Why I'd Never Use Gigabyte Products Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why I'd Never Use Gigabyte Products Again

CPU: Intel C2Q Q6600 G0 @ 3.2GHz W/ 1.184v (Max Overclock - 4.1GHz ON AIR)
    Mobo: Gigabyte EP45-UD3P (Max Overclock - 515FSB)
    RAM: CellShock 2GB PC2-8500 @ 1200MHz 5-5-5-15 (Max Overclock - 1300MHz 5-4-4-12)
    Video Card: Gainward HD4870 GS @ 775MHz/4000MHz (Max Overclock - 835MHz/1175MHz)
    Case: Antec 1200

Re: Why I'd Never Use Gigabyte Products Again

Sorry you're unhappy with what you've bought. I completely understand your frustration.

I just wanted to say that although you have had bad experiences, others are very happy. As with any manufacturer, it's a double edged sword. Seems like you unfortunately got the side that cuts.

I've been perfectly happy with my EP45-UD3P. It's been the easiest board to get stable that I've ever used, and |I|'m no stranger to over clocking systems.

As for your 9400GT, there are several different versions of the card available. For instance there is a version with GDDR2 RAM and a 128bit memory bus, a version with GDDR2 and a 64 bit bus (the half size HTPC card) and the best version with GDDR3 and a 128 bit memory bus. The reference design specs state that which GDDR RAM is used is up to the manufacturer. Likely you bought the GDDR2 version. Unfortunate but not Gigabytes fault. See the specs list in this review for VRAM options:
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Comment

Dont worry...i had the same issue with 2 EP45-DS3P's.

Even worse than ur situation.
      First board was fine...FOR ONLY A WEEK! until i got an unrecoverable BIOS checksum error which kept making the backup bios flash the main bios. It was in an infinite loop which i had to RMA.

Funnily enough, new board arrived and i used it fine for a day. NEXT day i turn it on, i hope no BIOS checksum errors. BUT guess wat?? a BIOS checksum Error. I got extremely pissed off and ive used gigabyte parts for the past 4 years and no problem.

SO, i RMA again and this time i used an ASUS board wich is still running perfectly now.

sigh to gigabyte and their "dual bios" =.="
      Asrock P55-Extreme
      Core I5 @ 3.2GHZ
      2x2GB G.skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600
      ASUS HD5850
      1TB Samsung SATA II
      Corsair TX650W PSU

Comment

Like Psycho mentioned, there will always be lemons for all manufacturers. It of course does not take anything away from the bad experiences that some have had to deal with. I have 2 ud3p boards, and that was after using about 6-8 mobo from asus prior to that. I just wanted to try some other brand and gigabyte was on the short list. Up to date, of all the computers I have built, the ud3p is my favorite.
        1) Gigabyte EP45-UD3P (rev 1.1, bios F9) E8400 @[email protected] bios, TRUE 120, Scythe UltraKaze 44cfm, 4x2gb GSkill 8500, Visiontek 3870, Corsair TX850, Antec 900, Win7-64 Home.
        2) Gigabyte EP45-UD3P (rev 1.1, bios F9) E8400 @[email protected] bios, TRUE 120, Schythe UltraKaze 44 cfm, 4x2gb Buffalo FireStyx 8500, XFX 5770, Corsair AX850, CM Scout, WinXP Pro/Win 7-64 Home.
        3) Gigabyte P55A-UD4P (rev 1.0, bios F5) i5 750 @[email protected] bios, CM Hyper 212+, 4x2gb G.Skill Ripjaw 1600, 7900GS, Corsair TX750, CM Scout, Win7 Pro-64.
        4) Asus P8Z68-V Pro (bios 0801), i5-2500K @[email protected] cpuz, Megahalem rev.B, 4x4gb GSkill Sniper 1600, Corsair AX850, Antec 902, Corsair Performance 3 128GB, Win7-64 Home.

Comment

Here a hint stop overclocking the carp out of your motherbaord and maybe it last longer then a few months
          You know I own min Gigabyte motherboard even some dating 20+ year ago.
          The way I look at it that your problem for Overclock it in frist place.

Comment

In a way it may be our faults if things go belly up when over clocking. I agree with you to an extent SHSPVR.

Gigabyte and most other board manufacturers are just as guilty though for perpetuating peoples want and compulsion to over clock. The OC scene is now taken advantage of by countless manufacturers of boards, RAM GPU's & Graphics cards, CPU's PSU's etc etc. You name it, they brag about it being in some kind of world record attempt. "The CPU that stays stable at -200c" etc.

They milk over clocking, but in an instant if you mention OCing and a failed component, repeat the age old mantra: "You overclocked, so no warranty for you". A bit hypercritical in my book. Not too serious though, mostly it's a "don't ask don't tell" thing when it comes to RMA's.

With component quality the way it is today I can say with 99% certainty that fatguy1992's hardware was not damaged due to over clocking. He cools everything well (think I read about / saw pics on XS of him using phase change. If it's not safe to over clock with a freezer strapped to your CPU then I don't know what is. How do you make it more component friendly than that? I suppose liquid Nitrogen or liquid Helium would keep board temps much much lower, but still...
            P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
            2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
            3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)

Comment

What does it achieve jumping onto a forum about Gigabyte products, not to ask for advice or any questions only to have a rant about some problems that you immediatly dump straight onto Gigabyte.

