GA P55 UD6 ram issues.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA P55 UD6 ram issues.

I got a hold of this motherboard, and I bought a kit of GSkill Ripjaw 1600MHz CAS7 ram. Overclocking to a 200 blck I am able to set the ram at spec and it is stable. When I try to run a 201 blck, the ram fails, anything over 1600mhz fails. SO I dropped the divider to 6X and I can pass 200 no issue. ( yes , timings and voltages were adjusted to try to get them to run @1616MHz)

Two things hit me here.

1) dropping the ram divider and running them at CAS 9 (auto latencies) at 1260MHz gives better performance than the stock rated 1600MHz at 7-8-7-24...Why?

2) I am looking for a set of ram known to do over 2000Mhz with no issues on the UD6....recommendations?

Thanks in advance, Chad
    Last edited by chad_sebring; 11-14-2009, 02:29 PM.

Re: GA P55 UD6 ram issues.

I believe there is a Dual Channel Kit of the Mushkin that Lsdmeasap reviewed. I know several people using this kit (contains the same modules, just one less ofc). http://forums.tweaktown.com/f58/mush...-review-34046/ is the triple channel kit. Not sure if the model number on those sticks is refering to an actual tri-channel kit or if it's just the code for each model.

One guy has had good results at 8-8-8-24 running them DDR-2000. this was at 1.66V, same as Lsdmeasap used. He also got ~DDR-2150 going with 9-9-9-27 and ~1.7V. Of course, caution and correct settings for other voltages like QPI were needed when going over ~1.65V. It is obvious you know what you're doing on that front but I always make sure to mention caution with any voltage changes. If you are willing to go higher with the volts and drop to 9-10-9-28 or looser you may indeed get much more out of them. He was unable to get DDR-2400 stable and stay within his personal voltage "comfort zone" if less than 1.8V for benching and 1.75V for 24/7.

As to why you are getting better results at higher CAS and lower clocks rather than 7-8-7-24 being the better performer, I can only think of three causes. The first would be that maybe the board and RAM don't get on as well as they should. Have you tried the latest Beta BIOS if there is one?

Second possible reason is if not using a constant BCLK. FOr example if using a higher BCLK and lower frequency you may get better results. This isn't the cause though as you've stated you're using a constant200 BCLK.

The third and most likely may have something to do with advanced timings including Performance Level/Static tRead. The board may be able to set a significantly lower tRead at the slower frequency and looser main timings than at 7-8-7-24 and DDR-1600. Could you check with Memset what the tRead, tRFC and other advanced timings are for both speeds you mention? Posting a screenshot for each speed used would be most interesting.

tRead can make differences of between ~200-400MB bandwidth (increase) for each value you can lower it by. After Cas value it's the second most powerful timing performance wise. It's possible if tRead is significantly lower it can "over power" the negatives of a looser CAS value.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Comment

let me first off reply with the fact that that has to be one of the best replies I have ever gotten on any forum.

After looking over my ram timings you are correct in assuming the secondary timings are drastically lower. I guess I'm still a bit old school in my ram logic, i5/ddr3 makes me feel almost retarded about all my previous knowledge;)

I will look into those Muskins...do you know if they have a more specific dual channel i5 kit, not that I mind the extra stick, but from what I read of Muskins, they are very specific to certain boards, and I'm sure you recommend them out of love, but I really have no use for the extra stick. Also his tests were on an X58.

I will however look into your timing and voltage suggestions for over 1600 and report back wih any progress or more defeat. I can appreciate your warnings on the voltages, but I'm more of a monkey see monkey do overclocker. If its been done with success, I have no issues adding love where it is needed.

Thanks again, Chad.
      Last edited by chad_sebring; 11-14-2009, 04:03 PM.

Comment

I believe these are the ones my mate has: 996679 - 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800 7-8-7-20 Blackline (Dual Kit)

Same IC's as the tri-channel kit I believe, just sold under the Blackline. they have the same really effective Frostbite heatsink which will keep them cool with minimal air flow.

