gigabyte ga-ep45-ud3p can't sleep (s3) or hibernate, crashes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gigabyte ga-ep45-ud3p can't sleep (s3) or hibernate, crashes

I've got a GA-EP45-UD3P v1.6 with latest beta bios FDa. Board & windows is completely stable, verified with Prime95, LinX, and y-cruncher. I run 400 fsb with the 2.00D mch latch. 4 x 2gb kingston hyperX pc2-1066 sticks. Memtest86+ 4.0 ran 5 passes w/ no errors. I have read lots about problems with Sleep (S3) on these boards but even after all my readings I couldn't find any response from official Gigabyte rep. WHY do these boards refuse to sleep proper when FSB>400 ?? This problem seems really old, been around for at least a year or more and seems to affect all the entire series of EP45-UD3* boards.

On my system, it enters S3 sleep but the power LED does not blink like it normally should when in S3, and when I use the keyboard to wake up the system, it enters a reboot loop:
    1) power up
    2) system fans come on
    3) cd drives are briefly accessed
    4) ~4 seconds later, powers off again
    5) pause 1 second and repeats from step 1

the only way to break out of this is to kill the mains power by yanking the plug out from the PSU. Of course after this, all unsaved work is lost. Yeah I know "sleep mode" may not be the most important thing for overclockers but hey these days it costs $$$$$ to keep your comp running all the time, and I do like being able to sleep it when I go to bed etc. The point is this *should* work -- why hasn't gigabyte addressed this problem?? They should at the very least ACKNOWLEDGE it and post a status/FAQ about it and whether they will fix it.

Also, I found I cannot HIBERNATE my system either. I enabled hibernation with admin prompt -> powercfg -h ON and then the Hibernate option does appear in Win7 but when I choose hibernate, the system kind of sleeps right away (screen goes dark almost immediately, many USB devices shut down including kbd, mouse, ipod, etc) but the fans keep running and the system never powers down. Once it gets into this state, there is NO way to wake it up, the only way is again, to hold down the power button for 4 secs or to yank the power plug.

So there is resally no way to do any kind of sleeping, hibernating, hybrid sleep or any energy savings at all with this board which really sucks. I want to hear from others if they have found any solutions or anybody with inside connection to GIGABYTE -- are they ever going to fix this ???

Last edited by luckman212; 11-16-2009, 08:11 AM.

WinSAT problems too WEI experience index

bump ... nobody?

also a new problem I discovered today, that apparently is BIOS-related and specifically affects GIGABYTE boards... is that I cannot complete the WEI (Windows Experience Index) Performance Assessment in Win7. I get the error:

and this is in my C:\Windows\Performance\WinSAT\winsat.log :
    Code:
     winsat\main.cpp:4736: ERROR:  Unable to save validated results.

Comment

Re: gigabyte ga-ep45-ud3p can't sleep (s3) or hibernate, crashes

I think I ran this when I had Windows 7 RC installed, had no problems at all.

Comment

Same problem here with Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6.

The hibernate problem you described may be some Windows issue.

But the S3 sleep problem happens because Gigabyte sucks, they are not capable of providing a working S3 board/bios, that's all. I tried every configuration in bios, even stock configurations and no overclock would still lead to this problem. The only solution I found is to use only S1 and never buy anything from Gigabyte again.
        http://www.skooterweb.com
        http://www.skooterblog.com

Comment

bump. how come this issue isn't getting any attention from Gigabyte? The money I am throwing out the window leaving my PC on 24/7 could buy a whole new core i7 rig in a year.

edit: I discovered that I can now no longer successfully resume from S1 sleep either, since flashing to the FD final bios. So I have a computer that cannot do ANY kind of sleep.
          Last edited by luckman212; 12-16-2009, 07:47 AM.

Comment

Hi M8 I am no expert but I came here originally with sleep problems on my UD5 and they were all resolved with voltage tweaks in the BIOS. There are some great people here and usually someone would normally ask you to fill a template of your bios to get things checked over etc. I think they maybe having xmas diner but be patient and I'm sure you will get sorted.
            i7 920 D0 Stepping (SLBEJ)@ 4.2GHz Max
            /Arctic Silver 5/Prolimatech Megahalem & 1 x2500 rpm (PWM)
            fan PUSH & 1 x 1500 fan PULL
            /Gigabyte EX58-UD5 Intel X58 Motherboard/
            Patriot PVT36G1600LLK DDR3 1600 Mhz (8-8-8-26)
            6 GB (3x2GB Kit)/1.65V/Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 1000W
            ATX2.2 Modular SLi Compliant Power Supply/2
            x Crucial SSD M225 64Gb Raid-0/
            2 x 1TB SpinPoint SATA-II 32MB Cache/
            Sapphire 5870 1GB Video Graphics/
            Windows 7 64/HAF 932 CoolerMaster
            STABILITY......................................... ...............
            prime95+ blend 24 hours - pass
            Memtest+ 10 Passes - No errors
            prime95+ large FFT 12 hours - pass
            Linx (full memory) 25 passes - pass
            Furmark - 1+ hour - error/problem free

