization Technology................: [Enabled]

Integrated Peripherals
                Legacy USB Storage Detect___________________[Disabled] *Note* Must be enabled to flash from USB

Comment

Have you tried any of the suggestions in my original post? It's a pretty comprehensive list of things to do to try and get everything running at full speed. There's enough info there to compose a working template from.

If it doesn't work, you may have to do what Chike says and get them going at a lower speed.

Definitely use the EPP timings of 5-6-6-15, but set them manually. I hate XMP. With it set on I'm not even stable at stock speeds. It's (in my opinion) a useless feature. If you want something doing, do it yourself as they say.
                  Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
                  Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
                  P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
                  Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
                  TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
                  2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
                  2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
                  Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
                  Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
                  WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
                  Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
                  Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
                  3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
                  Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Comment

Originally posted by Psycho101 View Post
                    Definitely use the EPP timings of 5-6-6-15, but set them manually. I hate XMP. With it set on I'm not even stable at stock speeds. It's (in my opinion) a useless feature. If you want something doing, do it yourself as they say.
                    I don't think the P35/X38/X48 BIOS even has this option, though it seem to use EPP when SMM is set to auto.

Comment

Hey guys,

Thanks for the advice/suggestions. I tried a lot of the things listed and had sporadic freezes and restarts. What really made the difference is when I applied the settings Lsdmeasap listed below. Since doing that, I haven't have a single freeze yet, and it's been going for close to 5 hours. I'm pretty sure I would have seen a freeze/restart as previously it would have occurred within 20 minutes of playing any moderately intensive game.

Appreciate the help!

Comment

Great to hear!

If you want, and have time in a few days or so, you could post your current settings again and we will see if we can help you tweak anything for better performance.

Or leave it if you like, just thought I should offer in case you would like to tinker a bit

Comment

Working...
                        X