As all components vary a little, you may get different results. The good thing is, there's a 50:50 chance you could get better results. Although they're not on any compatibility list they do work with both the UD6 and UD5 perfectly. Even all auto settings (not something I'd run) had no problems, making them good sticks for a novice who just wants them to work as well as us tweakers.

Those Ripjaw are nice sticks too. I've recommended those to a couple of people, as in the UK they're extremely good value when you take into account their higher end clock speed and nice tight timings. Both those factors and the affordability creates a great synergy.

I am of the same mind RE voltages. The warning was more for others reading this for advice that may not have as much knowledge on the implications of too much voltage and how CPU VTT/Uncore should be within 0.5V of VDIMM to prevent CPU damage. Sometimes I even get brave and just think "Sod it, I'll crank it up a notch". I've only built P55 systems at stock though so far. I haven't has an opportunity to start experimenting yet unfortunately.

My P55 possible re-build will be in July 2010 if funds permit. It's definitely going to be a hard choice between the Mushkin, Ripjaw and a lower end set of DDR-1333. Hopefully any over clocking short comings on the Ripjaw are solvable with a BIOS fix. I'll be getting a P55A-UD5 (only need two PCIe etc), so hopefully by then, DR-2000 at CAS 8 or even CAS 9 will be a great bang for buck deal.

Definitely let us know how you get on. You may be able to coax those Ripjaw to ~DDR-1800+ with some advanced timing tweaking, starting off really loose on all of them including tRead, then finding the frequency you'd like and tightening up after.
        P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
        2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
        3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)

Comment

Son of a b.... I was recommended those and opted for the $25 cheaper kit of ripjaws. Live and learn i guess...lol

Would you assume if i were to set 1.7V to these ripjaws, set 9-9-9-27 timings, leaving the rest on auto, i should be able to run 1616MHz on the Gskills, because even there i fail. Am I assuming too much to let the board choose the trfc and such to make it happen at such a small increase?

Comment

I would say you'd be OK setting auto on all but tRFC and tRead. Most of the time Gigabyte boards especially are very good at guessing values for auto/reading the SPD. Those Ripjaw may be very tightly binned, possibly meaning that a very small frequency change could need advanced timing adjustments.

Where most Gigabyte boards (in my experience) fail to get things 100% right is with tRead. I either get a non bootable/ unstable tRead or one that is set way too loose (too big a number) for anything more than a moderate OC.

Do you have the latest beta BIOS for the UD6? Stasio posts all beta's in his thread in the sticky's as soon as they're released. A flash with QFlash may change things. There have been a lot of "Improves RAM Compatibility" in the release notes of P55 boards recently. Also the Betas are safe to use, and stable. They're 100% functional etc. I've only used betas for the last 6 months and all have been good.
            P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14

Comment

Looks like it may take the beta bios after all. A couple hours messing around with timings, and 1.7V I can't crack the 200/1600 limit without dropping the divider.

I'm a bit burnt today with this, so I'll most likely flash it tomorrow to see if I gain anything.

Comment

I'm not entirely sure if this is the correct forum to raise such a question, but it would appear that gigabyte and i5 are simply not cooperating.

I have recently purchased both a gigabyte p55 ud3 motherboard and an i5 processor. I also have 2 lots of 2x2gb RAM sticks, 2 of which are 1333Mhz and the other 2 are 1600Mhz.

My problem is that I can not, for the life of me, get the motherboard to recognize channel B. When i enter the relevant BIOS screen, I get some information on all ram slots, and what is currently populating them, which is displaying 2048 in each. However, below that I get a row which indicates 'Enabled' channels, which is only reflecting 2048 in channel A.

So essentially, my motherboard is detecting and 'Enabling' slots 1 and 3, however not 2 and 4.

I've tried a BIOS update to no avail. I understand there can be issues with using varying types of RAM, but i've attempted to isolate this issue by using just one set, with the same results.

I've also attempted to manually set the timings for each channel, once again with no luck.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

--Shane

Comment

Sorry to have missed your post all this time Chad!

The issue very well could be due to the board/BIOS being so new, did you try the latest BIOS ever? I know they have released many here lately to resolve issues.