Your first board is an intermittent fault. Who charged you the testing fee (was it gigabyte or the shop you took it to)? I work in IT and we charge a testing fee for testing a product that works. The warranty service is there for faulty products. If you present me with a video card that is not faulty and I spend time testing it, the fee covers my time. As stated before, if you can prove it is faulty, you are entitled to a refund. but until they can get it to fault, it works.

Second board, regardless of what cooling you are doing. Getting a 2.4GHz to close to 5GHz and then complaining that it doesn't get the same result next time. It starting and stopping is typically it trying to load its backup BIOS due to failing POST due to settings.

The 9400GT is your own fault for not looking at model numbers, or the fault of the place you bought it from for not having enough product information advertised. Gigabyte make different versions. Read which one you are buying.

Your mouse, probably can't be helped as tight as quality checking can be, it is 3 months of use. When they tested it, it obviously worked.

People generally don't appreciate the technology you are buying for such a (relatively) small amount of money. A lot (understatement) can go wrong with a motherboard and a return rate of x% is expected when you manufacture thousands of items.

As a comparison for poor quality assurance, I built a PC this afternoon which was dead and it turned out to be the Motherboard after a few quick tests. I went and grabbed another one, which also turned out to be dead. I started mixing parts to make sure, and yes I had 2 dead boards, so I grabbed another one, same result. I then grabbed the whole stack from the shelf and tested them all. 13 Dead boards, consecutive serial numbers, don't POST. Until I sort this out with our rep from the manufacturer I won't go bad mouthing them, it's not Gigabyte, and it is a large manufacturer. That would be something to complain about.

Saying you hope they go out of business..grow up and have something constructive to say
              Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3
              Intel E6400 @ 3.2GHz
              Kingston 1GB x 4 PC5300 @ 800MHz
              Zotac 8800GT AMP! @ 770MHz

Comment

Well i do believe this is the 4th site he has posted that in, he/she might be a hit and run flamer. Extreme overclocking knocks the life down for every component that's involved, so don't be surprised if you have a failure. Currently I have a EX58-UD3r with my I7-920 overclocked to 3.2ghz on 1.20v with my mem set at 1600 24/7 EL WU's from F@H with my temps maxing out at 68'C under a CoolerMaster Hyper N520 hsf and I couldn't be happier.

Comment

At the end of the day, it's clear to everyone that Fatguy1992 has done himself no favours in the credibility stakes. The message's contents are rude and inappropriate. If his concerns/annoyances were put forward in a more constructive and civilised way, people would have read and listened to him. The conclusion however would be the same. 10% Extreme overclocking + 90% bad luck is probably to blame. And yes, as said, it's always vital you look at specs of what you buy. That 9400GT is a perfectly legitimate product.

For every one problem with any companies products there are 100's if not 1000's that are very happy. The problem with internet forums etc is that most come here with problems. that's the nature of a support forum. I hear lots of statements from new posters asking for help for example with their RAM and saying something like "I hear there's a lot of problems with my board and xxx model of RAM". This isn't usually true. The only posts one is likely to find if searching the motherboard and RAM combo owned will be about config problems etc. I have seen a couple of posts where people just pop in when extremely happy with their components. That's always really nice to see. Mostly it's issues though, which can usually be resolved.

I don't think the OP has damaged Gigabytes rep in any way, just his own, sadly...

**EDIT*** Yoshi's completely correct. If it works for them, what can they do? They have to pass it as working. If it's genuinely an intermitant fault, taking the matter up with customer services can help. They can use their discression, over riding the need for the item to be tested again etc. Has happened to me for instance with a BFG PSU that whined like a badly beaten dog. The first time they found no problem, I re-submitted and they then heard it (sent me a sound recording of the noise and an appology).

All manufacturers have their failures which as said are taken into account, which is why RMA stock is kept back in case it's needed. Returns are swapped out then the faulty returns are refurbed and themselves used as RMA stock. Perfectly legitimate. 13 bad boards is a lot and hopefully you'll never encounter that again. I have a feeling the rep will be doing some major sucking up to you. Well done on keeping your cool too, that IS an issue to be annoyed over.
                  Last edited by Psycho101; 11-13-2009, 12:32 PM.
                  P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14

Comment

I have heard good things about Gigabyte lately from staff at Micro Center. I use Intel boards for lowend computers and Supermicro Server boards for workstation builds.

A lot of build issues are incompatibility issues. It is also mismatched components. Users buying the wrong RAM spec for their board and CPU. They buy overclocking ram that does not have a tight timing so builds fail. A lowend power supply that is too small or poor quality causes a lot of issues. Many boards don't properly set the voltage for the RAM. Many undervolt it by 0.1V. You have to verify that your RAM voltage is set correctly.

