IDE/SATA question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IDE/SATA question

I recently installed the GA-MA790FXT-UD5P motherboard and so far it has been great and was easy to install. I'm a newbie to Gigabyte and have used ASUS mbs for years. When I installed the new Windows 7 and ran the Windows Experience Index all my numbers were 7.3-7.6 (7.9 being tops). But my disk transfer rate was a dismal 5.9. I have a 10,000 rpm WD HD that was blazingly fast on my ASUS setup. So I poked around in BIOS and found everything defaults to IDE for the SATA ports. Why does it do this? My purpose was to switch to SATA drives for the faster speed. When I read all the complicated workarounds just to get SATA speeds it makes me want to go back to ASUS! Any thoughts would be appreciated. BTW--still getting 5.9 with all my tweaking. I tried to install the drivers post-install, but I guess I'll have to start over and do it on a fresh install. I need to set up a RAID array for working with HD video capture & editing.

GA-MA790FX-UD5P
    AMD Phenom II 955
    Corsair Dominator 4gb TW3X4G1600C9D-G
    Lian Li PC-A70F
    PC Power & Cooling Silencer 910W
    Sapphire HD480RT
    main: WD velociraptor 300gb 10000rpm SATA
    aux: 3--WD Caviar 640gb 7200rpm SATA
    Windows 7 Profession 64 bit
    Last edited by DonET; 11-19-2009, 10:40 AM. Reason: add info

Re: IDE/SATA question

I hear you on that mine is pretty much the same thing. Perhaps that's the best that a HD will do.

Comment

It must have something to do with Windows 7 because I just ran the test in Vista 64 and I got perfect 5.9s--the highest score in Vista.

Comment

Mybe bacause standards have changed since Vista came out. You can't expect to get the same score as SSD.

Comment

All mechanical HDD's will score 5.9, including RAID 0 Velociraptors.

Windows measures random reads and writes as well as sequential. To give an example, a single Velociraptor can do 4K random writes at about 3MB/s. My X25-M can do the same task at 50MB/s+, hence the much higher score. I get a 7.8 for WEI.

Do remember though that WEI is next to meaningless. They're a bunch of numbers that give no detail to the tests used. Good for looking at the back of a box to tell if software will run, but not good to say "My system is a 7.1, what's yours?"

SATA is IDE. SATA is merely a different cable type, transferring data serially rather than in parallel. Other than that and the transfer rate increases it still uses the exact same ATA-protocol calls. IDE mode is merely mentioned in BIOS to distinguish it from AHCI and RAID. You will get little if any difference in performance using AHCI and Native mode than running Legacy IDE. If running a file server using a data base program and serving upwards of 200 users then AHCI brings NCQ which boosts performance. Otherwise it makes little difference apart form maybe a small 1-5% boost in small random transfers.

You will get the exact same speeds and the exact same score on your old ASUS board.
          Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
          Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
          P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
          Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
          TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
          2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
          2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
          Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
          Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
          WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
          Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
          Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
          3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
          Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Comment

And so you know, the BIOS only calls/names it IDE, it is SATA mode all of the choices for SATA Disks.

Do you have write back cache enabled? If so disable it and test again, and then re-enable and test again. This sometimes has a negative effect on windows 7 where it should increase speeds like vista/xp it will decrease WEI scores. So likely you of course have this enabled, disable it and test again and see what I mean

Comment

Thanks guys for the lessons on SATA. I get it all now. All this stemmed from reading a forum answer on my vid capture card and I now have this forum to get my technical questions answered by people who know their stuff!

I tried the enable/disable/enable write caching but that didn't change. Found a utility from my vid card site (Intensity Pro) that says my disk speed is excellent. I've had trouble with HD vid capture from my DVR in the past, but this system I just built should handle it fine.

And you have convinced me to get the Intel X25-M SSD--thanks.
              Last edited by DonET; 11-20-2009, 09:26 AM. Reason: add line

Comment

P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
                2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
                3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)

Comment

Thanks again! I actually haven't tried the video capture with my new system. The Intensity Pro card I'm using had lousy software and would choke unless I had a RAID array. But the new software I just downloaded has supposedly got all the kinks out. I already ordered the Intel SSD--only one company has it in stock here. Once I get it all setup I'll keep you posted. May be awhile: just getting over surgery and can't lift anything and my case is heavy. Thanks again.

Comment

Cool, You'll enjoy the drive, I'm sure.

Hope you get better soon.
                    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14

Comment

Yes enjoy your new SSD!!

Comment

Working...
                      X