Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• initial setup EP45-UD3L

Greetings!

Where to start. I decided to rebuild my PC with new hardware and have been having problems since day one installing the OS.

EP45-UD3L
    quad II 9550
    2 gig ram
    2 500gig black WD sata drives in slots 0 and 1
    cd rom plugged into IDE slot

SATA mode =AHCI
    SATA port =enabled
    legacy USB =enabled

windows XP v0 slipstreamed w/sp3 (CD)

I reboot and start the OS install, all appears to be ok, windows setup,
    f6 load device drivers, load driver as requested, cooks on a little
    more, finally windows screen, install, repair, exit? I go for the new install
    and hit enter, next screen I see tells me it cannot locate the drives?
    What am I missing here?

Thanks in advance...............................

millertime101

Re: initial setup EP45-UD3L

I have installed XP with SATA IDE mode then twitched to AHCI as explained in How to enable AHCI : Windows XP Expertester maybe this will be easier.

Comment

I appreciate your help, but by the comments it doesn't look like a very
      good solution. I am sure I have missed something easy. Thanks for the
      help. Any one have this problem on first setup?

Comment

Unless your running raid there is no need to do the F6 thing during OS install. Oh my look at the time it's beer thirty...

Comment

This may help

ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Forum- How to install WinXP with HDDs in AHCI or RAID Mode without a Floppy Drive
          Z77-D3H Rev 1.1
          GA-Z77-D3H BIOS F23a mod
          Core i5 3570K @ 3.8 MHz
          Kingston HyperX Blue 9-9-9-24 @ 1.65v
          Kingston SSD AHCI Mode
          Two 1TB Seagate
          ATI 6850
          850W 80+ Gold PSU
          Air Cooling
          Windows 7 x64 SP1

Comment

Are you running RAID? Don't hit F6 if you aren't.
            <object classid="clsid: D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,0,0" id="movie" width="1" align="" height="1"><object classid="clsid: D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,0,0" width="1" height="1" id="movie" align="">
            <param name="movie" value="http://smileyhost.net/61/1.swf">
            <param name="bgcolor" value="#ffffff">
            <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" />
            <embed allowScriptAccess="always" src="http://smileyhost.net/61/1.swf" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="1" height="1" name="movie" align="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"></embed></object>
            <embed allowscriptaccess="always" src="http://smileyhost.net/61/1.swf" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" name="movie" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" width="1" align="" height="1"></object>

Comment

Originally posted by henson View Post
              Are you running RAID? Don't hit F6 if you aren't.
              <object classid="clsid: D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,0,0" id="movie" width="1" align="" height="1"><object classid="clsid: D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,0,0" width="1" height="1" id="movie" align="">
              <param name="movie" value="http://smileyhost.net/61/1.swf">
              <param name="bgcolor" value="#ffffff">
              <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" />
              <embed allowScriptAccess="always" src="http://smileyhost.net/61/1.swf" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="1" height="1" name="movie" align="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"></embed></object>
              <embed allowscriptaccess="always" src="http://smileyhost.net/61/1.swf" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" name="movie" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" width="1" align="" height="1"></object>
              I assume he's using AHCI, in which case he needs a driver for that too.

Make sure you have the correct driver. It should come as part of a zip file with a utility for creating a driver floppy disk. There are two versions, one is 32bit and the other 64bit. There is also an entirely different RAID driver if your motherboard has purple JMicron SATA ports in edition to the Intel ICH. If you're trying to use those then that would be a problem too. Definitely use the Intel ports if you aren't already.

If you can't get it working then you can slipstream the driver into your install disc. You have already slipstreamed SP3, so inserting a RAID driver should be no problem.

Chike's solution is perfectly valid and is a legitimate way to switch from IDE to AHCI. I have done it on my Windows XP image. It works just as well as having the drivers installed at install time. There's no benefit or essentialness to having AHCI mode working at install time compared to activating it later. This method sounds like a hack, but it's covered on the Microsoft Knowledge base and is ratified by MS.
              Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
              Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
              P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
              Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
              TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
              2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
              2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
              Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
              Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
              WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
              Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
              Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
              3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
              Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Comment

Psycho may be right, I didn't have to even on my raid system but it was an OEM XP disk with SP2 on it already.