Comment

Re: WinSAT problems too WEI experience index

Originally posted by luckman212 View Post
              bump ... nobody?

also a new problem I discovered today, that apparently is BIOS-related and specifically affects GIGABYTE boards... is that I cannot complete the WEI (Windows Experience Index) Performance Assessment in Win7. I get the error:

and this is in my C:\Windows\Performance\WinSAT\winsat.log :
              Code:
               winsat\main.cpp:4736: ERROR:  Unable to save validated results.
              Your computer is not stable. Show me a 24 hr prime 95 run. sleep works win7 x86 and vista x64. i click on sleep, computer powers down. come back in 5 min or 1hr by pressing left click. computer wakes up 5 sec. i just tried it right now. my browser is still there right where i left off. sorry to hear your problem. don't need to see a 50 pass linx run mkay

p45 ud3p 1.6 fb stable but fd fails or is it just my ocz incompatibility?!? This guy has problems uniquely similar to mine. I'm starting to think this ocz brand is just not that great. JR P45 driving me crazy!

MB Rev: ga-ep45-ud3p 1.6 Bios Ver: fd
              Cpu:E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB
              Ram:OCZ Reaper HPC 2x2GB DDR2 1066 Dual Channel Kit
              PSU:Antec EA500
              Chipset: Thermalright HR-05 SLI/IFX
              SB: TT Extreme Spirit II

Comment

S3 sleep is a known issue with the UD3 range of boards. Many other board ranges have had problems in the past that were eventually fixed by Gigabyte. fbreve would like us all to believe that Gigabyte is the only manufacturer that has S3 issues but that's complete cr-ap.

The WEI is also a known bug and Gigabyte are aware of it. Expect a fix in the next beta BIOS or final release. Until then, fortunately nothing much relies on the WEI and the performance numbers are pretty meaningless. If you have a SSD, the WEI is the primary way that Windows detects the presence of a SSD. Without a completed WEI run one will have to manually disable scheduled defrag, superfetch, prefetch and readyboost.

Your PC may well be quite stable, and I know what you meant in your first sentence. However the phrase "completely stable" when applied to a PC is a misnomer. There is no such thing as completely stable, only varying degrees of likely instability. For example if a PC has completed 12 hours of Prime95 then it can be called Prime Stable for 12 hours. Here the name of the program and the time tested for MUST be used when talking stability. As far as anyone knows it would have been entirely possible, had the test not been stopped after 12 hours, that at 12 hours and 1 minute an error could have been produced. Each passing hour of prime makes the chance of instability go down exponentially, but the only way to verify 100% stability would be to test until the end of time itself.

Regardless of the degree of stability of the system, it's vital you test S3 and S1 when at stock. If it sleeps at stock and not when OC'd it is still possible that a BIOS setting (more voltage, looser timings changing CPU Ref etc) could stabilize the system enough to allow S1/3.
                Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
                Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
                P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
                Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
                TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
                2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
                2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
                Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
                Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
                WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
                Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
                Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
                3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
                Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Comment

I had several boards from Asus and none of them have the S3 Sleep problem. So I don't believe that other boards have this kind of issue, at least they don't have issues with stock configurations.

Gigabyte has this issue with stock configuration, they had years to fix that and they did nothing.

Comment

So because you've had Asus boards that can sleep that means that the entire Asus range can? Ok... That makes sense......

Asus s3 problems - Google Search

msi s3 problems - Google Search

All those issues must be lies then, seeing as you don't believe in them...

Sh1t loads of Gigabyte boards have had S3 issues fixed at around the 3-5 BIOS update point. The only range that's having consistent problems is the UD3 series. Even then, the majority are fine with entering S3 when not OC'd.

You seem to be confusing "not being able to fix" with "not bothering to even try". How the hell do you know that efforts haven't been made to TRY and fix things?

Would you like some cheese with your whine?

If you're that disappointed with your Gigabyte board fbreve, then sell it, bin it, whatever. Over 50% of your posts are utter rubbish, pure opinion you're passing off as fact. Like the guy in the bar who constantly gets too drunk and becomes abusive, you're one customer Gigabyte could do without. Trawling this forum for any opportunity to whinge and moan about S3 is getting old, fast. Don't you have anything better to do?
                    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
                    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
                    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
                    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
                    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
                    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
                    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
                    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
                    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
                    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
                    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
                    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
                    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
                    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Comment

Originally posted by Psycho101 View Post
                      So because you've had Asus boards that can sleep that means that the entire Asus range can? Ok... That makes sense......
                      No, it means that I never had S3 Sleep problems with Asus and I have S3 Sleep problems with Gigabyte.

Sh1t loads of Gigabyte boards have had S3 issues fixed at around the 3-5 BIOS update point. The only range that's having consistent problems is the UD3 series. Even then, the majority are fine with entering S3 when not OC'd.
                      I don't care about other boards, I care about my board which they didn't fix after years.

