Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: P55-UD4P: Bus speed resets to 133 after S3 Resume

Originally posted by ekoostik View Post
    My speed doesn't change. But my CAS Latency does (as reported by CPU-Z). Also I think my command rate. Tell your "friend" to check his event log for a "The platform firmware has corrupted memory across the previous system power transition. Please check for updated firmware for your system." (HAL Error 12) message at the time it went to sleep.
    I will ask him to check. As for CAS becomes 4 after resuming from S3, it may be CPUZ issue. CAS of easy tune6 does not change from S3 resume.

Comment

My P55-UD4P is exhibiting many of the same problems as described by the previous posters. When returning from S3 Sleep, CAS changes from 9 to 4 and the Command Rate changes from 1T to 2T. These changes in memory timing are shown by three programs: CPU-Z, CPU-Tweaker and Everest Ultimate. All three programs show the correct timings after a fresh boot and the altered timings after resuming from S3 Sleep. The Everest memory benchmarks show an increase in latency from 43 ns to 46 ns after resuming from Sleep so the Command Rate timing appears to be actually changing, although I doubt the CAS is really changing because it probably wouldn't even boot if it really changed from 9 to 4.

I have tried the F3, F4r, F4t and F4v BIOS and they all have the same problem. Interestingly, I don't see any error messages in the Event log like some of the other posters.

I'm currently running an i7-860 at a Bclk of 188 (3.95 GHz).

Comment

Have you opened a ticket with Gigabyte about this?
        i7 860 | Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2 | CM Hyper212+ | 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 CAS9 (F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL) | Radeon HD 4670 (Gigabyte GV-R467ZL-1GI) | Corsair CMPSU-450VX | WD Caviar Black 640GB | Seagate LP 1TB | Sony Optiarc Black 24x | CM Elite 310 (RC-310-BWN1-GP) + 120mm front intake | Dell UltraSharp 2208WFP (1680x1050) | Windows 7 Pro x64

Comment

I read this CAS 4 issue was Intel X58 chipset specific and they planned to correct it in the revised chipsets. Odd to hear it is in P55, makes me wonder if either Intel could not correct it and it carried over to P55 or it was not chipset specific and they could not correct it still?

Odd to see that's for sure. And yes many programs show it, so I doubt it is any one specific program errors. I though it was an incorrect report from the Northbridge registers, which was to be corrected according to the X58 chipset change log I saw.

Looks like they still have been unable to fix this.

I will ask and see if I can find anything out

Comment

I am still trying to fix my BCLK reduction problem. Sometimes, when Windows resumes I see one or two refreshes with my previous bus (155MHZ) in CPU-Z and after that it changed to the default 133MHZ.

It let me think maybe windows is loading some kind of driver that changes my BCLK.

I tried to remove ET6 and Smart6 and installing the newer version. Uninstalling succeeded but installing give me error of "Error Number: 0x80040707 Description: DLL function call crashed: CheckFK.SearchBIOSStr Setup will now terminate." Error is also given when trying to install Smart6.

I tried Gigabyte's support, but besides getting an answer of try to update the bios and check with your retailer, It wasn't very helpful.

Any clues of which drivers can affect my BCLK ?

Comment

MBIL - I'm not sure what your problem is but I'm definitely not seeing the Bclk reduction problem you're experiencing.

My primary OS is Vista x64 Ultimate, although I also have Win7 x64 Ultimate and XP installed. From my experience, don't even bother with Smart6 - it doesn't provide anything useful. I'm running ET6 Build 2009.09.17 in Vista and it seems to work fine and lets me control the voltages and Bclk.

You might want to uninstall Smart6 and ET6, backup your registry and then run regedit. Search for all registry entries pertaining to Smart6 and ET6 and delete them. From personal experience, you'll find lots of leftover Registry entries pertaining to Smart6 and ET6.

Once you've cleaned the registry, search the hard drive for Smart6 and ET6 files and delete them also. Once all remnants are gone, set the Bclk in the BIOS, boot into Windows and then put the machine to sleep and see if Bclk changes.

I'll try putting Win7 to Sleep and see what happens and report back to you.

Good luck!

Comment

MBIL - I just went into Win7 x64 Ultimate, checked my RAM timings with CPU-Tweaker (9,9,9,22,1T Bclk=188 MHz). I then put the machine into S3 Sleep and when it resumed, CPU-Tweaker reported the timings as 4,9,9,22,2T Bclk=188.

