Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-EP45-UD3P not recognizing video hardware

Hi,
    I recently updated the BIOS on my GA-EP45-UD3P (v 1.6) from the FB to the FC version. It worked for the first bootup, but after a restart, no video would appear on my BFG GeForce GTX 275 OC2 Video Card. I reset the CMOS and got video back long enough to restore the FB version of the BIOS. It restarts, boots into Windows XP just fine, but after a restart I have the same issue. NO VIDEO. Not even long enough to see the BIOS menu. The computer is booting normally as I hear the logon noises.

I've tried going back and forth between FB and FC BIOS versions, but the same issue persists. I only have this one video card so I can't swap it out with other cards, but it was working totally fine until the BIOS upgrade attempt so I know it's not a new problem with the video card. Help please :-)

Re: GA-EP45-UD3P not recognizing video hardware

Try setting "Init First Display" to "PEG" if you have no video at POST.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Comment

So after clearing CMOS it work for one boot and then doesn't?
      If you clear CMOS, go back to BIOS load Optimized defaults save and reboot, would you still have video? What I am trying to figure is does the problem accure only after saving DMI pool data.

Comment

+ 1 ^^

Comment

I set the video init to PEG. I've also been restarting a bunch to experiment and have found the following behavior:

On first boot after CMOS clear, the video seems fine. After I shutdown and startup again, there is no video even at BIOS, but machine is still booting to Windows. After a hard restart from here, the POST lights on the mobo stay on (never turn off like during a normal boot), no video and doesn't boot into windows. Then, after another hard restart, video comes BACK on and the system boots normally. Totally defies logic to me.

This cycle repeats everytime I shutdown. I have loaded optimized defaults. Also, after a successful bootup, I have to reset my dual monitors over again as if Windows has forgotten that the second monitor was ever there in the first place.

Comment

It also seems as though video won't come on unless I have disconnected the secondary monitor. I can reconnect after I get windows boots up.

Comment

Does this occur if you flash back to the older BIOS? If it does not, then it very well may be a BIOS issue and I would ask that you report it to Gigabyte support here if you don't mind >>
              GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Technical Service Zone

Comment

Aha, I was unaware you were using multi monitors.

Both NV and ATI/AMD have had a slew of problems with dual monitors including problems like yours. A mix of driver and card BIOS updates have helped but some still have problems. For example if I use HDMI fror my TV and my monitor at the same time, I get a intermittant crash, following the screens turning a funny shade of gray. According to AMD, this has been fixed.....
                P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
                2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
                3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)

Comment

If I revert to the FB version of the BIOS, I have the same exact problem. It wasn't happening before the first attempt at the BIOS upgrade however. I used @BIOS my first time and after the problems sprung up, I have been Q-Flashing from a USB drive. It seems strange that it would be a video card driver issue if the problems only began after the BIOS upgrade.

Comment

Ahh... so it sounds like it's definitely seperate from a driver issue.

Could you do me a favour? I know you've flashed the BIOS, but if you notice in the QFlash interface there is an option to Keep or Discard DMI data. Could you do a re-flash to th latest BIOS, or better still the latest beta (perfectly 100% safe to use, alpha's are dodgy, most betas are feature complete). This time pay particular attention to that DMI setting and make sure it discards the data. It could be that some find of glitch or corruption is messing with the stored DMI Pool data and causing the PCIE part of the board to crap out.

The latest beta (stable) BIOS is here: http://america.giga-byte.com/FileLis...d3p_1.6_fc.exe
                    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14

Comment

I've re-updated the BIOS to FC. During the QFlash, there's an option to keep DMI data. It was enabled so I've disabled it during this most recent flash. Still having the same issues, unfortunately.

Comment

Please try flashing back from DOS this time, using FlashSPI

Add these switches to your command line like so:
                        Code:
                        flashspi.exe gaep45ud3p.FB /c /d /e /r
                        Do note in the above command line the motherboard/BIOS name may not be exact as to what you are using, just change to match the file you have.

Going back to the old BIOS that worked before should correct this without issue. Can or have you tested your card since this started on another PC yet? Just wondering

Comment

Whenever I set the boot priority to the USB drive, after I reboot it the machine doesn't stay on longer than 30 seconds. No video, just an endless reboot cycle. I have to flash CMOS just to get to the BIOS again. This is beyond frustrating. At what point is an RMA issued for this clunker?

Comment

Then don't set any boot order in the BIOS. Use the F12 boot menu. Your USB stick is located under "Hard Drives" in this menu.

Hope this helps stop the annoyance. IMO people should always use F12. Nopoint having to mess with boot order all the time. Set boot order to HDD, CD-ROM, Disabled for priorities 1, 2 and 3. You can then boot from any other media you want by hitting F12.
                            P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14

Comment

Yes, please use F12 Boot menu to choose your USB Stick by name. First in this menu select +Hard Disk HDD, then a new screen will appear and you should see your USB Stick by name or some generic name that is obviously not your Hard Drives, choose it and it will boot to USB.

If you are trying to boot to USB bootable DOS stick and failing using this method then you likely did not make your USB Stick bootable correctly. If you need help with that let us know

Comment

Working...
                              X