You seem to be confusing "not being able to fix" with "not bothering to even try". How the hell do you know that efforts haven't been made to TRY and fix things?
                      If they are trying for more than one year and didn't fix yet, they should admit their own incompetence, make a recall and give a working board to everybody that they deceive.

If you're that disappointed with your Gigabyte board fbreve, then sell it, bin it, whatever. Over 50% of your posts are utter rubbish, pure opinion you're passing off as fact. Like the guy in the bar who constantly gets too drunk and becomes abusive, you're one customer Gigabyte could do without. Trawling this forum for any opportunity to whinge and moan about S3 is getting old, fast. Don't you have anything better to do?
                      I paid for this board and I paid a lot, so throwing it in the garbage isn't a solution. Gigabyte could do without me and I can do without Gigabyte, but I don't find money in trees, therefore I can't buy a new board right now, I'll have to live with this crappy Gigabyte for more time. If you or they are bothered with my posts you or they can give my money back and I'll be happy to put this board on the garbage and buy a decent one.

Comment

Originally posted by fbreve View Post
                        I paid for this board and I paid a lot, so throwing it in the garbage isn't a solution. Gigabyte could do without me and I can do without Gigabyte, but I don't find money in trees, therefore I can't buy a new board right now, I'll have to live with this crappy Gigabyte for more time. If you or they are bothered with my posts you or they can give my money back and I'll be happy to put this board on the garbage and buy a decent one.
                        You do, IMO, deserve a motherboard that resume from sleep at stock settings, however I am not the one that will replace it if it needs to bereplaced, as the rest of the members on this board. Have you contacted GB support/RMA?

This board is only few month old. Yes it has the same model name, but it is a new revision, definately not the same board as 1.0/1.1. As for the what and why you'd have to ask GB. which I doubt they'll answer.

Since you have never posted settings for review. OC or non-OC we obviousely can't even try to comment about them either.

Comment

guys, I solved my S3 sleep problem.
                          I backed off my OC a little..........
                          I think it might be a problem with the 9x multi (??)
                          because I could do 8.5x505=4.3ghz or also 9x467=4.2 but not 9x478
                          I was even able to LOWER my voltages by a significant amount while only sacrificing 100mhz FSB. Now my system runs cooler & quieter... and I can S3 sleep & hibernate. I have settled at 9x467, using these settings I am able to S3 sleep using 4 sticks (8gb) pc1066 ram on my Q9650:
                          Code:
                          clk freq..........467 x 9 = 4.2ghz
                          gfx mode..........Turbo
                          mem latch.........400 x 2.00D
                          timings...........5-5-5-15 PL=9
                          vCore.............1.34375
                          cpu term..........1.26
                          cpu PLL...........1.50
                          cpu Ref (.63x)....0.798
                          MCH core (nb).....1.30
                          MCH Ref (VTT).....0.838
                          MCH / DRAM........1.110
                          vDIMM.............2.10
                          I am so happy.
                          Last edited by luckman212; 12-28-2009, 07:03 AM.

Comment

Nice work bro! been through that one myself.
                            i7 920 D0 Stepping (SLBEJ)@ 4.2GHz Max
                            /Arctic Silver 5/Prolimatech Megahalem & 1 x2500 rpm (PWM)
                            fan PUSH & 1 x 1500 fan PULL
                            /Gigabyte EX58-UD5 Intel X58 Motherboard/
                            Patriot PVT36G1600LLK DDR3 1600 Mhz (8-8-8-26)
                            6 GB (3x2GB Kit)/1.65V/Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 1000W
                            ATX2.2 Modular SLi Compliant Power Supply/2
                            x Crucial SSD M225 64Gb Raid-0/
                            2 x 1TB SpinPoint SATA-II 32MB Cache/
                            Sapphire 5870 1GB Video Graphics/
                            Windows 7 64/HAF 932 CoolerMaster
                            STABILITY......................................... ...............
                            prime95+ blend 24 hours - pass
                            Memtest+ 10 Passes - No errors
                            prime95+ large FFT 12 hours - pass
                            Linx (full memory) 25 passes - pass
                            Furmark - 1+ hour - error/problem free

Comment

I still have my S3 sleep issues with an EP45-U3DP, except I'm running at 100% stock settings. Nothing OC'd.
                              Gigabyte EP45-U3DP, rev 1.1, F8 BIOS
                              Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.0 GHz (no OC), E0 Stepping
                              Xigmatek HDT-S1284EE 120mm with ACK-I7753 Retention Bracket
                              G.Skill F2-6400CL4D-4GBPI-B DDR2 800 2x2GB
                              EVGA GTX 260 192 Processing Cores (no OC)
                              Seagate 640GB SATA 3.0Gbs
                              LG 22X DVD
                              Lian-Li PC-K7B
                              Corsair CMPSU-650X 650W
                              Dell 2408WFP, A02 Revision
                              Vista Ultimate 32bit, SP2

Comment

Working...
                              X