In his case, I would have started bare bones. Reset the CMOS to default. No overclocking. Installed the CPU with a single stick of RAM that was properly timed and had the voltage set correctly. I would install a PCI video card that is vanilla and very generic. Nothing that would conflict like the newer higher end cards. Install a few items as possible even disable on-board sound. Make sure you install the latest chipset drivers that are matched to the SATA RAID drivers. I have seen this conflict cause his problems. Verify his correct video card BIOS and the motherboard BIOS don't conflict.

This is why I stay with Intel and Supermicro. Less compatibility issues.
                    Last edited by SCSIraidGURU; 11-13-2009, 07:15 PM.

Comment

All manufacturers produce countless motherboards every year. Sucks you had to be the one that got the lemons. Perhaps if u didn't go around everywhere crying about it you would have a bit better luck.

Psycho has said it all, and Fatguy has said nothing but " i complain about a manufacturers products yet still use an ep45-ud3p" If its so bad go on ahead and replace it with a no-name brand. Pretty hypocritical .
                      i7 930 @ 4.2 ghz (200x21) 1.34 vcore 1.33 qpi
                      Noctua U12P se1366 Push Pull w/scythe slipstreams
                      6GBOCZ1333 @ 1600 - 9 9 9 24 1.64v
                      Gigabyte EX58-UD3R f11
                      Corsair tx750 PSU
                      EVGA GTX260 SC
                      Intel SSD80GBG2C1 OS/Apps
                      WD Caviar Black 500gb Data
                      ASUS Xonar DX
                      Klipsch Promedia 2.1
                      CM690 Case 3 in 3 out
                      Windows 7 64bit

Comment

DINNER.
                        P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14

Comment

Gigabyte does have a good reputation.

1.) Don't overclock for 3-4 weeks after a build. Make sure its stable on spec.
                          2.) Use a quality power supply. I only use PC Power and Cooling
                          3.) Make sure your RAM is tested and recommended for your board. Kingston and Crucial do test on many boards
                          4.) Start barebones: CPU/HSF, one stick of RAM, video card, no hard drives, a few fans for a load. Use a PCI video card to really limit compatibility issues.
                          5.) Verify on forums and manufacturer web site that your hardware is compatible.
                          6.) I start by going to the latest BIOS rev and downloading the latest drivers.
                          7.) Keep good notes of settings and configurations so you can back track on problems and don't recreate the same problems.

Comment

Yes, I have been having issues since i first got my v 1.6 ga-ep45-ud3p. slot 1&3 doesn't work but only on 800mhz . FDa bios came out and tried it. It would not pass memtest86+ 4.00 optimized defaults. I've been 800mhz since.

I thought about running mch at 1.30 - 1.36v to run 1066 but i hesistated when i read the specs for the p45 chipset's max voltage at 1.21v

Will be trying bios FC soon on GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - BIOS - GA-EP45-UD3P (rev. 1.6)

SCSIraidGURU, very, very nice rig. Seriously jealous. lol. Can we see pics?
                            Last edited by R_Hollandtekk; 11-17-2009, 09:18 AM.

p45 ud3p 1.6 fb stable but fd fails or is it just my ocz incompatibility?!? This guy has problems uniquely similar to mine. I'm starting to think this ocz brand is just not that great. JR P45 driving me crazy!

MB Rev: ga-ep45-ud3p 1.6 Bios Ver: fd
                            Cpu:E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB
                            Ram:OCZ Reaper HPC 2x2GB DDR2 1066 Dual Channel Kit
                            PSU:Antec EA500
                            Chipset: Thermalright HR-05 SLI/IFX
                            SB: TT Extreme Spirit II

Comment

the OP has pasted word for word the exact same thread on other forums.
                              Maybe instead of spam complaining OP, you should just CHOOSE A DIFFERENT BRAND?
                              im sick of seeing repeat vendor verdict threads about how bad such and such brand is.

I already had your OCAU thread removed. IMO this one should have the same thing done.
                              Gaming: GIGABYTE X58-UD5 - i7 920 C0 - Noctua NH-U12P - 6GB OCZ Platinum PC3-10666 CL7 - Sapphire HD5870 - Antec P182 - TruePower Trio 650w - 3 Acer X243HB in Eyefinity - 2 x 500GB ST3500320AS 7200.11, SD1A - MS Digital Media KB - Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Server: - HP Proliant MicroServer N36L - 4GB Team 1333 CL9 - 1x 160 2.5 5400RPM - 2x 500GB ST3500320AS 7200.11, SD1A - 1x 250GB ST3500320AS 7200.12 - 1x 1.5TB ST3500320AS 7200.12

HTPC1
                              : GIGABYTE EP45-UD3L - E7600 - 2GB Corsair DHX 800 C5 - GIGABYTE 8500GT - Antec Fusion - Microsoft Comfort Wireless / Logitech MX1000 bt - Windows 7 Ultimate x64

HTPC2
                              : GIGABYTE 945GCMX-S2 - E6320 - 2GB Corsair DHX 800 C5 - GIGABYTE 7600GT - Antec Fusion - Windows 7 Ultimate x64

HTPC3:
                              GIGABYTE P35-DS4 - E6750 - 4GB OCZ System Elite 800 - GIGABYTE 8800GTX - TT Shark - Earthwatts 500w - DeNovo Mini - Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Comment

Working...
                              X