Are you still working on this project? If you are, maybe I can offer you some further advice. I really think the P55 boards have more issues with memory than the X58 boards due to the locked uncore multi's

@ Swild

Please first be sure you have the memory in the correct slots, that would be the white ones labeled 1+3 if using only a single set. To use slots 2+4 you would need slots 1+3 populated.

You may be doing all that correctly, and know about how that all should be, I just wanted to get it out there in case you did not.

You may have a bad slot, if you are using all channels at once and one channel is not detecting properly. You could also have bent CPU Socket pins, you may want to check this if you are already setup outside your case.

You should not be mixing memory, this can almost always cause issues. Especially since the ones you are trying to mix are not anywhere near the same.

Are you now using the latest BIOS? If not, what version are you using?

Please grab a template from my signature and give me your full settings you are trying now, and a link or model # for the specific set of ram you are now using and I will see if I can help you get going. I am very concerned about the ram mix though, as this could be the whole problem

Comment

Wow, thanks for the very prompt reply first and foremost.

Yep, i thus far have the RAM installed in the order it should be, 1&3 and 2&4.
                    I have also just today updated to the latest BIOS version.
                    In regards to the mixing RAM, could the initial mix have caused permanent damage? I have tried isolating the RAM to one set, but the only way I can have it recognize (well it does recognize in bios, but does not appear as 'enabled') is to have the 2 sticks in 1 and 2 as opposed to 1 and 3.

Excuse the crudity of the following signature.

Cheers,

Sapphire Radeon 5850 1024Mb

Comment

Anytime, I am here to help!

No, mixing ram wont cause any damage at all, physical or permanent. Sometimes it will work, if the memory specs are similar, but since your's are so different it may be hard or near impossible to get them working together.

Try this, try putting in the 1600Mhz sticks in 1+3, then set them up running at 1333Mhz with loose settings and higher ram voltage (Maybe 1.66-1.68), and set PCH Voltage to 1.2-1.24, QPI/Vtt voltage to 1.35-1.46. Then save and apply F10, and reboot back to the BIOS, then shut down. Then put the 1333Mhz sticks into the remaining slots and see if it will then start and allow you to enter the BIOS. If so there may be hope, if not you may just need to use one set or the other, until you get matched pairs.

If you need help setting up either set alone I can indeed help with that, just let me know

Comment

Hrmm just to reiterate, I have actually tried both sets of RAM on the board without the others. So i've tried installing the corsair in 1 & 3 without the Kingston and then the vice versa - kingston in 1 & 3 and the Corsair out.

Even utilizing just one set of paired RAM sticks, it does not recognize (you know what I mean by recognize now) the 3rd slot.

I've had a further look around and it appears to be a recurring theme with the P55. One solution was simply changing the RAM...have I been unlucky enough to have 2 sets of different RAM, both of which are not properly compatible with my board?

Haha, I hope not.
                        Sapphire Radeon 5850 1024Mb

Comment

May just need to wait out proper BIOS support. I have not had a chance yet to test myself, will P55 boot with sticks only in 2+4? Just wondering, you may actually have a bad slot 3 now that you mention things that way.

You do mention this because of what I suggested right? You know it wont work due to faulty slot 3?

Have you tried adjusting the things I mentioned? Should not matter with one set really, but I just wondered.

Can you boot with any stick in slot 3 alone?

Comment

I have not tried adjusting what you recommended just yet.

Erm, I don't believe I can boot if there is not RAM in slots 1 or 2.

I attempted to boot with ram in 3 & 4 but have not tested purely 3 alone. I'll give that a shot.

The strange thing is though, the RAM is being detected, just not utilized. Even Windows (7), displays the following:

Memory: 8GB (4GB Usable)

But yeah, you are likely right. I might just need to wait for a working BIOS fix. My problem is, I have bought my parts from a terrible retailer. The extent of support they can provide me is to bring in everything, whereby they will send it back to their head office for testing. Sounds time consuming and fruitless.

Comment

Well physical slot 3 is what I thought you meant. Dual channel should be physical slots 1+3 (labeled DDR3_1 + DDR3_3)

So, which did you mean to be sure?

What OS are you using, x64 right?

Comment

Working...
                              X