Comment

I was able to get everything set up in IDE mode and have installed the
                  OS. I may look at switching to the raid config as mentioned above when
                  I get everything updated. If I set up the IHCA raid do the partions have
                  to be equal or just should the drives be the same?

Comment

The drives will need to be the same model and specs, partitions wont matter as you will be deleting everything on the drives to switch t RAID.

Comment

For RAID, as in RAID 0 striped array, you'll have to set that up in the Intel RAID BIOS first, which means the drives will be totally wiped as it sets stripe size and configures the array etc.

The work around I referred to just sets XP to use AHCI, which allows the use of Native Command Queueing and hot swapping. It's also slightly faster than the older Legacy IDE standard, though not by much and sometimes not at all.

So to clarify, RAID will need the Intel ICH RAID drivers and as Lsdmeasap said, two identical drives of the same model and max capacity. You will be fine if the drives have different firmware etc (if normal HDD's, if SSD, flash to the same). My RAID config with two WD2000JS drives went fine. One was purchased 8 months later, was a different colour and had NCQ firmware. I just disabled NCQ on the drive that had it and it went hickup free.

To continue un-RAIDed, apply the AHCI tweak (use the right reg file for the ICH type you have) and you're done. Reboot, go to BIOS right away, set AHCI then save and exit.
                      P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
                      2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
                      3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)

Comment

Originally posted by Psycho101 View Post
                        To continue un-RAIDed, apply the AHCI tweak (use the right reg file for the ICH type you have) and you're done. Reboot, go to BIOS right away, set AHCI then save and exit.
                        The method I linked is not the one with the reg file.

Comment

EP45-UD3L is only ICH10 not ICH10R
                          Z77-D3H Rev 1.1
                          GA-Z77-D3H BIOS F23a mod
                          Core i5 3570K @ 3.8 MHz
                          Kingston HyperX Blue 9-9-9-24 @ 1.65v
                          Kingston SSD AHCI Mode
                          Two 1TB Seagate
                          ATI 6850
                          850W 80+ Gold PSU
                          Air Cooling
                          Windows 7 x64 SP1

Comment

Originally posted by Chike View Post
                            The method I linked is not the one with the reg file.
                            Yes? I didn't mention anything about the link you posted. The one on the MS knowledge base is what I refered to in my posts, and requires you extract the AHCI driver from Intel Matrix Storage Manager using the -a switch, then run a reg file, reboot to the BIOS, set AHCI, boot to windows, install Matrix storage manager to make certain all registry entries are as Intel intended then reboot again. This has the advantage of working with XP, XPx64, Vista, Vistax64, Win7, and Win7x64.

For the record, I recently installed XP so I could create a backup image to restore in case I needed to use XP quickly for some reason. Using the method you linked to did not work. The driver was the correct version needed, but Device Manager simply refused to let me choose it after clicking "Have Disk". It was the correct version because using the same driver and the MS KB method worked fine.

If you read the comments for that guide, there's a lot of people who also could not get this to work, one way or another.

This method is valid for both the ICH10R and standard ICH10, if it supports AHCI, which I believe it does. It's not essential to change but it offered a good improvement for me. My SSD read went from 250MB/s to 269MB/s and random 4K writes rose from 49MB/s to 60MB/s. In combination with the XP disk cache tweaks, it offered me a huge performance boost.
                            P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14

Comment

Yes I did read the comments for this method, it doen't work with acer 4530, too bad for them. Comment 32 from another happy GB user shows it does work.

I have tried the reg file method but I could not find one for ICH10 and tryin to edit it myself did not came up well either.

It must be done exactly as showed. After installing Intel Matrix Storage Manager eith -a right click IDE Channel, choose update, then select the infi from the driver folder.
                              Adding hardware does not work, won't let you choose anything even after selection the right inf.

Comment

Working...
                              X