So the RAM timings are still changing, like in Vista x64, but the Bclk is not changing. While this doesn't help you directly, at least you know the Bclk change is not a normal occurrence.

Doug

Comment

MBIL:
                  How about change other power supply to check? borrow it from your friend to test for example. S3 is related to memory and power supply.

Comment

I cleaned the registry of all smart6 and ET6 keys I found (there were plenty of them) and renamed all gigabyte's folder in my program files -> It didn't help for my problem.
                    After the cleaning I was able to install ET6. BCLK still resets to 133MHZ after resume, though I can set it to 155MHZ with ET6.
                    A weird thing after setting the BCLK with ET6 is that my multiplier is always between 23-24 (means OCed to about 3.7GHZ) and is not throttled down by EIST (which is enabled in BIOS).
                    Unfortunately changing PSUs is a bit problematic, because most of my friends have none-branded PSUs.

Another thing that tends to happen is freezing in Windows logon screen (It started to happen when I moved from my old Geforce 6600 to Radeon HD5770).
                    Last thing, when installing Catalyst drivers I get BSOD when ATI is loading their diagnostic drivers. I succeeded installing them when disabling my onboard NICS, wierd...
                    I don't think that the last two things are connected to my main problem, though I don't really know.

Comment

Originally posted by MBIL View Post
                      After the cleaning I was able to install ET6. BCLK still resets to 133MHZ after resume, though I can set it to 155MHZ with ET6.
                      Have you tried making the bclk change directly in BIOS?
                      i7 860 | Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2 | CM Hyper212+ | 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 CAS9 (F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL) | Radeon HD 4670 (Gigabyte GV-R467ZL-1GI) | Corsair CMPSU-450VX | WD Caviar Black 640GB | Seagate LP 1TB | Sony Optiarc Black 24x | CM Elite 310 (RC-310-BWN1-GP) + 120mm front intake | Dell UltraSharp 2208WFP (1680x1050) | Windows 7 Pro x64

Comment

Of course, BCLK in BIOS is set to 155MHZ, but resets after S3 resume.

Comment

The BIOS engineers are looking into this guys!

It is nothing on your end, so please wait for BIOS updates to correct this Bclk issue.

Comment

I tried to remove ET6 and Smart6 and installing the newer version. Uninstalling succeeded but installing give me error of "Error Number: 0x80040707 Description: DLL function call crashed: CheckFK.SearchBIOSStr Setup will now terminate." Error is also given when trying to install Smart6.

I tried Gigabyte's support, but besides getting an answer of try to update the bios and check with your retailer, It wasn't very helpful.
                            This is a common problem and should not be blamed on third party programs, BIOS'es needing to be updated or whatever. There is no reason the installer should crash that way, other than errors in the program's code.

I get the exact same error message here - "DLL function call crashed: CheckFK.SearchBIOSStr" - when trying to install both the version of Easy Tune 6 which came with the motherboard and the latest version available from Gigabyte (build 9.1120.1), after a clean install of XP Pro SP3 on a GA-M720-US3 motherboard with a Phenom II X4 810 CPU and a GeForce GTX 260 c216 video card.

I tried contacting Gigabyte's support but that has become more and more useless over the years. They said it worked on their machine (oh, really?) and asked me to reinstall the OS (which I had just done). Then they blamed the problem on third party programs that might be installed on the system (there were none, just the latest drivers for every hardware component).

What is really a shame about this issue is that the error message is quite clear and should make it considerably easier for the programmers to find the error in their code, since the program obviously has issues which need to be looked into. After giving up on Gigabyte's support, I installed RivaTuner, MSI's Afterburner, eVGA's Precision, NVIDIA's own nTune and a few other overclocking utilities with no issues whatsoever.

Comment

I reinstalled Windows as well, but this time I didn't install EasyTune or Smart6.
                              I still have the same BCLK resets issue (I'm on F7a Bios right now).

Still hope that one day a Bios update will solve this issue.

Comment

I reinstalled Windows as well, but this time I didn't install EasyTune or Smart6.
                                I still have the same BCLK resets issue (I'm on F7a Bios right now).

Still hope that one day a Bios update will solve this issue.
                                Hi MBIL,

I have a complete different motherboard/setup than you. I replied referring only to the part of your post where you mention the Easy Tune 6 installer crashing, to show that the problem with the program is not limited to a particular motherboard.

Comment

Working...
                                X